Re: Where's the Pictures? A little bit of a Rant

  • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      Rant away, Alex. Your point is well taken. I agree with a max file
      size of 50k or less.

      The recent exchange of email attachments has eloquently
      highlighted the difficulties that email lists encounter with
      pictures.

      With todays megapixel cameras, I have had the uncomfortable
      experience of wondering if my email service had failed or my
      computer had crashed when I got nailed with a 1000k jpeg sent
      by a well intentioned Z scaler.

      I know from communications with members in Europe where
      fast connections are very scarce in comparison with US
      households and businesses that many times the members
      would simply delete large messages from the email service
      rather than wait for the download.

      Attachments are convenient but the downside is that most if not
      all of us tend to forget to compress the image before hitting the
      send button. It is very easy to reduce the size of images and
      compress them to less than 15k which offers a reasonable
      resolution for the purpose of illustrating a posting to the list.

      There is no way that the list can be configured to limit the size of
      email attachments. Only the members can do that!

      OK, let's try this on for size <grin>...

      Email attachments of 50k max per message will be tolerated,
      less is better. If the image is bigger than 50k then the 'files -
      pictures' section is the place to send it with a link to it in the
      message.

      Rember this, my friends, images sent as attachments are
      available for the whole world to see and to capture. If the image
      is uploaded to the 'files' section, non members will not have
      access to them.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan

      > I don't have
      > the fastest modem, and downloading those took a little while.
      I'd expect