attachments

  • Ysbrand van der Veen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hello,

      There's a great advantage on using the files/pictures
      option and that is that the content will also be
      available for members that join the group later on.
      Another thing is that most people will only save
      attached pictures when they are actual to them at the
      time of the posting. Doesn't mean that half a year
      later or so, the subject couldn't possibly attract
      their attention. The files/pictures are ideal in my
      opinion.

      Best
      Ysbrand van der Veen

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
        Hello Ysbrand,

        I must point out that attachments remain in the message archive for all to
        see for as long as the list exists or until Yahoo! pulls the plug.

        The VEC track plan is still available for new members to examine by doing a
        search on the message archive for 'VEC track plan'.

        The advantage of attachments is that they do not count towards the storage
        limit for the group. Every so often I have done some house keeping to
        remove files to keep room available for new uploads.

        It is also a common occurance for ISPs to disappear, change addresses and we
        have all run into the dead URL of a favourite web page. It is already true
        with Z_Scale that several links that are referred to in postings are no
        longer valid.

        To my mind, if the attachment is small there should not be any problem. One
        could also go to the trouble of uploading it to the Z_Scale site and one
        could upload it to some other site. Lots of possibilities. The only
        permanent record that cannot be changed (erased, yes) is posting a message
        with an attachment.

        Other solutions for message management are:
        - moderate all messages from new members who might send megapixel images in
        their enthusiasm to share with us,
        - moderate all messages to police the posting habits of the entire list.
        N_Scale with over 1700 members is managed in this fashion.

        I went back over the attachment habits of this group and I found that very
        few of us send attachments. Many more upload files to the pics section and
        more still send a URL to their own hosting site.

        I use Hotmail as my email client for communications with my groups. I have
        not yet had my inbox explode although if I were to be unable to check my
        emails daily, I would change my delivery status to 'Web only, no email' with
        Z_Scale in order to avoid the overload problems you have described.

        I guess that there are pluses and minuses to every option. It may just come
        down to personal preference.

        Oh, another thing that I have observed while looking over the membership
        list. With the sharp increase in the number of messages on the list, many
        members are changing their delivery option to 'digest' mode in order to
        manage the influx of messages.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan