Re: MRC 2800 Tech II 10 VDC Version Photos

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      I've just put a couple of shots of the 10.6 VDC version of the MRC 2800
      in the Photos section in a folder titled, cleverly enough: 2800_MRC:

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        John:

        > I've just put a couple of shots of the 10.6 VDC version of the MRC 2800
        > in the Photos section in a folder titled, cleverly enough: 2800_MRC:

        Great photos. And now I learned something new.

        There are three formats, not two, of the 2800. (10.1) (10.6) and (14.5) vdc
        output. And they are all labeled "2800." There out to be a law against that.

        Both 10.x volt outputs are in the "safe" output range, I'd say.

        Something else I thought about on the 14.5 volt version. The non-sinusodial
        output of the 14.5vdc version would burn out onboard solid state
        embellishments instantly, like the Richmond Control lighting modules, even if you were to
        hold the RMS value of the output down to 10vdc.

        So I'll change my answer to an absolute NO for the 14.5vdc version. Its not
        polite to burn out something in a "guest" loco on your layout. Or one of your
        own locos that has 3rd party solid state stuff onboard. That could include
        DCC-equipped locos being run on DC.

        Happy New Year,
        Bill K.
        Houston

      • miked_r
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Thank you Michael, John & Bill!

          They should give them different model numbers, if not different
          version numbers at least!! Bill good point on RMS values-often not
          factored in or understood in electrical discussions.

          HAPPY NEW YEAR & HAPPY 1st ANNIVESARY TRI-STATE Z-SCALERS!!

          Michael (R. not H.) :-)

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
          <snip>
          > So I'll change my answer to an absolute NO for the 14.5vdc
          version. Its not
          > polite to burn out something in a "guest" loco on your layout. Or
          one of your
          > own locos that has 3rd party solid state stuff onboard. That could
          include
          > DCC-equipped locos being run on DC.
          <snip>
        • Joe Krepps
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            All,

            So how does one order the right 2800?

            Joe
          • Brad Saunders
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
              I've been told that the only 2800 that is produced today is the higher
              voltage unit ... the 10.xV units are the original version of the power pack.
              Sometimes you find the older 2800s listed on eBay (and maybe other auction
              sites) ... this might be your only chance to find one unless some hobby
              shops still have stock of the older unit.

              Brad

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                Brad:

                > I've been told that the only 2800 that is produced today is the higher
                > voltage unit ... the 10.xV units are the original version of the power pack.
                > Sometimes you find the older 2800s listed on eBay

                Could be, can't say. But if that's the case, there is absolutely nothing
                that wears out on the 2800's, so auctions would be a reasonably safe route to
                follow. Prices range around the middle 20 dollar range. There's one on eBay
                tonight in the original box for 9 dollars (at the minute).

                Don't just search Z scale, search ALL scales since they might be listed under
                HO through Z.

                Hope this helps,
                Bill K.
                Houston

              • zbendtrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Another thought:

                  > >I've been told that the only 2800 that is produced today is the higher
                  > >voltage unit ...

                  Some folks just don't like the word "previous owned." I can appreciate that.

                  If "new" is a requirement, please keep in mind that MicroTrains markets a
                  single MRC throttle (MRC 1300) already modified for Marklin/MTL 10v maximums
                  brand new in a box. Sole anywhere MTL products are sold, and at a huge number of
                  places on the Internet. Its a very affordable unit.

                  Hope this helps, too.
                  Bill K.
                  Houston

                • Glen Chenier
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "miked_r" <miked_r@y...> wrote:

                    > Looking at one with the following specs:
                    >
                    > Output: Cab 1 14.0 VDC, 14.8 VAC Cab 2 14.0 VDC Then it says Total
                    > Output: Cab 1 8.5VA Cab 2 8.5VA
                    >
                    > Is this the one that can be used with Z Scale?

                    All good answers, as long as you keep the speed prototypical, feel the
                    loco for excess heat, and know for sure that no 'Indy 500' operators
                    will ever touch the throttle knob, this pack is fine, but different
                    from the other MRC power packs i've looked at.

                    I have a MRC 2800 Tech II 14.0 volt version permanently mounted in a
                    small N scale layout. Earlier today put an oscilloscope to it for the
                    first time to get some knob positions vs voltage for this thread, have
                    only looked at MRC 1370, MRC1400, and MRC1440 before.

                    Big surprise. The 14.0 volt 2800 is nothing like the others.
                    John_Ztrains, I took the liberty of adding these waveform photos
                    temporarily to your 2800_MRC album to show the difference. These
                    photos will be deleted in a few days. All waveforms are shown at 2
                    volts per vertical division on the screen.

                    The 1370 puts out 120 somewhat sine shaped pulses per second, shown in
                    blue. All pulses are the same amplitude and vary from zero up to over
                    20 volts at their peak depending on the throttle knob position. At
                    the voltage shown a MTL F7 was doing about 55 scale MPH.

                    The 1440 and the 1400 shown in yellow put out 60 sine pulses per
                    second separated by gaps at low throttle, at intermediate throttle the
                    pulse voltage increase and the gaps between large pulses gets filled
                    in with lower voltage pulses, at full throttle there are 120 pulses
                    per second all the same maximum voltage of over 20 volts and dropping
                    back to zero volts between pulses. Again the voltages shown are for a
                    MTL F7 at 55 scale MPH. I believe the MRC 1300 has the same output as
                    the 1400 according to Bill's observations from long ago.

                    The 2800 Tech II outputs 3-step ramped trapezoid shaped pulses
                    superimposed on a variable DC level. The photo shows 4 positions of
                    the throttle with 0 volts at 1 division up from the bottom on which
                    the lower white trace is sitting. This trace is with the knob at
                    about 20 on the dial. The second trace up is with the knob at about
                    30. The third up (yellow) is with the knob at 55, and the top blue is
                    with the knob at 75. Two small N scale locos were running from these,
                    but with the loco on or off made very little difference to the waveform.

                    The scope calculates Mean, RMS, and Maximum (peak) values. Using
                    these for the following table may help MRC 2800 Tech II 14.0 volt
                    users figure the maximum safe spot on the throttle knob setting. The
                    RMS is the important reading as this directly influences the heat
                    produced; the Mean is what a standard voltmeter would display. This
                    type of waveform that is superimposed on a DC level is more benign to
                    a Z scale locomotive than the sinusoid type pulses that return to zero
                    between pulses, and a typical meter will read closer to true value
                    since much of this voltage is DC.

                    Note this is only for the MRC 2800 Tech II rated at 14.0 volts. The
                    maximum knob position for Z scale should be 60 to 70, both cabs on
                    mine tracked farly close together in position vs voltage. Earlier 10
                    volt models may be very different, and might even be the sinusoid
                    pulse variety. If someone with a 10 volt model and a scope can have a
                    look it would be interesting to know.

                    Knob Mean RMS Max
                    0 0
                    10 0
                    20 0.93 1.29 2.48
                    30 2.73 3.08 5.04
                    40 4.45 4.74 7.28
                    50 5.85 6.08 8.64
                    60 7.61 7.77 10.2
                    70 9.03 9.15 11.6
                    80 10.9 11.1 12.6
                    90 13.6 13.7 13.8
                    100 14.1 14.1 14.1 pure DC
                  • zbendtrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Glen:

                      > Big surprise. The 14.0 volt 2800 is nothing like the others.

                      That IS a surprise (the waveform). I'm tempted to buy one just to tear into
                      it and discover the circuitry that generates that interesting waveform.

                      However, my concern is not limited to just motors anymore. Motors can handle
                      almost any waveform and peak voltages up to their limit of heat dissipation.
                      After all, they are just a simple coil of wire and a magnet, when you get
                      right down to it.

                      But solid state electronics is not so tolerant of peak voltages some
                      waveforms might present. With many folks adding electronic packages to the locos
                      (DCC, constant lighting, electronic flywheels, etc.) the peak value has become
                      more of a concern.

                      This is a special concern to module groups, or to owners of equipment who
                      might run on a module setup. In these situations, the owner of an embellished
                      loco may not be aware of what the module power pack is under the drapes, or its
                      output characteristics. As I mentioned in an earlier post today, its just not
                      polite to blow up a guest loco (or you own embellished loco) on your modules
                      (or home layout) due to a power pack/electronics mismatch.

                      We've recently had a thread on this group about blown up constant lighting
                      modules. And on another Z list, thread(s) about exploding capacitors. These
                      devices have sensitivities to peak voltages, not just the effective RMS value.

                      The absolute limit of 16vdc peak (11.3v sinusoidal RMS) for one lighting
                      manufacturer can be found here:
                      http://www.richmondcontrols.com/compati.html

                      I particularly noted the reference in your measurements to 20 volts (snips
                      below):

                      > The 1370 puts out 120 somewhat sine shaped pulses per second, shown in
                      > blue. All pulses are the same amplitude and vary from zero up to over
                      > 20 volts at their peak depending on the throttle knob position.

                      > The 1440 and the 1400 shown in yellow put out 60 sine pulses...<snip> all
                      the same maximum voltage of over 20 volts and dropping

                      > Note this is only for the MRC 2800 Tech II rated at 14.0 volts. The
                      > maximum knob position for Z scale should be 60 to 70, both cabs on

                      Perhaps those of us with suitable equipment should form a separate,
                      temporary, Yahoo group and set up a goal to locate and test as many "safe" power packs
                      we can? Then publish the list for those who are not technical?

                      I'm game.
                      Bill K.
                      Houston

                    • Glen Chenier
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:

                        > That IS a surprise (the waveform). I'm tempted to buy one just to
                        tear into
                        > it and discover the circuitry that generates that interesting waveform.
                        <snip>

                        Before taking the readings I thought the 2800 was just two 1400's in
                        the same box and never bothered looking closely until now. (2 times
                        1400 = 2800) Silly of me... I should never assime things.

                        <snip>
                        > But solid state electronics is not so tolerant of peak voltages some
                        > waveforms might present. With many folks adding electronic packages
                        to the locos
                        > (DCC, constant lighting, electronic flywheels, etc.) the peak value
                        has become
                        > more of a concern.
                        > The absolute limit of 16vdc peak (11.3v sinusoidal RMS) for one
                        lighting
                        > manufacturer can be found here:
                        > http://www.richmondcontrols.com/compati.html
                        > I particularly noted the reference in your measurements to 20 volts
                        (snips
                        > below):
                        > > The 1370 puts out 120 somewhat sine shaped pulses per second, shown in
                        > > blue. All pulses are the same amplitude and vary from zero up to over
                        > > 20 volts at their peak depending on the throttle knob position.
                        >
                        > > The 1440 and the 1400 shown in yellow put out 60 sine
                        pulses...<snip> all
                        > the same maximum voltage of over 20 volts and dropping

                        Yes, the 1300,1370, 1400, 1440 can be hazardous to the add-ons if even
                        momentarily advanced too high from a slip of the hand. Semiconductor
                        junctions can fail instantly from overvoltage. A mechanical stop on
                        the knob is really a good idea if these extras are in the locomotive.
                        The 14.0 volt 2800 (the one that I tested) never went above 14.1V
                        even at full throttle so would seem to be a better design than the
                        others for safety of add-ons. But as MRC is now known to change
                        electrical specs without changing model numbers (this was news to me -
                        very interesting news...) caution is the word.

                        > Perhaps those of us with suitable equipment should form a separate,
                        > temporary, Yahoo group and set up a goal to locate and test as many
                        "safe" power packs
                        > we can? Then publish the list for those who are not technical?
                        >
                        > I'm game.
                        > Bill K.
                        > Houston

                        So am I. New group formed:

                        Let's see what we can learn about commercial power packs. I know only
                        the MRC packs that I own. All are welcome to join and learn /
                        contribute to power pack technish.

                        Wouldn't it be nice if power pack (and other railroad electrical
                        device) manufacturers actually printed the real technical
                        specification information in their literature? Just like the
                        manufacturers of stereo equipment?