RE: [Z_Scale] I'm new too

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      --- baldockru <baldockru@...> a écrit :

      > Hello people,I live in UK, I'm just getting started
      > with z gauge and
      > was wondering where the best place is to source
      > track. I have started
      > with a Marklin starter set which is a basic loop.
      > Is Micro-Trains compatable with Marklin track?
      > Which do you guys think is better:
      > The American set up
      > or the European set up

      Hi, Micro-Trains stuff is compatible with Marklin
      track, and also the opposite (and Micro-Trains track
      is compatible with Marklin track).

      About turnouts, the only high scaled current choice is
      Marklin, but Micro-Trains is about to release a
      sample, and your fellow countryman Peter wright
      (http://www.wrightturnouts.com) releases very
      interresting samples.

      About the best, it depends on what your center of
      interrest is:
      -if you prefer european prototype, the choice of
      Marklin is obvious (even if, to my eyes, Marklin is
      too much focused on German / Swiss / Austrian, with
      very few belgian, quite no french, and no italian, no
      british, no dutch, etc..;)
      -if you prefer american prototype I recommand
      Micro-Trains, as it is to my eyes more prototypical,
      cheaper and with very much more choice of stuff.

      Hope this helps, and happy new year,

      Dominique, froggy and "stinkin' cheese eater" from
      France!...

    • Peter Ibbotson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
        On 12/30/05, baldockru <baldockru@...> wrote:

        > Hello people,I live in UK, I'm just getting started with z gauge and
        > was wondering where the best place is to source track. I have started
        > with a Marklin starter set which is a basic loop.
        > Is Micro-Trains compatable with Marklin track?
        > Which do you guys think is better:
        > The American set up
        > or the European set up

        When it comes to buying track getting it direct from one of the German
        retailers is generally cheaper than buying it in the UK.
        When I need smaller amounts I tend to buy mine from the Hobby Shop in
        Faversham, depending on where you are there are some retailers in the UK I
        have a copy of a marklin dealer list (from last year) here:
        http://www.z220.org/links/shopsuk.shtml but I really must update that page
        with some comments (for example ModelZone don't have a good selection and
        Hamleys look like they've stopped restocking Z so their range is slowly
        shrinking)

        Peter