New to Z and new to trains again

  • ralba1998
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
      Years ago my twin and I had a huge train set - most recently our
      wives have gotten us back into it and we are both investing in new
      sets. He actually was able to score a free Marklin set circa 1980 -
      I believe it is the same train that is on the Christmas set.
      Ironically we got three of those as gifts for our parents and I know
      for sure they will love them. My dad was huge into trains and I
      think if I introduce him to Z he will have a blast in putting a set
      together. To bad he is in Florida and I am in NY so it will be hard
      to help.

      So enough banter on me. Do you guys think the American Starter set
      is a good value? - It looks to me that the track alone is worth $$$$
      more than the $449 a few sites are asking for.

      Also - I have downloaded traincad - a rather primitive application
      and was wondering if anyone created a manual on how to properly use
      it. Or should I get a real app. I was also looking at some amazing
      layouts - was wondering if I should just get some layout books.

      Thanks,
      Ray
    • randy smidt
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
        Ray,

        Welcome to Z scale. Don't hesitate to ask any questions here. Since there is a good range of folks from complete novice to "been in Z scale since 1972" (the year Z scale was invented), someone will usually have an answer for you. If your wives that got you and your brother back in to trains have more than a passing interest, you may find that there are a number of women z scalers on this list as well.

        The Marklin starter sets are excellent values, some as much as 50% off from the retail price of the individual pieces. What kind of trains are you interested in, North American, European, steam, diesel, electric? Micro Trains Line (MTL) also has starter sets with their F7's and GP35's, but they do not include a transformer with their sets.

        What part of New York are you in? There is a Z scale group in the NYC/NJ/CT area. I'm sure some of those folks will speak up as well.

        Not sure about TrainCAD specifically, but there has been plenty of discussion here in the past on "Layout Design Software". You might be able to dig up something in the list archives if no one has an immediate answer for you.

        Randy Smidt
        Springfield, VA

        ralba1998 <ralba1998@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Brad Saunders
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
          Ray ... welcome to the world of Z ... yes, the Marklin American Starter set
          is quite a good deal (I got mine earlier in the year for $444 when it was on
          a sale offer) and a great way to get started.

          I use Cadrail for my layout software ... its quite advanced, takes a bit of
          effort to get used to, and it can be used for other design tasks as well
          (such as drawing 3D structures). It comes with a Marklin track library but
          I've found that the switches in the library seem to not be properly
          represented so I found out that it was relatively easy to create a couple of
          new switch representations in a library of my own after doing a little
          research on the web to get the right dimensioning.

          Z-scale specific layout designs are hard to come by in books (other than
          Marklin's layout pamplet which comes with the starter set above) ... you are
          more likely to find a layout in another scale that strikes your fancy and
          want to convert it to Z. Care needs to be taken in converting layouts as
          simple scaling doesn't always work well, especially if the overall layout
          has sections that are meant to be walked into, e.g. a C shape, because you
          could be scaling that section to a size too small to still walk into.
          Anyway, I'm sure that if you can identify a plan to this group that you want
          to convert, you can get some ideas from members regarding scaling it
          successfully. Any idea on how big a layout you want to make?

          Regards, Brad

          _____

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • ralba1998
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
            Randy,

            Well I like the American Diesel lines and I love the Euro-stuff as
            well. The MTL stuff looks great and there GP35 is very detailed and
            way more affordable than the AZL stuff I have seen. Though the AZL
            stuff is incredible!

            I have a deal where I can get an ICE-3 (one of my favorite fast
            trains) for $350 new. So if I get the American Starter set - which
            has a great value in track - it might not fit well. Though I can
            create a different Euroset if I get the ICE. Is it not PC to combine
            different engines from different continents?

            I live in NYC - on the upper west side. Came across a Z scale group
            up in Hudson Valley - though not sure where. It's a drive from where
            I am. I gotta believe there has to be a club in NYC - would love to
            join and learn - teach my kids - this cool great hobby.

            Ray

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:

            > Ray,
            >
            > Welcome to Z scale. Don't hesitate to ask any questions here.
            Since there is a good range of folks from complete novice to "been
            in Z scale since 1972" (the year Z scale was invented), someone will
            usually have an answer for you. If your wives that got you and your
            brother back in to trains have more than a passing interest, you may
            find that there are a number of women z scalers on this list as well.

            > The Marklin starter sets are excellent values, some as much as
            50% off from the retail price of the individual pieces. What kind
            of trains are you interested in, North American, European, steam,
            diesel, electric? Micro Trains Line (MTL) also has starter sets
            with their F7's and GP35's, but they do not include a transformer
            with their sets.

            > What part of New York are you in? There is a Z scale group in
            the NYC/NJ/CT area. I'm sure some of those folks will speak up as
            well.

            > Not sure about TrainCAD specifically, but there has been plenty
            of discussion here in the past on "Layout Design Software". You
            might be able to dig up something in the list archives if no one has
            an immediate answer for you.

            > Randy Smidt
            > Springfield, VA
            >
            > ralba1998 <ralba1998@y...> wrote:
            > Years ago my twin and I had a huge train set - most recently our
            > wives have gotten us back into it and we are both investing in new
            > sets. He actually was able to score a free Marklin set circa 1980 -

            > I believe it is the same train that is on the Christmas set.
            > Ironically we got three of those as gifts for our parents and I
            know
            > for sure they will love them. My dad was huge into trains and I
            > think if I introduce him to Z he will have a blast in putting a
            set
            > together. To bad he is in Florida and I am in NY so it will be
            hard
            > to help.
            >
            > So enough banter on me. Do you guys think the American Starter set
            > is a good value? - It looks to me that the track alone is worth
            $$$$
            > more than the $449 a few sites are asking for.
            >
            > Also - I have downloaded traincad - a rather primitive application
            > and was wondering if anyone created a manual on how to properly
            use
            > it. Or should I get a real app. I was also looking at some amazing
            > layouts - was wondering if I should just get some layout books.
            >

            > Thanks,
            > Ray

            Service.

          • bill.foote
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
              I would suggest that you get XtrkCAD - it is a very
              comprehensive, professionally implemented, package and is
              FREE from www.sillub.com

              Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

              > Also - I have downloaded traincad - a rather primitive
              > application
              > and was wondering if anyone created a manual on how to
              > properly use
              > it. Or should I get a real app. I was also looking at some
              > amazing
              > layouts - was wondering if I should just get some layout
              > books.
            • Michael Hilliard
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
                Welcome to Z Ray,

                We are not exactly in the city, but I'd like to invite you, and anyone else in the area, to join the Tri-State Z Scalers; nyzmetromail-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . We hold monthly meetings the first Saturday of the month from noon til...? We have 8 regular members (and yes one woman) at this point that look forward to the first Saturday each month. We share lots of Z trains and good food/beverages and good times, it's a fun and educational day for all interested in Z scale model railroading.

                We usually meet here in Wilton, CT (lower Fairfield County, less than a hour from you) and have members from NYC, Long Island, the Lower Hudsom Valley, New Jersey, and Lower Connecticut. Lately our NYC and LI members have been meeting in Queens or Great Neck LI and carpooling up from there, although the MetroNorth RR does come into Wilton (and is not on strike <smile>), free rides from & to the Wilton station always available.

                Our next meet is 2 weeks from this Sat. and if you'd like to check out the various makers products before buying, do come. And if you've already bought, bring everything along to share and run on our tracks and bring your questions as well, there should be someone here that can answer them.

                I'm off to the store, but will be home later and most of the weekend, feel free to give a call and again welcome to the craZy world of Z.

                Michael Hilliard
                Wilton, CT 06897
                ph. 203-762-2476

                ralba1998 <ralba1998@...> wrote:

> [...]

                know
                > for sure they will love them. My dad was huge into trains and I
                > think if I introduce him to Z he will have a blast in putting a
                set
                > together. To bad he is in Florida and I am in NY so it will be
                hard
                > to help.
                >
                > So enough banter on me. Do you guys think the American Starter set
                > is a good value? - It looks to me that the track alone is worth
                $$$$
                > more than the $449 a few sites are asking for.
                >
                > Also - I have downloaded traincad - a rather primitive application
                > and was wondering if anyone created a manual on how to properly
                use
                > it. Or should I get a real app. I was also looking at some amazing
                > layouts - was wondering if I should just get some layout books.

                Service.

                G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

              • ralba1998
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
                  Thanks for the info-

                  I got the American Set for 449 and its being shipped UPS for arrival
                  tomorrow at 10:30 AM. My wife is just as excited as I am. And the
                  kids - well they will be happy once they see it and get to help out
                  putting it togeteher.

                  As for size set - I have been thinking of doing something fairly
                  modular. Thinking of first starting with a dog bone - maybe 70
                  inches and 48 wide - with some inner track - That though might be to
                  big for a modular peice. Any advice there as to where I should
                  start? What is reasonable for us to begin with? I suppose we would
                  become frustrated if we took on more than we can do.

                  Where can I find Cadrail?

                  Ray

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Saunders" <saundebn@c...>
                  wrote:

                  > Ray ... welcome to the world of Z ... yes, the Marklin American
                  Starter set
                  > is quite a good deal (I got mine earlier in the year for $444 when
                  it was on
                  > a sale offer) and a great way to get started.
                  >
                  > I use Cadrail for my layout software ... its quite advanced, takes
                  a bit of
                  > effort to get used to, and it can be used for other design tasks
                  as well
                  > (such as drawing 3D structures). It comes with a Marklin track
                  library but
                  > I've found that the switches in the library seem to not be properly
                  > represented so I found out that it was relatively easy to create a
                  couple of
                  > new switch representations in a library of my own after doing a
                  little
                  > research on the web to get the right dimensioning.
                  >
                  > Z-scale specific layout designs are hard to come by in books
                  (other than
                  > Marklin's layout pamplet which comes with the starter set
                  above) ... you are
                  > more likely to find a layout in another scale that strikes your
                  fancy and
                  > want to convert it to Z. Care needs to be taken in converting
                  layouts as
                  > simple scaling doesn't always work well, especially if the overall
                  layout
                  > has sections that are meant to be walked into, e.g. a C shape,
                  because you
                  > could be scaling that section to a size too small to still walk
                  into.
                  > Anyway, I'm sure that if you can identify a plan to this group
                  that you want
                  > to convert, you can get some ideas from members regarding scaling
                  it
                  > successfully. Any idea on how big a layout you want to make?
                  >
                  > Regards, Brad
                  >
                  > _____

                  Behalf Of

                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale> "
                  > on the web.

                  Service
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > _____

                • ralba1998
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
                    This is a really nice Cad APP. Certainly easier than TrainCad and
                    its free. Like that. I guess I will play with us and see where it
                    takes me. The learning curve looks a little easy.

                    Ironically I live in NYC- which has the largest rail system in this
                    country! And ironically the trains are still out even after
                    announcing the strike is over. Tomorrow the trains will be running.

                    Tomorrow my American Super Deluxe set comes in - for my twin I got
                    him a special locomotive that I think he will love. just have to get
                    some rolling stock for it.

                    Ray

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bill.foote" <bill.foote@v...> wrote:

                    > I would suggest that you get XtrkCAD - it is a very
                    > comprehensive, professionally implemented, package and is
                    > FREE from www.sillub.com
                    >
                    > Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

                  • bill.foote
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2005
                      There is an XtrkCAD Yahoo Group that you may well find
                      helpful