DCC Operation from PC

  • Graham Starkey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hi.

      A further question about the various types of DCC operation of Z. Do
      any/all/some of them provide a way (as does the Märklin HO system) for
      operation from a PC via a serial interface (or any other interface)?

      My dream is to be able to operate totally from a PC and even unattended with
      the aid of IRDOT or equivalent train sensors. Each train would have a route
      defined and its progress would be governed by availability of the track as
      it goes. Similarly, leading up to a signal or station would be a series of
      sensors which would be able to monitor speed for the purpose of prototypical
      braking. The down sides of course are the amount of sensors and wiring
      required for a reasonable layout, and the amount of programming involved.
      The former is a challenge for an electronics-illiterate klutz like me, but
      as an IT consultant/developer by profession, the latter is fun as well as
      straightforward.

      Cheers

      _____________________
      Graham Starkey
      Canberra, Australia
      squeak@...
      Phone: 0411147711
      Fax: 0411147011
    • John Jabour
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
        Graham
        Virtually all DCC systems work with PC's if you want.
        Digitrax uses a MS100 serial port interface and a Loconet
        LAN.
        Software packages which are available include
        Winlok, Railroad & Co and KAM.
        All have demo software available on the web.
        John

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
          hi graham

          nice to see another z dcc'er i use digitrax chief and winlok ... with
          digitrax you can use the digitrax bdl16 current sensing block detector and
          winlok will pick up the info and use it as you feel fit.. i have to
          timetables(programs) on my winlock that control a commuter train what it
          does is start the train from the terminus after a wait time it sets up the
          route to exit the station then it drives off (slowly at first) down the spur
          line to wards the junction as it approaches the junction it sets the points
          so it can join the mail line (providing the route is clear) then it
          accelerates up to speed once on the mail line ...the train then does a few
          laps around the mail line checking the signals as it goes and if a signal is
          an caution or red it takes the appropriate action. after a few laps the
          train goes around the reverse loop and does a few more laps the other way
          then parks up in the hidden sidings and waits there after a while it will
          the restart and head up to the station where it pulls in to a free platform
          and stops where it starts all over again the whole set of events take it
          around 10 mins to complete. it also when its in the hidden siding or the
          platform the loco number is displayed in a indicator box on the ctc board
          which is displayed on the computer

          if you need any further info please contact me

          A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

          now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
          > A further question about the various types of DCC operation of Z. Do
          > any/all/some of them provide a way (as does the Märklin HO system) for
          > operation from a PC via a serial interface (or any other interface)?
          >
          > My dream is to be able to operate totally from a PC and even unattended
          with
          > the aid of IRDOT or equivalent train sensors. Each train would have a rout
          > defined and its progress would be governed by availability of the track as
          > it goes. Similarly, leading up to a signal or station would be a series of
          > sensors which would be able to monitor speed for the purpose of
          prototypical
          > braking. The down sides of course are the amount of sensors and wiring
          > required for a reasonable layout, and the amount of programming involved.
          > The former is a challenge for an electronics-illiterate klutz like me, but
          > as an IT consultant/developer by profession, the latter is fun as well as
          > straightforward.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > _____________________
          > Graham Starkey
          > Canberra, Australia
          > squeak@...
          > Phone: 0411147711
          > Fax: 0411147011

        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2001
            Graham,

            I wanted the same type of operation that you described and, after extensive
            research, wound up going with the following combination of hardware and
            software:

            I use Digitrax for the interface to the computer (MS100) and booster
            (DCS100) as well as train detection (BDL16 - gives 16 sensors per card) and
            turnout control (DS54 - controls 4 turnouts) these are all wired together
            with Digitrax's loconet wiring, so it is easy to connect.

            I prefer Railroad & Co. to other computer programs. There is no programming
            language to learn, and I think it has all of the flexibility of other
            programs. They support Z scale, and include speed controls and "virtual"
            contacts via software (I.E. make a "virtual" contact 4 inches away from the
            real one - the software times how long it takes for the loco to reach the
            virtual contact, then starts slowing it down or stopping it) The software
            can even create automatic speed curves, so it does not depend on how strong
            your motor is, when you say run at 80 kph, it runs at a real Z scale 80 kph.
            Check it out at www.freiwald.com

            Best,
            -Rob

            www.z220.com

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2001
              hi there looked at rr&co but did not like the way there is no database to
              sore the loco settings so if you close a loco window its settings are lost

              and the programming language has allowed me to automate my traverser too

            • kim@blueneptune.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2001
                Grahm,
                I am using Digitrax DCC. I selected Digitrax for the DZ121 decoder for
                Z scale and all the other advanced functions that you can think of in
                DCC and it is only available in Digitrax. I also selected Railroad &
                Co because it supports other external hardware while talking with
                loconet. You can use it as a link from digitrax loconet to I/O cards.
                I am using Oaktree hardware for switches, crossing gate flashers,
                lighting etc etc much cheaper than using DS54
                Check
                http://www.oaktreesystems.com/
                If I get full transponding setup done than I can set a higher
                priority to the Ludwig train than the goods train, so when a goods
                train comes to a signal crossing the goods will be stopped for the
                Ludwig train to pass, the possibilities for automation are endless and
                you dont need to learn to program.....
                I have not used the software extensively, since my layout is still in
                progress but I belive using RR&co all train settings can be saved, you
                can automate the layout, you can also tell the software to randomely
                automate the layout, you can also program to customize to any level
                you want including custom graphics.
                Check out
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railroadandco
                You can post any questions on RR&co in this group, the folks here are
                very friendly too.
                Feel free to post any more questions you have to this group, we like
                to encourage DCC in Z scale and we can also help you by sharing our
                experience in DCC esp. installing decoders.
                Kim