March '06 Model Railroader - something's missing

  • Adam Amick
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      Did I miss something, or are there no new products coming out in Z
      scale? I could swear we have gotten new cars and GP35 paint schemes
      every month (since September on the Geeps) from Micro-Trains. I also
      believe we have been getting new things from other manufacturers
      (AZL, Shawnee, Full-Throttle, PennZee, Marklin...), but there's
      nothing in the March MR New Products section.

      So... What seems to be the problem, officer?

      Is this an issue with Model Railroader not printing new Z products,
      or a lack of effort on the part of Z scale manufacturers to get
      their products into the most-read model train magazine? Could it be
      a cost issue with MR? If so, and monthly listings would be too
      expensive, then how about the larger Z manufacturers work out a
      schedule and each do quarterly listings, offsetting their months so
      there's something every month?

      I guess the Micro-Trains absence is most puzzling to me, since they
      advertise new N scale products on a monthly basis. Why not Z as
      well? I would expect with the GP35s out in UP and ATSF livery that
      those should be something to attract attention on the pages of MR.
      The new rolling stock is also attention-worthy, with the Chessie
      (C&O) box car and SOO line gondola being eye-catchers.

      And with AZL rolling out SD70s and Bethgons... uh... soon? I believe
      those need to be front and center. Affordable six-axle power is BIG
      NEWS for Z scale and in addition to the Geeps should be that
      proverbial "straw" for people on the fence to go Z. Any and every
      effort (even at an initial loss) should be made to market these
      products.

      I really look forward to this release, not just because I'm an
      Norfolk Southern guy, but because I think the folks at Discount
      Model Trains will be more willing to have some AZL on the shelf for
      the curious to see. But the New Products section of Model Railroader
      is the stage that they need to be seen on.

      Adam
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
        > And with AZL rolling out SD70s and Bethgons... uh...
        > soon? I believe
        > those need to be front and center. Affordable
        > six-axle power is BIG
        > NEWS for Z scale and in addition to the Geeps should
        > be that
        > proverbial "straw" for people on the fence to go Z.
        > Any and every
        > effort (even at an initial loss) should be made to
        > market these
        > products.

        About the nearly complete lack of covering on Z scale
        stuff in MR, I remember a few years ago, when AZL
        began to release various models of locos (on that
        stage, if I remember, there must have already been the
        Dashs, the PAs and the E8s). Someone in this present
        group asked MR why these weren't spoken about. MR's
        reply was something like "no topics about small
        releases of expensive brass stuff"....

        And on one of the last MR issue, I saw an
        advertisement for a (superb) $2400 (yes, two thousand
        four hundred) O scale Overland SD70! Go figure!.....

        On the other way, I remember in 1999 a complete page
        in MR about Pennzee's 3-bay hoppers....It must have
        been the last time someone in MR was aware of the
        existence of Z scale!....

        Dominique

      • randy smidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
          Come on guys, I'm not the biggest MR fan in the world myself, but they HAVE been showing more Z scale in the last year or so. I've seen new product announcements at least 6 times, including Micro-Track, the GG-1, GP35 and the AZL Cab Forward (expensive brass) and F59PHI among other items. They may only show new product (not repaints) and their lead time for publishing takes longer than what we see on the internet. We may see something in the coming months. I'm sure the SD70M's and CoalPorters will be in there, but they won't be released until March (which would be the April issue of MR?).

          Randy Smidt

          de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

          > And with AZL rolling out SD70s and Bethgons... uh...
          > soon? I believe
          > those need to be front and center. Affordable
          > six-axle power is BIG
          > NEWS for Z scale and in addition to the Geeps should
          > be that
          > proverbial "straw" for people on the fence to go Z.
          > Any and every
          > effort (even at an initial loss) should be made to
          > market these
          > products.

          About the nearly complete lack of covering on Z scale
          stuff in MR, I remember a few years ago, when AZL
          began to release various models of locos (on that
          stage, if I remember, there must have already been the
          Dashs, the PAs and the E8s). Someone in this present
          group asked MR why these weren't spoken about. MR's
          reply was something like "no topics about small
          releases of expensive brass stuff"....

          And on one of the last MR issue, I saw an
          advertisement for a (superb) $2400 (yes, two thousand
          four hundred) O scale Overland SD70! Go figure!.....

          On the other way, I remember in 1999 a complete page
          in MR about Pennzee's 3-bay hoppers....It must have
          been the last time someone in MR was aware of the
          existence of Z scale!....

          Dominique

        • Vincent Goudreault
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
            Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:12:55 -0000
            From: "de Champeaux" <ddechamp71@...>
            Subject: Fwd: RE: March '06 Model Railroader - something's missing

            (...)

            BTW, although I was a little bit "sarcastic" in my
            magazine. I like it otherwise I should not subscribe
            to it, but I only mean one should not rely on it in
            order to be aware of breaking news about Z scale. To
            myself, it's interrest is rather for tips about all
            that matches modelrailroading in general: example,
            trackwork, weathering, track plans, wiring, DCC,
            etc...But I don't hold my breath on any topic about Z
            scale new stuff, because this magazine only matches
            what its customer base expects. And their customer
            base is mainly HO and N. I think even S scalers should
            argue against the lack of their newbies in this
            magazine's columns.

            But I also believe there are some guys in MR who still
            consider Z as a novelty. Let's stay tuned.

            For the breaking news, I prefer Ztrack or our group
            <wink>!

            As a conclusion, I don't read many issues of the few
            french modelrailroading magazines as they are 99,9%
            turned towards european railroads (above all french) that have not a
            great
            appeal to me, but I can affirm Z scale is mostly
            absent of them. Though Germany and its 15 %
            modelrailroaders who are Z scalers is not far.

            Dominique

            Well, how about you write MR and let them know how you feel?
            You are a subscriber, I buy it every month (I should subscribe,
            that would be cheaper and would release money to buy more of those
            Full Throttle hoppers..) and I am sure a lot of people on this list
            are getting MR each and every month. We are paying customers.
            If you write them and let them know how you feel, and several of us
            do the same, they can either dismiss us outright (which would be a
            bad move) or acknowledge that Z scalers are a fast growing segment
            of the hobby, and react accordingly in the future.

            If the only place where you let your impression be known is this
            here forum; well, you are preaching to the choir. If we use this
            forum to organise some sort of mailing campaing (or you could
            say you are writing on behalf of a significant portion of the 1890
            members of this forum) they will take note. Again, a most important
            aspect is that members of this forum do NOT need MR to find
            out about new stuff, because of the forum and Z-Track . But the
            rapid growth of our ranks is something that indicates a power of
            attraction second only to a Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, or a black hole
            (pick only one) and that MR could miss on a golden opportunity
            to cater to FUTURE model railroaders if they overlook Z.

            CBVG
          • Robin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
              You hit the main point, you can't rely on the magazine for correct
              information. They loose credibility by providing mis-information,
              in this case that there are no new products for Z. This hurts the
              credibility of the entire magazine and a polite letter would be the
              appropriate action. A good magazine would prefer to know.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Goudreault
              <vgoudreault@v...> wrote:

              > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:12:55 -0000
              > From: "de Champeaux" <ddechamp71@y...>
              > Subject: Fwd: RE: March '06 Model Railroader - something's missing
              >
              > (...)
              >
              > BTW, although I was a little bit "sarcastic" in my
              > magazine. I like it otherwise I should not subscribe
              > to it, but I only mean one should not rely on it in
              > order to be aware of breaking news about Z scale. To
              > myself, it's interrest is rather for tips about all
              > that matches modelrailroading in general: example,
              > trackwork, weathering, track plans, wiring, DCC,
              > etc...But I don't hold my breath on any topic about Z
              > scale new stuff, because this magazine only matches
              > what its customer base expects. And their customer
              > base is mainly HO and N. I think even S scalers should
              > argue against the lack of their newbies in this
              > magazine's columns.
              >
              > But I also believe there are some guys in MR who still
              > consider Z as a novelty. Let's stay tuned.
              >
              > For the breaking news, I prefer Ztrack or our group
              > <wink>!
              >
              > As a conclusion, I don't read many issues of the few
              > french modelrailroading magazines as they are 99,9%
              > turned towards european railroads (above all french) that have not
              > great
              > appeal to me, but I can affirm Z scale is mostly
              > absent of them. Though Germany and its 15 %
              > modelrailroaders who are Z scalers is not far.
              >
              > Dominique
              >

              > Well, how about you write MR and let them know how you feel?
              > You are a subscriber, I buy it every month (I should subscribe,
              > that would be cheaper and would release money to buy more of those
              > Full Throttle hoppers..) and I am sure a lot of people on this list
              > are getting MR each and every month. We are paying customers.
              > If you write them and let them know how you feel, and several of us
              > do the same, they can either dismiss us outright (which would be a
              > bad move) or acknowledge that Z scalers are a fast growing segment
              > of the hobby, and react accordingly in the future.
              >
              > If the only place where you let your impression be known is this
              > here forum; well, you are preaching to the choir. If we use this
              > forum to organise some sort of mailing campaing (or you could
              > say you are writing on behalf of a significant portion of the 1890
              > members of this forum) they will take note. Again, a most
              important
              > aspect is that members of this forum do NOT need MR to find
              > out about new stuff, because of the forum and Z-Track . But the
              > rapid growth of our ranks is something that indicates a power of
              > attraction second only to a Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, or a black
              hole
              > (pick only one) and that MR could miss on a golden opportunity
              > to cater to FUTURE model railroaders if they overlook Z.
              >

              > CBVG

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
                > Well, how about you write MR and let them know how
                > you feel?
                > You are a subscriber, I buy it every month (I should
                > subscribe,
                > that would be cheaper and would release money to buy
                > more of those
                > Full Throttle hoppers..) and I am sure a lot of
                > people on this list
                > are getting MR each and every month. We are paying
                > customers.
                > If you write them and let them know how you feel,
                > and several of us
                > do the same, they can either dismiss us outright
                > (which would be a
                > bad move) or acknowledge that Z scalers are a fast
                > growing segment
                > of the hobby, and react accordingly in the future.
                >
                > If the only place where you let your impression be
                > known is this
                > here forum; well, you are preaching to the choir.
                > If we use this
                > forum to organise some sort of mailing campaing (or
                > you could
                > say you are writing on behalf of a significant
                > portion of the 1890
                > members of this forum) they will take note. Again,
                > a most important
                > aspect is that members of this forum do NOT need MR
                > to find
                > out about new stuff, because of the forum and
                > Z-Track . But the
                > rapid growth of our ranks is something that
                > indicates a power of
                > attraction second only to a Brad Pitt, Angelina
                > Jolie, or a black hole
                > (pick only one) and that MR could miss on a golden
                > opportunity
                > to cater to FUTURE model railroaders if they
                > overlook Z.
                >

                > CBVG

                Interresting idea. BTW I had already done this one or
                two years ago, but only on an individual basis, ie
                without mentionning Yahoo Groups Z scale. I must
                recognise my email hasn't been followed with a great
                effect.

                But to have more "weight" in my statements, I should
                know how many MR readers are there here in our group.
                I already believe euro prototype modellers out of the
                US don't read this magazine.

                Initially I'm trying to launch a poll here about this.

                Dominique

              • Joe Krepps
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
                  My apologies if someone (Randy? Rob?) has already mentioned this but
                  Paul Dolkos from Model Railroader will be at Rob Allbritton's to shoot a
                  story, this coming Saturday. Not sure when it will be published.

                  If you're not familiar with Rob's new, _massive_, show stopping Z-scale
                  layout, Google it or pick up a Z-Track magazine (forget which issue).

                  I can't wait!! :)

                  Joe <-subscribes to MR
                • randy smidt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Actually, it was last weekend, but he may be back for more. ;-)

                    I'm sure it will make it to print some day, but who knows when.

                    For those interested, the DCC is working now. It actually ended up being a computer hardware failure that caused the problems at NTS rather problems with the DCC system.

                    Randy

                    Joe Krepps <occupant@...> wrote:
                    My apologies if someone (Randy? Rob?) has already mentioned this but
                    Paul Dolkos from Model Railroader will be at Rob Allbritton's to shoot a
                    story, this coming Saturday. Not sure when it will be published.

                    If you're not familiar with Rob's new, _massive_, show stopping Z-scale
                    layout, Google it or pick up a Z-Track magazine (forget which issue).

                    I can't wait!! :)

                    Joe <-subscribes to MR

                    G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale