RE: [z_scale] DCC Operation from PC

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2001
      Graham,

      I wanted the same type of operation that you described and, after extensive
      research, wound up going with the following combination of hardware and
      software:

      I use Digitrax for the interface to the computer (MS100) and booster
      (DCS100) as well as train detection (BDL16 - gives 16 sensors per card) and
      turnout control (DS54 - controls 4 turnouts) these are all wired together
      with Digitrax's loconet wiring, so it is easy to connect.

      I prefer Railroad & Co. to other computer programs. There is no programming
      language to learn, and I think it has all of the flexibility of other
      programs. They support Z scale, and include speed controls and "virtual"
      contacts via software (I.E. make a "virtual" contact 4 inches away from the
      real one - the software times how long it takes for the loco to reach the
      virtual contact, then starts slowing it down or stopping it) The software
      can even create automatic speed curves, so it does not depend on how strong
      your motor is, when you say run at 80 kph, it runs at a real Z scale 80 kph.
      Check it out at www.freiwald.com

      Best,
      -Rob

      www.z220.com

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2001
        hi there looked at rr&co but did not like the way there is no database to
        sore the loco settings so if you close a loco window its settings are lost

        and the programming language has allowed me to automate my traverser too

        A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

        now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

      • kim@blueneptune.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2001
          Grahm,
          I am using Digitrax DCC. I selected Digitrax for the DZ121 decoder for
          Z scale and all the other advanced functions that you can think of in
          DCC and it is only available in Digitrax. I also selected Railroad &
          Co because it supports other external hardware while talking with
          loconet. You can use it as a link from digitrax loconet to I/O cards.
          I am using Oaktree hardware for switches, crossing gate flashers,
          lighting etc etc much cheaper than using DS54
          Check
          http://www.oaktreesystems.com/
          If I get full transponding setup done than I can set a higher
          priority to the Ludwig train than the goods train, so when a goods
          train comes to a signal crossing the goods will be stopped for the
          Ludwig train to pass, the possibilities for automation are endless and
          you dont need to learn to program.....
          I have not used the software extensively, since my layout is still in
          progress but I belive using RR&co all train settings can be saved, you
          can automate the layout, you can also tell the software to randomely
          automate the layout, you can also program to customize to any level
          you want including custom graphics.
          Check out
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railroadandco
          You can post any questions on RR&co in this group, the folks here are
          very friendly too.
          Feel free to post any more questions you have to this group, we like
          to encourage DCC in Z scale and we can also help you by sharing our
          experience in DCC esp. installing decoders.
          Kim