Starter sets

  • kenqv
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
      Hi. New to z scale and just purchased two starter sets. The 81466
      and 81785. Purchased a few freight cars to go with 81466 but what cars
      go with King Ludwig because I like longer trains? Also, can these
      passenger cars be lit-up or do they sell any matching cars that are
      already lit? Thanks.
    • Dave Hjortnaes
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
        Dear kenqv:

        Your best bet is to go to german e-bay, <www.ebay.de> , and type in
        Ludwig. On occasion cars will come up from the different Ludwig sets
        that you could add to your set. If you ask the seller to send the
        items as a letter (Maxi-brief), the postage is a lot less than a Paket.

        It is usually safe to send Euros to the seller in a registerd letter,
        or to find someone in Germany who will repackage the item and send it
        to you as a letter.

        Good Luck

        dave h
      • steve713_us
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006
          Anyone know an easy/cheap way to get everything required to get
          started. I have a bunch of track already, and a layout planned, but
          need loco's, rolling stock, and power packs. I'm figuring a starter
          set is my best bet with everything included, but don't want to spend a
          fortune one one. Any ideas on best way to obtain these pieces?

          Thanks!
        • Allan Miller
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006
            My recommendation might be to go with an MTL (Micro-Trains) starter
            set, although you'll have to get a power pack from another source
            (should not be overly expensive). The MTL starter sets are very nice,
            and are affordable.

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "steve713_us" <smahony22@...> wrote:

            > Anyone know an easy/cheap way to get everything required to get
            > started. I have a bunch of track already, and a layout planned, but
            > need loco's, rolling stock, and power packs. I'm figuring a starter
            > set is my best bet with everything included, but don't want to spend a
            > fortune one one. Any ideas on best way to obtain these pieces?
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Jim O'Connell
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "steve713_us" <smahony22@...> wrote:

              > Anyone know an easy/cheap way to get everything required to get
              > started. I have a bunch of track already, and a layout planned, but
              > need loco's, rolling stock, and power packs. I'm figuring a starter
              > set is my best bet with everything included, but don't want to spend
              > fortune one one. Any ideas on best way to obtain these pieces?
              >
              > Thanks!

              Steve, First, you have to decide on modeling Euro or North American.
              If you choose Euro, Marklin makes a cute little starter set with the
              whole works, powerpack, track etc. If you choose NA things aren't
              quite out of the 'box'. Micro Trains Lines, (MTL), has a NA starter
              kit with just loco and cars. You will also have to purchase a
              powerpack and some of the NEW MTL Micro Track. Turnouts available next
              month also. The reliability of MTL products is worth the hassle of
              buy the parts separately. Why MTL doesn't provide the whole works is
              another story. Anyway if you live in NA, to me, it only makes sense
              to model North American. Good Luck, Jim A New CCRR
            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006
                Ar Gwe, 2006-09-29 am 15:23 +0000, ysgrifennodd Jim O'Connell:
                > quite out of the 'box'. Micro Trains Lines, (MTL), has a NA starter
                > kit with just loco and cars. You will also have to purchase a
                > powerpack and some of the NEW MTL Micro Track. Turnouts available next

                Not true. The MTL models run perfectly well on non microtrains track and
                vice versa.

                Alan

              • Jim O'Connell
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006

                  > Not true. The MTL models run perfectly well on non microtrains track
                  and
                  > vice versa.
                  >
                  > Alan

                  Alan, What is NOT true? I don't believe I told a lie. I didn't say
                  MTL engines or rolling stock wouldn't work on other track. Look here
                  at the bigger picture. Someone asks for help. It is given. If you
                  don't like it, say your piece and let the questioner decide. I'm
                  afraid of steering a new person toward what I consider not totally
                  reliable Marklin turnouts and slips switches. Keep your private
                  adjendas off line. Calling someone a liar is an example. Cheers, Jim
                • Tom Fisher
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006
                    "You will also have to purchase ... some of the NEW
                    MTL Micro Track."

                    Is that true?

                    Couldn't the inquirer buy Marklin or Pico track
                    instead? Couldn't the inquirer also buy MTL flex
                    track instead? Does he have to buy "NEW MTL Micro
                    Track"?

                    Perhaps a better response to your post might have been
                    to state that the poster had a different opinion and
                    he didn't think that the inquirer ***had*** to buy new
                    MTL track since there are alternatives.

                    Do you really think Alan Cox has a private ajenda in
                    advising the inquirer that your response was not
                    accurate?

                    --- Jim O'Connell <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Not true. The MTL models run perfectly well on non
                    > microtrains track
                    > and
                    > > vice versa.
                    > >
                    > > Alan
                    >
                    > Alan, What is NOT true? I don't believe I told a
                    > lie. I didn't say
                    > MTL engines or rolling stock wouldn't work on other
                    > track. Look here
                    > at the bigger picture. Someone asks for help. It is
                    > given. If you
                    > don't like it, say your piece and let the questioner
                    > decide. I'm
                    > afraid of steering a new person toward what I
                    > consider not totally
                    > reliable Marklin turnouts and slips switches. Keep
                    > your private
                    > adjendas off line. Calling someone a liar is an
                    > example. Cheers, Jim

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 29, 2006
                      Ar Gwe, 2006-09-29 am 18:10 +0000, ysgrifennodd Jim O'Connell:
                      > Alan, What is NOT true? I don't believe I told a lie. I didn't say

                      You gave that impression and he had said he already have the track.

                      > adjendas off line. Calling someone a liar is an example. Cheers, Jim

                      >From your reaction I can only assume that some kind of cross atlantic
                      communications difference is involved... "not true.." this side of the
                      pond is not calling someone a liar its merely a prelude to a
                      clarification or explanation.

                    • Dave Kish
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                        Hello everyone!
                        I'm looking for older starter sets, and track lots.
                        Thanks in advance
                        Dave
                      • Jim O'Connell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                          Dave, You may find some response here, however I think you might find
                          all you seek on that popular auction sight. Good luck, Jim CCRR

                          -- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kish" <carpenterman2106@...>