Marklin 8993 Reverse Loop kit

  • alextrov@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hi all,

      I am really new in this fantastic world, with Z I finally realized
      the dream of when I was a child.

      I would like to know how the 8993 Marklin Kit works and if it solves
      the reverse loop problem.

      Any link on this issue?

      Thanks in advance,

      Alex
    • Nelson Snedeker
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
        Hi Alex:
        I have a new layout in progress and one of the first things I
        installed was a reverse loop because it will be under my second level tracks
        and a good place to store a train while running the rest of the layout. There
        is no problem I can see with it. The Loco runs into a slowdown area and then
        a Stop and sits there until you reverse polarity. You can make the separate
        areas as long as you decide they should be. The slowing stop is repeated when
        you reverse polarity by starting slow and reaching speed again determined by
        the the length of track you place between the #1, #2, and # 3 pieces. with
        long trains , this controlled stop and start minimizes cars being pulled or
        pushed off any curves they may be on.at the time.I have room for a train of
        36 cars on my loop The only other problem you may have is not the fault of
        the reverse loop. It is controlled by the last set of powered Loco wheels to
        pass over the #2 section so, If you have an A-B-A combo F7 it is necessary to
        connect the A units so the first one continues to have power until the last
        one is past the #2 diode If that is a problem for you I will be happy to send
        you any help you may need You're welcome Nel
        P.S. I use a manual switch and it is set for straight travel entering and
        the wheel flanges automatically open it against the spring coming out. That
        way you don't have to remember to throw the switch each time. I don't
        recommend that in ballasted areas though.

      • alextrov@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
          Thanks Nel,

          the problem is that I have understood only 50% your comments :-)))

          I don't know the concept and theory behind the 3 parts of the kit and
          their position (?)

          I am really a rookie here ;-)

          Thanks for your help,

          Alex