Re: Buki's - and others

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      My Favorite Hobby Shop, the one I boasted about earlier in 2005
      folded on December 23, a few days ago. Sales from all scales were
      down this year for them. That was their reasoning for closing. I
      gave them all of my Micro-Trains orders. Even though they did not
      have much Z in the store, they would get whatever you wanted, from
      anywhere. I bought all of my styrene plastic, glues, paints,
      scenery stuff from them. They had a large loyal base of clients,
      but 2005 just wasn't the year for them.

      I lost a good hobby shop. They sold trains, and a little military
      models and war gaming stuff. 7/8 of the store was trains. It was
      the place to go to hear the latest Train gossip.

      Now I am left with three places to get trains or accessories. One
      is Hobby Town, which will drain your bank account quickly, Kennessaw
      Trains, and a place called Atlanta Trains. Atlanta Trains
      specialize in "G" gauge with some HO, N and a bit of Marklin "Z"
      (according to them, "Z" is for the local COLLECTORS). I don't like
      Atlanta Trains for their attitude is similar to the big department
      stores. If you don't look like you will buy anything, then they
      won't offer you any assistance. All $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to them.
      Attitude was the major factor in my going with the now "recently
      closed" hobby shop.

      Kennessaw Trains is my best bet now and the furthest away. I'm
      going to have to time my visits well.

      Getting back to the subject of train stores, like Buki's, closing
      all over the USA, it is not just a "Z" thing. It is all the
      scales! Not "Z" alone!

      Farwell Marietta Hobbies!!!

      Tim

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <d.f.avila@a...> wrote:

      > Rob:
      >
      > Several times you have mentioned the demise of Buki's, including in
      > Ztrack. I was in both his old and new store plus you took me to
      his
      > home. I don't believe I really saw much Z at any of those
      locations,
      > but lots and lots of other scales. This would imply that Buki
      went down
      > the tubes for reasons other than Z. The new Ztrack doesn't really
      say
      > Buki folded due to lack of Z [no Christmas gift etc], but I do
      think it
      > should be a lot clearer to the readership that it was not the lack
      of Z
      > sales that brought him down.
      >
      > Would you agree?
      >
      > Don
      > Akron, Ohio - USA

    • Allan Miller
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        I have to do all of my train buying via mail order, since there's no
        hobby shop in my area--an increasingly common phenomenon as more and
        more established shops close their doors.

        I buy almost all my Z scale from Bill Ott (Modellbahn Ott), in
        Pennsylvana; Micro-Macro-Mundo, in Miami; and Trans-Global Hobbies, in
        Alabama. Have also bought from Z.Scale Hobo (Frank) on occasion.
        Great prices and service from all of the above.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          Sales of Z (or lack thereof) would not be enough to bring ANY hobby
          shop down, or, for that matter, to keep one going or make it
          successful. Z is still a very small segment of the overall hobby, so
          when a store folds you can be 100% certain that sales of Z alone was
          not a major factor in the equation. ALL scales in model railroading
          are experiencing something of a slump these days, and in some
          scales--O gauge for example--the market is a real mess.

          Truth is, Z is probably one of the few growth areas in the hobby,
          along, perhaps, with Large Scale.

        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
            Don,

            I actually wrote about Buki's closing in the March/April 2005 Trackside
            Perspective. Here I talked about the demise. Bill Anthony, the owner of Buki's is a
            wonderful man. He did offer a large selection of Z, though it thinned closer
            to the time of the closing. Actually, at the time, Buki's was the largest AZL
            dealer in the country. The fact is Buki's did not shut his doors because he
            could not sell Z. He also did not shut his doors because of a lack of model
            train sells. He closed his doors because he tried to be a high end toy shop that
            carried model trains. This business plan was flawed and soon he found himself
            in the red and unable to recover.

            I miss Bukis. I also feel for those such as Tim who just lost their local
            hobby shop. More and more shops are going to close. It is happening in the US and
            Europe alike. All I have to say is support your local dealer especially if
            they are good people and support Z scale. If you don't have a good dealer close
            by, then try the dealers who advertise in Ztrack. Any one of these dealers are
            good people who support our scale.

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.