Re: Buki's

  • Allan Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      Sales of Z (or lack thereof) would not be enough to bring ANY hobby
      shop down, or, for that matter, to keep one going or make it
      successful. Z is still a very small segment of the overall hobby, so
      when a store folds you can be 100% certain that sales of Z alone was
      not a major factor in the equation. ALL scales in model railroading
      are experiencing something of a slump these days, and in some
      scales--O gauge for example--the market is a real mess.

      Truth is, Z is probably one of the few growth areas in the hobby,
      along, perhaps, with Large Scale.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:
      > Rob:
      >
      > Several times you have mentioned the demise of Buki's, including in
      > Ztrack. I was in both his old and new store plus you took me to his
      > home. I don't believe I really saw much Z at any of those
      locations, but lots and lots of other scales. This would imply that
      Buki went down the tubes for reasons other than Z.
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        Don,

        I actually wrote about Buki's closing in the March/April 2005 Trackside
        Perspective. Here I talked about the demise. Bill Anthony, the owner of Buki's is a
        wonderful man. He did offer a large selection of Z, though it thinned closer
        to the time of the closing. Actually, at the time, Buki's was the largest AZL
        dealer in the country. The fact is Buki's did not shut his doors because he
        could not sell Z. He also did not shut his doors because of a lack of model
        train sells. He closed his doors because he tried to be a high end toy shop that
        carried model trains. This business plan was flawed and soon he found himself
        in the red and unable to recover.

        I miss Bukis. I also feel for those such as Tim who just lost their local
        hobby shop. More and more shops are going to close. It is happening in the US and
        Europe alike. All I have to say is support your local dealer especially if
        they are good people and support Z scale. If you don't have a good dealer close
        by, then try the dealers who advertise in Ztrack. Any one of these dealers are
        good people who support our scale.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.