isolation

  • aquadave99
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      hi everyone

      i am new to z scale and have only recently started to build up my
      collection.

      recently i bought my second locomotive. i put it on my track in a
      passing loop section and set it to run but imagine my surprise when
      both my locos sped off!

      i am very confused now as i did not know that marklin points did not
      isolate sections of track.

      i looked into my problem and found out that sections of track must
      be isolated using isolating rail joiners. this has presented me with
      a problem that i do not know the answer to!

      how do i isolate sections of track yet still run them off one
      controller?

      this may be obvious to some but not me so please help me!!!

      thanks, matt
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hello Matt,

        > i put it on my track in a passing loop section and set it to run but
        > imagine my surprise when both my locos sped off!

        > i looked into my problem and found out that sections of track must
        > be isolated using isolating rail joiners. this has presented me with
        > a problem that i do not know the answer to!

        > how do i isolate sections of track yet still run them off one
        > controller?

        actually there are two ways to do this in your situation:

        1.) you can use the isolating rail joiners from Märklin 8954. This
        pack contents 10 isolation joiners and 20 normal joiners. The
        isolation joiners can also be cut to be used only on one rail of a
        track.

        If you use the isolation joiners on both rails (and on both ends of
        the passing loop) you need a second feeder track (or a track where you
        soldered the wires on. Between the controller and the second feeder
        you also need a switch to disconnect/connect the passing loop section.

        2.)

        or you use a 8855 track piece. Here one rail has a gap. On the same
        rail you have to isolate at the other end of the same rail of the
        passing loop (or use a second 8588). Then you connect a switch to the
        two connectors at the track piece (if using two 8588 only one switch
        is necessary), and now you can switch this track section on/off.

        This is the way with standard Maerklin parts. All this might be done
        with soldered wire to the rail, and other means of isolating track
        sections, like cutting gaps with a Dremel tool...

        Isolating parts of the track from the rest at different places will
        help you to run more engines from one controller. Or you can control
        a isolated track section from each one of two controllers, depending
        on the running of trains you do.

        In my folder at the photo section:

        Uwe Liermann - Livingroom (it shows my current work at a layout)

        you will find a layout plan. The third one "final layout" shows also
        the sections that are isolated from each other, partly completely and
        some only on one rail. The brown, purple and orange sections in the
        middle of the front I wire so that I can control them from both
        controllers that I will use. I also uploaded a wiring plan for this.
        The colors match the Maerklin wire colors.
        If you want I can send it to you privately complete with comments and
        translated... ;-) I've done it in Excel.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hello Matt,

          well, it's late over here, time to go to bed...

          > or you use a 8855 track piece.

          of course it should read 8588 track piece...

          > If you want I can send it to you privately complete with comments and
          > translated... ;-) I've done it in Excel.
          I would also include a layout plan so that you can see which section
          is what...

          I only will now go to bed, since it is 23:18 now, and I have to get up
          at 04:15 again...

          I will be back online at about 14:00 tomorrow German time (6 hours
          before the east coast, or 9 hours before the west coast)

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe