Re: [Z_Scale] Re: MRC 2800 Tech II 10 VDC Version Photos

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      John:

      > I've just put a couple of shots of the 10.6 VDC version of the MRC 2800
      > in the Photos section in a folder titled, cleverly enough: 2800_MRC:

      Great photos. And now I learned something new.

      There are three formats, not two, of the 2800. (10.1) (10.6) and (14.5) vdc
      output. And they are all labeled "2800." There out to be a law against that.

      Both 10.x volt outputs are in the "safe" output range, I'd say.

      Something else I thought about on the 14.5 volt version. The non-sinusodial
      output of the 14.5vdc version would burn out onboard solid state
      embellishments instantly, like the Richmond Control lighting modules, even if you were to
      hold the RMS value of the output down to 10vdc.

      So I'll change my answer to an absolute NO for the 14.5vdc version. Its not
      polite to burn out something in a "guest" loco on your layout. Or one of your
      own locos that has 3rd party solid state stuff onboard. That could include
      DCC-equipped locos being run on DC.

      Happy New Year,
      Bill K.
      Houston

    • miked_r
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Thank you Michael, John & Bill!

        They should give them different model numbers, if not different
        version numbers at least!! Bill good point on RMS values-often not
        factored in or understood in electrical discussions.

        HAPPY NEW YEAR & HAPPY 1st ANNIVESARY TRI-STATE Z-SCALERS!!

        Michael (R. not H.) :-)

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
        <snip>
        > So I'll change my answer to an absolute NO for the 14.5vdc
        version. Its not
        > polite to burn out something in a "guest" loco on your layout. Or
        one of your
        > own locos that has 3rd party solid state stuff onboard. That could
        include
        > DCC-equipped locos being run on DC.
        <snip>
      • Joe Krepps
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          All,

          So how does one order the right 2800?

          Joe
        • Brad Saunders
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            I've been told that the only 2800 that is produced today is the higher
            voltage unit ... the 10.xV units are the original version of the power pack.
            Sometimes you find the older 2800s listed on eBay (and maybe other auction
            sites) ... this might be your only chance to find one unless some hobby
            shops still have stock of the older unit.

            Brad

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
              Brad:

              > I've been told that the only 2800 that is produced today is the higher
              > voltage unit ... the 10.xV units are the original version of the power pack.
              > Sometimes you find the older 2800s listed on eBay

              Could be, can't say. But if that's the case, there is absolutely nothing
              that wears out on the 2800's, so auctions would be a reasonably safe route to
              follow. Prices range around the middle 20 dollar range. There's one on eBay
              tonight in the original box for 9 dollars (at the minute).

              Don't just search Z scale, search ALL scales since they might be listed under
              HO through Z.

              Hope this helps,
              Bill K.
              Houston

            • zbendtrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                Another thought:

                > >I've been told that the only 2800 that is produced today is the higher
                > >voltage unit ...

                Some folks just don't like the word "previous owned." I can appreciate that.

                If "new" is a requirement, please keep in mind that MicroTrains markets a
                single MRC throttle (MRC 1300) already modified for Marklin/MTL 10v maximums
                brand new in a box. Sole anywhere MTL products are sold, and at a huge number of
                places on the Internet. Its a very affordable unit.

                Hope this helps, too.
                Bill K.
                Houston

              • Glen Chenier
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "miked_r" <miked_r@y...> wrote:

                  > Looking at one with the following specs:
                  >
                  > Output: Cab 1 14.0 VDC, 14.8 VAC Cab 2 14.0 VDC Then it says Total
                  > Output: Cab 1 8.5VA Cab 2 8.5VA
                  >
                  > Is this the one that can be used with Z Scale?

                  All good answers, as long as you keep the speed prototypical, feel the
                  loco for excess heat, and know for sure that no 'Indy 500' operators
                  will ever touch the throttle knob, this pack is fine, but different
                  from the other MRC power packs i've looked at.

                  I have a MRC 2800 Tech II 14.0 volt version permanently mounted in a
                  small N scale layout. Earlier today put an oscilloscope to it for the
                  first time to get some knob positions vs voltage for this thread, have
                  only looked at MRC 1370, MRC1400, and MRC1440 before.

                  Big surprise. The 14.0 volt 2800 is nothing like the others.
                  John_Ztrains, I took the liberty of adding these waveform photos
                  temporarily to your 2800_MRC album to show the difference. These
                  photos will be deleted in a few days. All waveforms are shown at 2
                  volts per vertical division on the screen.

                  The 1370 puts out 120 somewhat sine shaped pulses per second, shown in
                  blue. All pulses are the same amplitude and vary from zero up to over
                  20 volts at their peak depending on the throttle knob position. At
                  the voltage shown a MTL F7 was doing about 55 scale MPH.

                  The 1440 and the 1400 shown in yellow put out 60 sine pulses per
                  second separated by gaps at low throttle, at intermediate throttle the
                  pulse voltage increase and the gaps between large pulses gets filled
                  in with lower voltage pulses, at full throttle there are 120 pulses
                  per second all the same maximum voltage of over 20 volts and dropping
                  back to zero volts between pulses. Again the voltages shown are for a
                  MTL F7 at 55 scale MPH. I believe the MRC 1300 has the same output as
                  the 1400 according to Bill's observations from long ago.

                  The 2800 Tech II outputs 3-step ramped trapezoid shaped pulses
                  superimposed on a variable DC level. The photo shows 4 positions of
                  the throttle with 0 volts at 1 division up from the bottom on which
                  the lower white trace is sitting. This trace is with the knob at
                  about 20 on the dial. The second trace up is with the knob at about
                  30. The third up (yellow) is with the knob at 55, and the top blue is
                  with the knob at 75. Two small N scale locos were running from these,
                  but with the loco on or off made very little difference to the waveform.

                  The scope calculates Mean, RMS, and Maximum (peak) values. Using
                  these for the following table may help MRC 2800 Tech II 14.0 volt
                  users figure the maximum safe spot on the throttle knob setting. The
                  RMS is the important reading as this directly influences the heat
                  produced; the Mean is what a standard voltmeter would display. This
                  type of waveform that is superimposed on a DC level is more benign to
                  a Z scale locomotive than the sinusoid type pulses that return to zero
                  between pulses, and a typical meter will read closer to true value
                  since much of this voltage is DC.

                  Note this is only for the MRC 2800 Tech II rated at 14.0 volts. The
                  maximum knob position for Z scale should be 60 to 70, both cabs on
                  mine tracked farly close together in position vs voltage. Earlier 10
                  volt models may be very different, and might even be the sinusoid
                  pulse variety. If someone with a 10 volt model and a scope can have a
                  look it would be interesting to know.

                  Knob Mean RMS Max
                  0 0
                  10 0
                  20 0.93 1.29 2.48
                  30 2.73 3.08 5.04
                  40 4.45 4.74 7.28
                  50 5.85 6.08 8.64
                  60 7.61 7.77 10.2
                  70 9.03 9.15 11.6
                  80 10.9 11.1 12.6
                  90 13.6 13.7 13.8
                  100 14.1 14.1 14.1 pure DC
                • zbendtrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Glen:

                    > Big surprise. The 14.0 volt 2800 is nothing like the others.

                    That IS a surprise (the waveform). I'm tempted to buy one just to tear into
                    it and discover the circuitry that generates that interesting waveform.

                    However, my concern is not limited to just motors anymore. Motors can handle
                    almost any waveform and peak voltages up to their limit of heat dissipation.
                    After all, they are just a simple coil of wire and a magnet, when you get
                    right down to it.

                    But solid state electronics is not so tolerant of peak voltages some
                    waveforms might present. With many folks adding electronic packages to the locos
                    (DCC, constant lighting, electronic flywheels, etc.) the peak value has become
                    more of a concern.

                    This is a special concern to module groups, or to owners of equipment who
                    might run on a module setup. In these situations, the owner of an embellished
                    loco may not be aware of what the module power pack is under the drapes, or its
                    output characteristics. As I mentioned in an earlier post today, its just not
                    polite to blow up a guest loco (or you own embellished loco) on your modules
                    (or home layout) due to a power pack/electronics mismatch.

                    We've recently had a thread on this group about blown up constant lighting
                    modules. And on another Z list, thread(s) about exploding capacitors. These
                    devices have sensitivities to peak voltages, not just the effective RMS value.

                    The absolute limit of 16vdc peak (11.3v sinusoidal RMS) for one lighting
                    manufacturer can be found here:
                    http://www.richmondcontrols.com/compati.html

                    I particularly noted the reference in your measurements to 20 volts (snips
                    below):

                    > The 1370 puts out 120 somewhat sine shaped pulses per second, shown in
                    > blue. All pulses are the same amplitude and vary from zero up to over
                    > 20 volts at their peak depending on the throttle knob position.

                    > The 1440 and the 1400 shown in yellow put out 60 sine pulses...<snip> all
                    the same maximum voltage of over 20 volts and dropping

                    > Note this is only for the MRC 2800 Tech II rated at 14.0 volts. The
                    > maximum knob position for Z scale should be 60 to 70, both cabs on

                    Perhaps those of us with suitable equipment should form a separate,
                    temporary, Yahoo group and set up a goal to locate and test as many "safe" power packs
                    we can? Then publish the list for those who are not technical?

                    I'm game.
                    Bill K.
                    Houston

                  • Glen Chenier
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:

                      > That IS a surprise (the waveform). I'm tempted to buy one just to
                      tear into
                      > it and discover the circuitry that generates that interesting waveform.
                      <snip>

                      Before taking the readings I thought the 2800 was just two 1400's in
                      the same box and never bothered looking closely until now. (2 times
                      1400 = 2800) Silly of me... I should never assime things.

                      <snip>
                      > But solid state electronics is not so tolerant of peak voltages some
                      > waveforms might present. With many folks adding electronic packages
                      to the locos
                      > (DCC, constant lighting, electronic flywheels, etc.) the peak value
                      has become
                      > more of a concern.
                      > The absolute limit of 16vdc peak (11.3v sinusoidal RMS) for one
                      lighting
                      > manufacturer can be found here:
                      > http://www.richmondcontrols.com/compati.html
                      > I particularly noted the reference in your measurements to 20 volts
                      (snips
                      > below):
                      > > The 1370 puts out 120 somewhat sine shaped pulses per second, shown in
                      > > blue. All pulses are the same amplitude and vary from zero up to over
                      > > 20 volts at their peak depending on the throttle knob position.
                      >
                      > > The 1440 and the 1400 shown in yellow put out 60 sine
                      pulses...<snip> all
                      > the same maximum voltage of over 20 volts and dropping

                      Yes, the 1300,1370, 1400, 1440 can be hazardous to the add-ons if even
                      momentarily advanced too high from a slip of the hand. Semiconductor
                      junctions can fail instantly from overvoltage. A mechanical stop on
                      the knob is really a good idea if these extras are in the locomotive.
                      The 14.0 volt 2800 (the one that I tested) never went above 14.1V
                      even at full throttle so would seem to be a better design than the
                      others for safety of add-ons. But as MRC is now known to change
                      electrical specs without changing model numbers (this was news to me -
                      very interesting news...) caution is the word.

                      > Perhaps those of us with suitable equipment should form a separate,
                      > temporary, Yahoo group and set up a goal to locate and test as many
                      "safe" power packs
                      > we can? Then publish the list for those who are not technical?
                      >
                      > I'm game.
                      > Bill K.
                      > Houston

                      So am I. New group formed:

                      Let's see what we can learn about commercial power packs. I know only
                      the MRC packs that I own. All are welcome to join and learn /
                      contribute to power pack technish.

                      Wouldn't it be nice if power pack (and other railroad electrical
                      device) manufacturers actually printed the real technical
                      specification information in their literature? Just like the
                      manufacturers of stereo equipment?