Re: Where's the Pictures?

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hello Nelson,
      Somewhere someone made the decision to cripple
      our email exchange of information. Removing the
      pictures from our email has made the group very
      uninteresting. Now, instead of responding to many
      of our groups ideas and postings, I just delete the
      emails. I don't have time to go to "Yahoo Groups"
      and follow their internacine links to the relevant
      postings. So this is not as much fun as it used to be
      and has become equivalent to putting a gag on free speech.

      Anyone who now has a graphic and wants to communicate
      it to the rest of the group should (as a rule) at least include
      a link to that specific upload in "Yahoo Groups" so we
      don't have to hunt and peck to find it.

      Otherwise if you want to help Alex, you will have to email him
      directly. At least personal email still accepts graphic
      attachments!

      Reynard Wellman

    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        Dear Reynard, Nelson and Z_Scale forum members,

        When it comes to the settings of this group the someone that Reynard
        refers to who makes the changes is always the listowner, that is,
        me. The decision to "cripple" or more accurately "disallow" email
        attachments was announced to the list several times over the last
        month. In addition, there is an ongoing poll on the subject. See
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale/polls

        The removal of email attachments was clearly announced as an
        experiment. In order to test the impact of the experiment, I changed
        the settings to disallow said email attachments.

        Well, my friends, it seems that attachments DO contribute to making
        this list more enjoyable. It IS more complicated to go to the site,
        upload a file into the files directory, copy the link, paste it into
        the email response that one has probably composed in the wee hours of
        the morning and send the note onward.

        However, I do not think that it is really more complicated or time
        consuming to click on a direct link to the uploaded file or photo
        unless your computer does not have a web browser. This may be the
        case with many of our members.

        I personnaly voted to "allow" the email attachments. The main reason
        is to allow me to answer questions and to share small diagrams,
        graphics and photos with the membership using my HP Jornada 690
        handheld computer. It is not java enabled so I can not upload files
        to Z_Scale using it. One of the 2 limitations of the 690! Since I
        am often travelling for business, I can enjoy responding to you and
        otherwise make a nuisance of myself with long winded postings (such
        as this one)!

        Now, the poll is ongoing so I will continue to allow you to express
        your position on this issue. However, in the interest of "FUN" on
        the list, I have returned the group to allow email attachments.

        Please, Nelson, feel free to resend your email and diagram. I am
        looking forward to seeing your answers.

        On the subject of security, this list just happens to be one of the
        most well behaved and considerate groups on the internet.
        Congratulations to one and all! The upside of this characteristic is
        that I do not consider my computer to be at risk from graphics
        attached to emails. I hope that you agree and will reconsider your
        votes on this issue.

        You'll be receiving several emails from me with attachments during
        the week while I ponder the latest poll results.

        Best regards,
        Jeffrey MacHan