Re: [Z_Scale] Re: The San Diego club and Homosote

  • randy smidt
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      Bill,

      The BAZ group is most definitely not a "club". They actually made a conscious decision not to use that word because of the connotations which you covered pretty well. They are officially a "collective" (I guess that's a Left Coast thing ;-) .

      I am actually pretty surprised that some kind of group has not yet formed in southern California, especially after reading about a small group of you all getting together to visit a few shows in your area.

      I hope you all can get some kind of group together. Let us all know if there is any success.

      Randy Smidt
      Springfield, VA (my mom is from Riverside if that counts for anything - I used to love watching the SP and ATSF when visiting my grandparents as a kid. My Graddad even lived in Hemet)

      Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...> wrote:
      I was surprised that there were 21 Z_scale
      group members in Southern California. I have been trying to assemble
      some So Cal Z_scale members to form some kind of group like they have
      in the San Francisco area, The BAZ gang. I don't believe that they
      constitute a "club". They seem to be a gathering of friends with the
      same interest. That is, to promote Z scale.

    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
        Greetings!

        Yes, he's speaking (typing) about the model railroad museum in Balboa.
        They've loosely expressed interest in either a temp display, or even a
        more permanent, of Z scale. But Bill has had little luck in getting them
        to reply to him regarding details.

        As for the board, was it cellotex? The stuff they use for ceiling tiles?

        John

        --
        *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
        | John Duino | 23 Tidewater Cove |
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
          Hello, I'm in San Diego. My first Z set came in 1974. I'm (slowly) building a module. Don't
          want to be president, just play with my trains. Where are the other guys?

          Gary

          > > Bill Hoshiko <billhko@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi John,
          > >
          > > Hope that you and your family had a great Thanksgiving Day.
          > >
          > > I have two things for you today.
          > >
          > > 1. About that display layout for the San Diego Museum. A few days
          > > ago the guy from the SD club posted a message stating that he didn't
          > > think that there were any Z scale modelers within 70 miles of San
          > > Diego. I sent him a list of 21 Yahoo Z scale members who live south
          > > of Ventura down to the Mexican border. Those are only the ones who
          > > posted their location. Most of the people who join Yahoo groups
          > > don't like to admit where they live.
        • loren snyder
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@u...> wrote:

            > Hello, I'm in San Diego. My first Z set came in 1974. I'm (slowly)
            building a module. Don't
            > want to be president, just play with my trains. Where are the other
            guys?

            > Gary

            Gary,
            You said the magic word.......module!

            The Best coast needs a Z club in the Southern region of California and
            you sound just like the guy to start it.

            Then we'd have the entire West coast covered in Z clubs, all the way
            from San Diego clear up to Seattle. You may be the missing link? You
            don't have to be president, just be willing to help get a local group
            together.

            Loren from CZM in Portland and SOZ in Medford
          • socalz44
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
              Micheal, If you can get to Shelter Island the Central California RR is
              open for viewing. Check out the photos section. Which Wed. to Sat.?
              You didn't give a date. You can contact me out of the group via email
              or in. If it is this week, I'm at your service except Thurs. and Sat.
              mornings. Cheers, Jim CCRR