Re: New Orleans Public Belt -- question

  • Russ Meier
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
      Randy,

      Thanks for the info. So, the basic setup is the NOPB switches the industries and port so
      the class 1's don't have to. Right? The class 1's just run to their yards and leave the
      switching to NOPB.

      I found a lot of great reading in the links. Thus, I chose to reply to the entire group rather
      than just privately to Randy. Many of you may be interested in some of these links.

      Happy 2006.

      Russ

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:

      > Russ,
      >
      > It's basically a municpally owned industrial switching railroad that serves the port and
      industries around it and connects it (interchanges) with the 6 Class 1 railroads that serve
      New Orleans.

      > For anyone interested:
      >
      > http://www.nopb.com/
      >
      > http://nutrias.org/~nopl/exhibits/choochoo/page3.htm
      >
      > It might be the only publically owned terminal railroad left in the USA now. There used
      to be other publically owned terminal RR's. A lot of them like Los Angels Junction and the
      Houston Belt are owned jointly by multiple Class 1 railroads to provide switching to
      industrial areas and ports.

      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Junction_Railway
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/espee9164/lajr.html
      >
      > http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/HH/eqh11.html
      >
      > http://yardlimit.railfan.net/gallery/bn/terminal.html
      >
      > http://www.terminalrailroad.com/
      >
      > modeling possibilties
      >
      > http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/bedt.html
      >
      > http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/small-layouts.html
      >
      > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Randy Smidt
      >
      > Russ Meier <agentink_and_zfan@y...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone:
      >
      > 1. Check out the Oct 2005 issue of CTC Board Railroads Illustrated. It is a good
      > introduction to the railroads of New Orleans and their history. In fact, of all the post-
      > Katrina railroad magazine coverage, it is the only one I've seen that DOESN'T focus on
      the
      > damage, but instead focuses on how the railroads got there through history. And, of
      > course, as is always the case with CTC there is some really great photography. Took
      this
      > to the gym with me today -- don't give me any ribbing about running indoors since it's
      > just above freezing here in Milwaukee today -- and read the whole thing cover-to-cover
      > on the treadmill. Now, on to my question...
      >
      > 2. Can someone tell me what the role of the New Orleans Public Belt is? I checked the
      > NOPB website and it says it is a "terminal switching railroad that is publically owned."
      Ok,
      > so what EXACTLY is it responsible for doing in New Orleans. It also claims to be unique
      > because of it's public status. Do you know of any other similar railroads in cities across
      > the country?
      >
      > I know I could google or wiki it, but you folks are much more fun, and who knows -- we
      > might even get some great modeling ideas out of the discussion.
      >
      > Russ Meier
      > Milwaukee, WI
      > MILW,UP, and CP in Z

      > G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train
      Z scale model train Z scale