New database: Z Clubs

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
      The latest issue of Ztrack inspired me to create another
      database. (I love this stuff!)

      Z_Scale is devoted to promoting the development of a Z
      community of sharing and comradeship. It seems only fitting
      that we keep track of Z clubs and modular groups. This
      database will evolve depending on the nature of the groups and
      clubs that are identified to us.

      At the moment, there are 5 clubs listed in the database. Please
      add your club directly to the list or feel free to send details to
      the list or to me directly. If you know of a club, let us know.

      Note: this list is not just for NA based groups and clubs. I will be
      happy to list European, Australasian, African, South American,
      Antarctican and Greenlandian clubs as well!

      tRows&tbl=4&tblName=Z%20Clubs

      Warning: begin editorial...

      Promoting the growth of Z clubs and modular groups is definitely
      good for the hobby and for Z. Groups pool expertise, stimulate
      creativity and attract attention to the scale. Think about inviting
      interested parties to join you in forming a club, either informal or
      formal. Try building a module based on one of the popular
      standards.

      ...end editorial.

      For more information on modular standards, contact Billy Roden,
      Ztrack Layout Coordinator via the list or (972) 690-1130 or any
      one else listed in the "Z Club" database.

      Enjoy your trainZ!
      JRM
    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
        Dear Jeff,

        I admire your constant push to kick scale Z onto a broader basis. Keep on!!

        Unfortunately, I have a very outdated PC. So, I cannot affort to read your data
        base list. Therefor I am not able to see, what has been already collected at
        your data base.
        So, here are my innocent comments.
        Refer to Z clubs: I hope, you have at least already included in your data base
        the 'Z CLUB 92'. In Europe, this club is, to my knowledge, the club with the
        broadest distribution and highest member ship number (about 800 members, I read
        the other day).

        Refer to articles on scale Z matters: To my knowledge, most of the scale Z
        related articles in Europe are published in the magazine 'Club Revue' of the Z
        Club 92.
        Other model railroading magazines are looking at scale Z as a very minor sector
        of the business. Well, they may be right. They have to earn money. The other
        day, I got the following answer: Well, scale Z has a market share of less than
        5 %. In this relationship, we are reporting on this scale. This may mean, that
        this magazine reports on scale Z matters in one issue during 20 years.

        And if a magazine reports on scale Z (like the 'model railroader' April 2001),
        than it is a 'briefcase' layout! So, scale Z again has the stamp: Funny!

        Refer to module standards: At the Goeppingen show (5th -6th May), there will
        take place a meeting to discuss a standard of scale z modules in Germany.
        Please be so kind to provide me with the e-mail adress of Billy Roden, so I may
        get some info on this standards.

        Refer to Sinsheim: In the latest issue of the German magazine MIBA, a review on
        the Sinsheim show was published. (By the way, a picture and some words on my
        little layout were published too). It was reported that more than 47,000
        visitors were attending the show. Impressed by this sucess, the exhibition area
        will be enlarged by 120,000 sqft next year. So, if you can make it, you will
        have an impressive number of onlookers!

        Regards

        Dieter

        jmac_han@... schrieb:
        > The latest issue of Ztrack inspired me to create another
        > database. (I love this stuff!)
        >
        > Z_Scale is devoted to promoting the development of a Z
        > community of sharing and comradeship. It seems only fitting
        > that we keep track of Z clubs and modular groups. This
        > database will evolve depending on the nature of the groups and
        > clubs that are identified to us.
        >
        > At the moment, there are 5 clubs listed in the database. Please
        > add your club directly to the list or feel free to send details to
        > the list or to me directly. If you know of a club, let us know.
        >
        > Note: this list is not just for NA based groups and clubs. I will be
        > happy to list European, Australasian, African, South American,
        > Antarctican and Greenlandian clubs as well!

        > tRows&tbl=4&tblName=Z%20Clubs
        >
        > Warning: begin editorial...
        >
        > Promoting the growth of Z clubs and modular groups is definitely
        > good for the hobby and for Z. Groups pool expertise, stimulate
        > creativity and attract attention to the scale. Think about inviting
        > interested parties to join you in forming a club, either informal or
        > formal. Try building a module based on one of the popular
        > standards.
        >
        > ...end editorial.
        >

        > For more information on modular standards, contact Billy Roden,
        > Ztrack Layout Coordinator via the list or (972) 690-1130 or any
        > one else listed in the "Z Club" database.
        >
        > Enjoy your trainZ!
        > JRM

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2001
          Hi Dieter,

          Here is the list of the clubs that have been added to the Z Club
          Database. The first line gives the column headings. The current
          entries follow with data separated by quotation marks and
          commas. Feel free to edit the ZClub92 entry and to make any
          additions that you know of. I would prefer to have members of
          various clubs update the database but I will add clubs that I
          come across to the list.

          "Name", "Location", "Type", "Contact info", "Additional
          Information", "News"

          "Central Ohio Z Enthusiasts", "USA, Ohio, Columbus", "Interest
          Group", "Jim Thomas (614) 451-4438", "3 Z scale layouts open
          for public viewing", "Formerly housed in Ohio State Fairgrounds,
          actual whereabouts = ?"

          "Dallas, Garland & Mesquite Railway Club", "USA, Texas,
          Dallas", "Modular - Z Mod System", "Billy Roden (972) 690-1130",
          "Modules are highly detailed city and rural scenes (50\" viewing
          height)", "Participating in upcoming NTS2001 in St. Louis, MO,
          July 13-15, 2001 (see calendar for details)"

          "Northwest Crossing Z-Bend Track", "USA, Texas, Houston",
          "Modular - Z-Bend", "Bill Kronenberger (713) 666-5265",
          "Frequent public mall displays, organized module building
          clinics (50\" viewing height)", "Participating in upcoming
          NTS2001 in St. Louis, MO, July 13-15, 2001 (see calendar for
          details)"

          "Cascade Z Modelers", "USA, Washington, Vancouver / Oregon,
          Portland", "Modular - Z Trak", "Terry Sutfin (360) 696-9162",
          "Members are from the Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA area.
          The PVDC Rwy is a part of this modular group. ", "The PVDC will
          be appearing at the NTS2001 show in St. Louis."

          "Val Ease Central Railroad", "Canada, Ontario, Toronto", "Virtual
          club based on portable Z scale show layout", "Jeffrey MacHan
          (416) 593-5280", "Open membership
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vecrr", "Participating in upcoming
          NTS2001 in St. Louis, MO, July 13-15, 2001 (see calendar for
          details)"

          "ZClub92", "Italy, Modena", "Interest group, mailing list", "Nicola
          Malavasi info@...", "800 subscribers (members)
          receive quarterly color magazine (in German) and annual club
          car (Märklin)", ""

          Cheers,
          JRM

        • jmac_han@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2001
            Hi Dieter and other ZClub92 members,

            The Club database that we are trying to build contains a list of
            clubs that have operating layouts or modules.

            Although I am happy to list ZClub92, I was curious to know:

            1. if it sponsors a modular standard?
            2. organizes a club train meet?
            3. operates a club layout?

            This information would be useful for our database and for our
            general understanding of ZClub92.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey