New Clerestory Passenger Car Roofs for Marklin Casey Jones Passenger Cars

  • John Bartolotto
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      All,

      I just finished redoing the roofs on my Marklin Casey Jones
      passenger cars with new Clerestory roofs. I purchased the new roofs
      from Republic Locomotive Works. They were Nn3 scale Clerestory
      roofs and I sanded/cut them down to Z (just a width and height issue
      really). All passenger cars circa 1880-1899 had Clerestory roofs.
      The Marklin factory roofs on the Casey Jones passenger cars don't
      match the time frame of 1880-1899s. In fact they don't go with the
      Casey Jones locomotive (Casey Jones' wreck was April 29, 1900). The
      Marklin factory Clerestory roofs are circa 1850 to late 1870 (long
      thin overhang over the step platforms). By 1880 all railroads had
      gone to an improved Clerestory roof (this is the new Clerestory
      roofs that I have placed on all my passenger cars). I am little
      disappointed in Marklin for not researching the passenger cars that
      actually went with the Casey Jones - they are sticklers for
      perfection, I have walked through their factory - and they would
      have never made this "era" mistake with a German loco/passenger car
      set.

      Next step is to decal the cars with New York Central & Hudson River
      Railroad decals and swap out the Marklin couplers for MTLs.

      Photos of the differences in the roofs are posted on Z_Scale_2 under
      the photo section under John Bartolotto's NYC&HR Passenger Cars.

      Enjoy,

      John Bartolotto
    • Thomas Welsch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
        Hi John,

        The new roofs look good. It makes the cars look better.
        How is the 4-4-0 coming along?

        Thom Welsch
      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
          Tom,

          Thanks. I modified the Casey Jones loco shell and it is currently with Ron
          Ruddell of London Bridge Toys to see if he can spin cast it in metal. I'll
          let you know how it turns out. Should be another month or so.

          John

          The new roofs look good. It makes the cars look better.
          How is the 4-4-0 coming along?

          Thom Welsch

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS