Re: MTL Caboose - was- Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Release today????

  • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
      You can find a two-part article on "Northeastern" cabooses on railroad.net.

      I do not think a good duplicate of the AC&F caboose could be made by scribing
      the MTL car, as details of the cupola and roof do not match. In 1943 the
      Reading built some "Northeast" cabooses with wooden siding as a wartime steel
      conservation measure, and you could come close to those with the scribed siding,
      though that is a job I would not take on lightly. Reading also built 8 for the
      Lehigh & Hudson River, and a few of the Reading cabooses were later sold to
      short lines.

      The New Haven cars would have to be scratch built. No details on them match
      the "Northeast" cabooses at all.

      As was pointed out, most railroads had distinctive caboose designs that were
      peculiar to that railroad only, as characteristic of the line as locomotives,
      passenger, freight, and MofW cars, stations, and other details of the physical
      plant. Even the details of the "Northeast" cabooses varied from railroad to
      railroad.

      In Z scale we are still hamstrung by the lack of variety that is taken for
      granted in N and HO, and to duplicate a prototype railroad in ever detail
      requires a lot of scratch building...very careful scratchbuilding.

      John C. La Rue, Jr.
      Bonita Springs, FL