Re: [z_scale] DCC Operation from PC

  • A H-Ellary
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
      hi graham

      nice to see another z dcc'er i use digitrax chief and winlok ... with
      digitrax you can use the digitrax bdl16 current sensing block detector and
      winlok will pick up the info and use it as you feel fit.. i have to
      timetables(programs) on my winlock that control a commuter train what it
      does is start the train from the terminus after a wait time it sets up the
      route to exit the station then it drives off (slowly at first) down the spur
      line to wards the junction as it approaches the junction it sets the points
      so it can join the mail line (providing the route is clear) then it
      accelerates up to speed once on the mail line ...the train then does a few
      laps around the mail line checking the signals as it goes and if a signal is
      an caution or red it takes the appropriate action. after a few laps the
      train goes around the reverse loop and does a few more laps the other way
      then parks up in the hidden sidings and waits there after a while it will
      the restart and head up to the station where it pulls in to a free platform
      and stops where it starts all over again the whole set of events take it
      around 10 mins to complete. it also when its in the hidden siding or the
      platform the loco number is displayed in a indicator box on the ctc board
      which is displayed on the computer

      if you need any further info please contact me

      A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

      now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2001
        Graham,

        I wanted the same type of operation that you described and, after extensive
        research, wound up going with the following combination of hardware and
        software:

        I use Digitrax for the interface to the computer (MS100) and booster
        (DCS100) as well as train detection (BDL16 - gives 16 sensors per card) and
        turnout control (DS54 - controls 4 turnouts) these are all wired together
        with Digitrax's loconet wiring, so it is easy to connect.

        I prefer Railroad & Co. to other computer programs. There is no programming
        language to learn, and I think it has all of the flexibility of other
        programs. They support Z scale, and include speed controls and "virtual"
        contacts via software (I.E. make a "virtual" contact 4 inches away from the
        real one - the software times how long it takes for the loco to reach the
        virtual contact, then starts slowing it down or stopping it) The software
        can even create automatic speed curves, so it does not depend on how strong
        your motor is, when you say run at 80 kph, it runs at a real Z scale 80 kph.
        Check it out at www.freiwald.com

        Best,
        -Rob

        www.z220.com

        A further question about the various types of DCC operation of Z. Do
        any/all/some of them provide a way (as does the Märklin HO system) for
        operation from a PC via a serial interface (or any other interface)?

        My dream is to be able to operate totally from a PC and even unattended with
        the aid of IRDOT or equivalent train sensors. Each train would have a route
        defined and its progress would be governed by availability of the track as
        it goes. Similarly, leading up to a signal or station would be a series of
        sensors which would be able to monitor speed for the purpose of prototypical
        braking. The down sides of course are the amount of sensors and wiring
        required for a reasonable layout, and the amount of programming involved.
        The former is a challenge for an electronics-illiterate klutz like me, but
        as an IT consultant/developer by profession, the latter is fun as well as
        straightforward.

        Cheers

        _____________________
        Graham Starkey
        Canberra, Australia
        squeak@...
        Phone: 0411147711
        Fax: 0411147011

      • A H-Ellary
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2001
          hi there looked at rr&co but did not like the way there is no database to
          sore the loco settings so if you close a loco window its settings are lost

          and the programming language has allowed me to automate my traverser too

        • kim@blueneptune.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2001
            Grahm,
            I am using Digitrax DCC. I selected Digitrax for the DZ121 decoder for
            Z scale and all the other advanced functions that you can think of in
            DCC and it is only available in Digitrax. I also selected Railroad &
            Co because it supports other external hardware while talking with
            loconet. You can use it as a link from digitrax loconet to I/O cards.
            I am using Oaktree hardware for switches, crossing gate flashers,
            lighting etc etc much cheaper than using DS54
            Check
            http://www.oaktreesystems.com/
            If I get full transponding setup done than I can set a higher
            priority to the Ludwig train than the goods train, so when a goods
            train comes to a signal crossing the goods will be stopped for the
            Ludwig train to pass, the possibilities for automation are endless and
            you dont need to learn to program.....
            I have not used the software extensively, since my layout is still in
            progress but I belive using RR&co all train settings can be saved, you
            can automate the layout, you can also tell the software to randomely
            automate the layout, you can also program to customize to any level
            you want including custom graphics.
            Check out
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railroadandco
            You can post any questions on RR&co in this group, the folks here are
            very friendly too.
            Feel free to post any more questions you have to this group, we like
            to encourage DCC in Z scale and we can also help you by sharing our
            experience in DCC esp. installing decoders.
            Kim