steam age switchers

  • blockb@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
      Can someone tell me about what US locomotives were used in the steam
      age for switching and which if any are available in Z scale?

      What is a good source to understand how switch yards work so I can
      understand better what all those extra tracks are for.

      Thanks for your patience with a newcomer.

      Bruce Block
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2001
        Hi Bruce,

        The list of US locomotives used for switching is quite long and
        outside the scope of the Z_Scale list. A good source of
        information about locomotives during the steam era is the
        Kalmbach Locomotive Cyclopedia Vol. 1, steam...probably pretty
        hard to get your hands on...but drop by your local library and
        check out the railroading books or check out the railroad
        websites such as:

        http://www.trainweb.org

        Another way to identify steam switchers is to look over the
        pictures and descriptions of HO scale locomotives in the
        advertisements in Model Railroader Magazine. The pictures will
        show the various configurations that were popular during the
        golden age of NA railroading.

        What steam era locos are available in Z for switching? Note:
        switchers need couplers at both ends!

        For US style locos ($= $100 US retail)

        1. $$$$ brass 2-6-0 Moguls produced by Micro-Trains Lines
        (MTL) in Southern Pacific lettering.
        2. $$$$ brass box cab diesel electric produced by FR Models in
        Germany.
        3. $ kitbashing - using a Märklin 8800 chassis under an In
        Service Miniatures tank loco white metal shell.
        e.JPG

        The switcher in the photo is an ISM kit (rare if at all possible to
        find today, unfortunately).

        4. $$ kitbashing - using a Märklin 8800 chassis under an Aspen
        Models brass tank loco shell.
        http://www.aspenmodel.com/images/30062_g.jpg

        5. $ F7 diesel-electric produced by MTL and Märklin. These
        freight locos were used for road switching duties on some roads
        but this was not their principal use. They were rapidly replaced
        with the General Purpose (GP designation) locos. We are still
        waiting for this narrow hood loco in Z. My intuition tells me that
        we might see them in the next 2 - 3 years but with a $$$ or $$$$
        price tag!

        6. $ - $$ kitbashing - using a Märklin 2-6-0 or -4-6-0 chassis
        such as in the next photo.
        It is sometimes possible to approximate a US prototype switcher
        with a little filing and detailing.

        7,,,

        Learning about switch yards can be fun and enlightening when it
        comes to planning a model railroad. One of the best sources of
        yard operation from a model railroading perspective can be
        found in the Layout Design Special Interest Group design
        Primer.

        http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/BFSpages/LDSIGprimer
        /TOC.html

        Section D. discusses yard design and workings.

        The Primer is a terrific way to think about your future layout
        design and to learn about railroad operations.

        Enjoy your trainZ,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        --- In z_scale@y..., blockb@m... wrote:
        > Can someone tell me about what US locomotives were used
        in the steam
        > age for switching and which if any are available in Z scale?
        >
        > What is a good source to understand how switch yards work
        so I can
        > understand better what all those extra tracks are for.
        >
        > Thanks for your patience with a newcomer.
        >
        > Bruce Block
      • Roy Stevens
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2001
          Jeffery did a nice job outlining the available products, but failed to
          mention the AspenModel 0-6-0 conversion kit www.aspenmodel.com which looks
          stangely similar to the ISM white metal kit. Definately a common steam age
          switcher in the U.S.

          Roy
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2001
            Hey, Roy, I'm afraid I did mention the Aspen models shell. See
            message 4192 item #4. I even supplied a link to the image of the
            shell on the Aspen web site. So I guess I covered them all.

            I agree that the Aspen shell resembles the ISM casting. However, the
            new one has a few differences such as the headlamp and the dome
            positioning. Also, since the Aspen shell is brass, I would assume
            that it fits the 8800 chassis without the 2 hours of reaming and
            cursing that the ISM shell required in order to 'slip' into place.

            Bravo to Aspen for a nice Alco tank locomotive shell. Now if it
            really is available, that would be even better!

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey