Re: [z_scale] Where's the Pictures? A little bit of a Rant

  • Alex W
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      > Now, the poll is ongoing so I will continue to allow you to express
      > your position on this issue. However, in the interest of "FUN" on
      > the list, I have returned the group to allow email attachments.
      >
      > Please, Nelson, feel free to resend your email and diagram. I am
      > looking forward to seeing your answers.
      >
      > You'll be receiving several emails from me with attachments during
      > the week while I ponder the latest poll results.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Jeffrey MacHan

      Is there the possibility of limiting the size of the attachment allowed?
      For example, could you make a 50k limit, such that attachments equal to or
      less than 50k go through, but attachments greater than 50k get bounced (or
      simply removed)?

      Intending no persecution of Nelson, I found it quite frustrating to come
      back from lunch only to have almost half a meg of space taken in my mailbox,
      almost all of which was made up of three pictures (two of which were
      identical) from Nelson, all of which were more than 100k each. I don't have
      the fastest modem, and downloading those took a little while. I'd expect
      that with the easy to use graphics applications that are available now,
      cropping a pic and saving it in a compressed format shouldn't be too hard,
      but more often than not, when a pic comes through on this or another email
      list it is very over-sized, frequently with a lot of extra space around the
      border that just adds to the file volume. I've even experimented sometimes
      with immediately saving the pics into a somewhat more compressed jpg file
      (setting the quality to medium, instead of high), and that will often cut
      the file size dramatically.

      Anyway... Sorry for the rant. This is just a little bit of a sore spot for
      me. I don't like waiting ten minutes while my email downloads just for
      oversized pics.

      -alex
    • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        Rant away, Alex. Your point is well taken. I agree with a max file
        size of 50k or less.

        The recent exchange of email attachments has eloquently
        highlighted the difficulties that email lists encounter with
        pictures.

        With todays megapixel cameras, I have had the uncomfortable
        experience of wondering if my email service had failed or my
        computer had crashed when I got nailed with a 1000k jpeg sent
        by a well intentioned Z scaler.

        I know from communications with members in Europe where
        fast connections are very scarce in comparison with US
        households and businesses that many times the members
        would simply delete large messages from the email service
        rather than wait for the download.

        Attachments are convenient but the downside is that most if not
        all of us tend to forget to compress the image before hitting the
        send button. It is very easy to reduce the size of images and
        compress them to less than 15k which offers a reasonable
        resolution for the purpose of illustrating a posting to the list.

        There is no way that the list can be configured to limit the size of
        email attachments. Only the members can do that!

        OK, let's try this on for size <grin>...

        Email attachments of 50k max per message will be tolerated,
        less is better. If the image is bigger than 50k then the 'files -
        pictures' section is the place to send it with a link to it in the
        message.

        Rember this, my friends, images sent as attachments are
        available for the whole world to see and to capture. If the image
        is uploaded to the 'files' section, non members will not have
        access to them.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan