Re: [z_scale] Rail joiners...

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hi Edebrandt: The easiest way to get smooth joints is to use the Peco
      connectors between any two Peco sections. Preparation is necessary for each
      section. First you have to clean out the spike holes, I use a #74 drill. Then
      use a <> shaped file to put a lead on the rail flange edges, this makes it
      easier to get the connector started on the rails. How you equalize the amount
      of connector on each side of the joint depends on what tools you have. I use
      a bent nose and flat pliers for my track.I remove the first 2 ties by
      snipping ( Xuron cutter) or sawing ( fine tooth model saw) and save them to
      fill the gap after the joint is completed. The other end of the section will
      need more trimming to fit if you are creating a radius because, one rail will
      now be longer than the other. Again snip with Xuron (I prefer a cut-off
      wheel) and file leads on rail flange. You may also have to remove more ties.

      To connect Peco to Marklin is no problem if you use Marklin connectors.
      simply put the end of the connector with the cut out for tie clip on the
      Marklin rail just like the one already on. I f you have properly filed leads
      on the Peco flanges they will slide in nicely. I have both soldered and not
      soldered joints on my new layout and the unsoldered are much the smoothest
      but it is a matter of choice
      Hope this helps Nel
      Edebrant Gunnar wrote:

      > ...or not? I recently got a batch of Peco flextrack; now I'd like
      > to hear the lists experience on these. Do I use the rail joiners I
      > got to go with these or do I solder the pieces together? Also, any
      > best practice on modifying the ties to actually be able to use the
      > rail joiners? On last item, anyone had any experience in using both
      > Märkling sectional and Peco flextrack? How do I best connect these
      > two types of track?
      >
      > Cheers GeDe.

      > Guide IT Consulting Volvo Penta AB
      > gunnar.edebrant@... gunnar.edebrant@...
      > Guide: +46 (0)706 840142 Penta: +46 (0)31 667988
    • Nelson Snedeker
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
        Hi Edebrant: Here's a Picture of joining Peco to Marklin track. Top is the
        Peco track , a Marklin connector and a Marklin track. Center is those 3 items
        ready to assemble. Bottom is a completed Peco to Marklin joint. Extreme top
        are the tools I used.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
          I Am sorry group. I must have clicked on the wrong Pic Sorry!!!!

          Nelson Snedeker wrote:

          > Hi Edebrant: Here's a Picture of joining Peco to Marklin track. Top is the
          > Peco track , a Marklin connector and a Marklin track. Center is those 3 items
          > ready to assemble. Bottom is a completed Peco to Marklin joint. Extreme top
          > are the tools I used.
          >
          > Edebrant Gunnar wrote:
          >
          > > ...or not? I recently got a batch of Peco flextrack; now I'd like
          > > to hear the lists experience on these. Do I use the rail joiners I
          > > got to go with these or do I solder the pieces together? Also, any
          > > best practice on modifying the ties to actually be able to use the
          > > rail joiners? On last item, anyone had any experience in using both
          > > Märkling sectional and Peco flextrack? How do I best connect these
          > > two types of track?
          > >
          > > Cheers GeDe.

          > > Guide IT Consulting Volvo Penta AB
          > > gunnar.edebrant@... gunnar.edebrant@...
          > > Guide: +46 (0)706 840142 Penta: +46 (0)31 667988

          > [Image]
        • Curtis Campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
            Hey Everyone,

            I think Nelson's mistake picture is great example of orderly construction.
            That looks to be one great layout.

            Curtis Campbell
            ccampbell@...

            ===== Original Message from Nelson Snedeker <z_scale@yahoogroups.com> at