Cornering problems with M81419 Casey Jones

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      I have resolved to make my Casey Jones work!

      Previously, I reported that the CJ would work in one direction around curves
      and not in the other direction. This suggested to me that there was a
      problem with the wheel wipers on one side which would lose contact going
      around a curve.

      Under careful scrutiny with my optivisor, I noticed that one wiper on the
      rear driver would not maintain contact as I pushed the driver from side to
      side. Using gentle pressure with the tip of an hobby knife blade, I ever so
      carefully bent the wiper out from the body to increase its pressure on the
      back of the driver wheel.

      When I put the CJ back on the track it worked fine in both directions. One
      problem solved.

      A second problem that I noticed when testing the CJ around every mm of track
      on the VEC was that it would stall on curved switches. I tried everything I
      could think of to find the problem. I cleaned the track, I checked for dust
      or fibres between the point and the electrical contact, I checked for
      electrical problems in the switch. Everything checked out...I was beginning
      to think that the only solution was to add a set of wipers to the centre
      drivers on the CJ. I put this way down on my list of ToDo's.

      For some reason that escapes me, I tried running the CJ without the tender.
      It ran smoothly through the the trouble spots (always on tight curves) all
      around the layout. What was going on?

      I put the tender back on and sure enough the CJ stalled at all the same
      places, tight curves. I moved the tender slightly to the inside of the
      curve and the CJ took off.

      Looks like MTL made the tender contection slot on the back of the loco just
      a wee bit too short. When the CJ enters a tight corner the tender
      connection pin hits the end of the slot and prevents the loco from freely
      following the curve. This keeps the back drivers from making contact with
      the inside rail of the curve and the CJ stalls.

      The next step in this problem solving exercise will be to slightly lengthen
      the slot using a round tipped hobby file. I won't have to add more than a
      mm to each end of the slot, I don't think in order to provide enough travel
      for the tender connector pin.

      If you have noticed your CJ stalling on curved turnouts or on other tight
      curves, this is the probable cause and easy fix.

      Now that the CJ runs over the whole layout, I can see what kind of puller it
      is!!! I'll keep you informed.

      Cheers,
      JRM
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2001
        Dear Jeff,

        I agree, the CJ is a strong puller. But it is also a fast runner!!
        So, it outruns all other locos running on the same track with the same power
        input.
        As you may know, I have a two track shaddow station on my layout. So, if I have
        a MTL F7 loco, a Märklin F7 loco and the CJ loaded on the tracks to show these
        three locos and trains alternative on the front 'show track', the CJ runs quite
        fast around the track compared to the other locos. One visitor at the Sinsheim
        show mentioned: 'The CJ is a cockroach running wild. As usual all scale Z locos
        are running too fast!'
        Do you have an opinion on this?

        I am glad that you will be able to show your layout in Germany next year. So we
        are competitors in Sinsheim. I am looking forward to meet you there!

        Regards

        Dieter

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2001
          Hi Dieter,

          I just ran a race between my CJ, a MTL F7 and a Märklin 3 pole
          4-6-2. And the winner was...

          The Casey Jones by about 1/3 faster than the 3 pole 4-6-2 and
          by about 2 times faster than the F7.

          Now, just to set the record straight, I believe that I said that the
          CJ is a 'poor' puller. It's limit on a 3% grade is the 4 passenger
          cars that come with the set. On a 4% grade, it will pull 3
          cars...that's it!

          But I love it anyway, 'cuz it's exactly what I wanted to complete the
          series of trains that will run on the VEC at NTS2001.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey