Alternative to Marklin catenary?

  • Daniel Roe
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2006
      Group,

      Is there a commercially available alternative to Marklin catenary? The
      new Marklin Ho catenary looks much better than their old style. I'm
      just wondering if there's a better looking Z alternative. Thanks,

      Dan
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2006
        Hello Daniel,

        > Is there a commercially available alternative to Marklin catenary? The
        > new Marklin Ho catenary looks much better than their old style. I'm
        > just wondering if there's a better looking Z alternative. Thanks,

        If you are modeling Swiss, then this might be an alternative:

        http://www.fr-model.de/index.php?lang=en&what=products&cat=narrow

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2006
          Uwe

          Is this running on Z track--or is it narrow gauge Z running on even
          narrower track?

          Ellen
          Indianapolis

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:

          > Hello Daniel,
          >
          > > Is there a commercially available alternative to Marklin
          catenary? The
          > > new Marklin Ho catenary looks much better than their old style.
          I'm
          > > just wondering if there's a better looking Z alternative. Thanks,
          >
          > If you are modeling Swiss, then this might be an alternative:
          >
          > http://www.fr-model.de/index.php?lang=en&what=products&cat=narrow
          >

          > --
          > GreetingZ
          > Uwe

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2006
            Hello Ellen,

            > Is this running on Z track--or is it narrow gauge Z running on even
            > narrower track?

            As I just saw it's Zm running on 4.5 mm track.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
              --- Daniel Roe <roedj@...> a écrit :

              > Group,
              >
              > Is there a commercially available alternative to
              > Marklin catenary? The
              > new Marklin Ho catenary looks much better than their
              > old style. I'm
              > just wondering if there's a better looking Z
              > alternative. Thanks,
              >
              > Dan

              FR Model's.
              http://www.fr-model.de

              Dominique

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                --- Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> a écrit :

                > Hello Ellen,
                >
                > > Is this running on Z track--or is it narrow gauge
                > Z running on even
                > > narrower track?
                >
                > As I just saw it's Zm running on 4.5 mm track.

                Freundenreich's FR-Models offers the rolling stock and
                motive power. But all that deals with track and
                turnouts must be dealt with Aspenmodels. (
                http://www.aspenmodels.com )

                Dominique

              • Joe Krepps
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                  As I recall in Z220 Journal ("220dasjournal"), some people used
                  Sommerfeldt N-scale catenary. It was a little tall but the finer wire
                  (they used the smallest diameter wire) looked GREAT! Unfortunately,
                  neither Sommerfeldt nor Weissman(who now make Maerklin's HO catenary)
                  make Z-scale catenary. It would be well worth your time to look through
                  old issues (PDFs) of the Z220 Journal. It's all in German but the photos
                  are _excellent_ and the craftsmanship is incredible!

                  Hope this helps,
                  Joe Krepps
                  Secretary: Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org
                • jim_manley_alpha_six
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                    GreetingZ Dan, Dominique, and All Other GrouperZ and GrouperetteZ,

                    Harald can confirm this, but as I recall when seeing his wonderful Zm
                    models and layout at his factory and at NTS 2004 in Seattle, the
                    catenary is non-functional, i.e., it does not provide power through a
                    locomotive's pantograph pickups. Therefore, it is not a suitable
                    replacement for Marklin's catenary products to route power to
                    locomotives, unless you only want to use it for visual purposes. Of
                    course, this would only matter if you could actually buy the Zm
                    products, which will not be possible unless a group of "freaks" (as
                    Harald so "affectionately" refers to people who intensely admire, but
                    do/can not buy :) decides to organize a group order to advance Harald
                    the funding for production.

                    I don't seem to be able to access http://www.fr-model.com at this
                    time, and hopefully this is just a temporary situation, as Harald's
                    offerings are nothing short of outstanding in terms of modeling detail
                    and engineering quality.

                    All Z BeZt,
                    Jim

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
                    <ddechamp71@y...> wrote:

                    > --- Daniel Roe <roedj@h...> a écrit :
                    >
                    > > Group,
                    > >
                    > > Is there a commercially available alternative to
                    > > Marklin catenary? The
                    > > new Marklin Ho catenary looks much better than their
                    > > old style. I'm
                    > > just wondering if there's a better looking Z
                    > > alternative. Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Dan
                    >

                    > FR Model's.
                    > http://www.fr-model.de
                    >
                    > Dominique

                    > Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les
                    tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.
                    > Téléchargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

                  • Uwe Liermann
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                      Hello Jim,

                      > I don't seem to be able to access

                      http://www.fr-model.com

                      > at this time,

                      try:

                      http://www.fr-model.de

                      ;-)

                      --
                      GreetingZ
                      Uwe
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2006
                        GreetingZ Uwe,

                        I mistyped the URL in my post, was actually trying to access the
                        http://www.fr-model.de URL, and wasn't getting any response last
                        night, but it's working now. I guess it was too late at night for the
                        electrons/photons to make it all the way to Europe and back here to
                        the Best Coast! Either that, or they're union/government
                        electrons/photons :)

                        ThankZ anyway, and All Z BeZt,
                        Jim