Re: Buki's - and others

  • Allan Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      I have to do all of my train buying via mail order, since there's no
      hobby shop in my area--an increasingly common phenomenon as more and
      more established shops close their doors.

      I buy almost all my Z scale from Bill Ott (Modellbahn Ott), in
      Pennsylvana; Micro-Macro-Mundo, in Miami; and Trans-Global Hobbies, in
      Alabama. Have also bought from Z.Scale Hobo (Frank) on occasion.
      Great prices and service from all of the above.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

      > My Favorite Hobby Shop, the one I boasted about earlier in 2005
      > folded on December 23, a few days ago. Sales from all scales were
      > down this year for them. That was their reasoning for closing.
    • Allan Miller
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        Sales of Z (or lack thereof) would not be enough to bring ANY hobby
        shop down, or, for that matter, to keep one going or make it
        successful. Z is still a very small segment of the overall hobby, so
        when a store folds you can be 100% certain that sales of Z alone was
        not a major factor in the equation. ALL scales in model railroading
        are experiencing something of a slump these days, and in some
        scales--O gauge for example--the market is a real mess.

        Truth is, Z is probably one of the few growth areas in the hobby,
        along, perhaps, with Large Scale.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:
        > Rob:
        >
        > Several times you have mentioned the demise of Buki's, including in
        > Ztrack. I was in both his old and new store plus you took me to his
        > home. I don't believe I really saw much Z at any of those
        locations, but lots and lots of other scales. This would imply that
        Buki went down the tubes for reasons other than Z.
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          Don,

          I actually wrote about Buki's closing in the March/April 2005 Trackside
          Perspective. Here I talked about the demise. Bill Anthony, the owner of Buki's is a
          wonderful man. He did offer a large selection of Z, though it thinned closer
          to the time of the closing. Actually, at the time, Buki's was the largest AZL
          dealer in the country. The fact is Buki's did not shut his doors because he
          could not sell Z. He also did not shut his doors because of a lack of model
          train sells. He closed his doors because he tried to be a high end toy shop that
          carried model trains. This business plan was flawed and soon he found himself
          in the red and unable to recover.

          I miss Bukis. I also feel for those such as Tim who just lost their local
          hobby shop. More and more shops are going to close. It is happening in the US and
          Europe alike. All I have to say is support your local dealer especially if
          they are good people and support Z scale. If you don't have a good dealer close
          by, then try the dealers who advertise in Ztrack. Any one of these dealers are
          good people who support our scale.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.