Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Release today????

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      MTL is very slow in getting their web site updated.......maybe they forgot
      to pay their electric bill?
      According to their new mailer, their new releases this month, besides the
      undecorated Geep 35 are:

      1. 40' log car with new log load
      2 UP 50' standard box car w/ double doors
      3 Soo Line 50' gondola w/ fishbelly sides
      4 Canadian Pacific caboose

      BTW, the undecorated is the same price as the PRR version.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
        went to Zscalemonster and couldn't find the info.

        posted elsewhere is this list of new releases, as randy has reported:
        (Z) Undec GP-35 Locomotive
        (Z) 40' Modern Log Load
        (Z) UP 50' Boxcar
        (Z) Soo Line Gondola
        (Z) CP Caboose

        below are N scale releases:
        CP 89' Tri-Level Autorack
        Kansas State Car
        ATSF Gondola w/ LOAD
        StLSW Bulkead Flat w/ LOAD
        UP 50' Boxcar
        Chessie/WM 50' Boxcar
        C&EI 40' Boxcar #5
        Libby's Foods 50' Boxcar
        TAG 50' Boxcar

        dave f.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:

        > Anthony has the list of what is supposed to come out posted at
        www.ZScaleMonster.com and a note saying no photos yet because MTL is
        having computer problems. Another log car, CP Caboose, Soo Gondola
        and UP 50' box (I am assuming with roofwalk. Would be a nice
        surprise if it was a new one though), plus more Christmas cars.

        > Randy Smidt
        >
        > Stephen Moore <katherinesdaddy@y...> wrote:
        > Website is not yet updated.
        > What are they coming out with today in Z????
        > We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?

        Service.

      • www.zscalemonster.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hello Everybody,

          The Z scale info is on my home page. Make sure you refresh your
          browser.
          MTL is having a computer issue and they are working on the problem.

          MTL and I thank you for your patience. Thank you to everyone who
          pointed to my site today. I am working hard to make it easy for you.

          Best wishes,
          Anthony
          http://www.zscalemonster.com/

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            Good news!!!
            I am uploading photos of the December Releases at this moment.

            Best wishes,
            Anthony
            http://www.zscalemonster.com/

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "www.zscalemonster.com"
            <anthony@n...> wrote:

            > Hello Everybody,
            >
            > The Z scale info is on my home page. Make sure you refresh your
            > browser.
            > MTL is having a computer issue and they are working on the
            problem.

            > MTL and I thank you for your patience. Thank you to everyone who
            > pointed to my site today. I am working hard to make it easy for
            you.

            > Best wishes,
            > Anthony
            > http://www.zscalemonster.com/
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pinekirk" <pinekirk@r...> wrote:
            > >
            > > went to Zscalemonster and couldn't find the info.
            > >
            > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Anthony has the list of what is supposed to come out posted at
            > > > www.ZScaleMonster.com and a note saying no photos yet because
            > > > MTL is having computer problems. Another log car, CP
            Caboose,
            > > > Soo Gondola and UP 50' box (I am assuming with roofwalk.
            Would
            > > > be a nice surprise if it was a new one though), plus more > >
            >
            > > > Christmas cars.
            > > >
            > > > Randy Smidt
            > > >
            > > > Stephen Moore <katherinesdaddy@y...> wrote:
            > > > Website is not yet updated.
            > > > What are they coming out with today in Z????
            > > > We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?

          • Garth Hamilton
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
              Joe I hope your listening.

              Z-scale we really need a good caboose similar to your n-scale
              offereing. The pennsy cabin is fine but not with Canadian Pacific on it.

              regards
              Garth
            • Elizabeth Hayes
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                another log car with supposedly different logs, a Canadian Pacific caboose
                for the F7, a white Soo Line gondola and a yellow UP 50 box car

                >From: "Stephen Moore" <katherinesdaddy@...>
                >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Z_Scale] MTL Release today????
                >Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:16:18 -0000
                >
                >Website is not yet updated.
                >What are they coming out with today in Z????
                >We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?

              • randy smidt
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Garth,

                  I may be wrong (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but the MTL caboose isn't even a PRR cabin. I believe it's an NE-5 or NE-6, which the PRR never used, though most of it's neighbors did (as well as the later PC). I think something like 14 railroads bought them new and many others used them second hand.

                  This was a good choice for MTL to produce since even only 14 railroads is a pretty high number for cabooses. Lot's of railroads built their own or at least had their own styles, so cabooses are hard to make accurate and still get a lot of roadnames out of.

                  Of course, Marklin's cabooses isn't accurate for more than one or two roads. It's really a Santa Fe caboose isn't it?

                  There are probably only about 4 or 5 standard caboose designs that were used by more than a handful of railroads. They have even less commonality than locomotives.

                  If you remember back when Joe did his poll for MTL, he did ask if we wanted cabooses. I'm not sure what the results were.

                  Randy Smidt

                • dpstripe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Randy,
                    You are correct, the MTL caboose is a standard "Northeastern" caboose. The
                    PRR based their Cabin cars on it (at least their N4 and N5(a,b,c...) series).
                    The only real difference is the number and placement of windows on the A and B
                    series, by the C series they used round portals. The NYC also didn't use
                    Northeasterns, the Marklin NYC caboose is really pretty close.
                    Dan S.

                  • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                      It is true that the MTL caboose is a standard "Northeastern" caboose (a term
                      not used by any of the railroads that operated it), but the PRR N4 and N5
                      classes beat it into service by a good ten years.

                      The "Northeastern" caboose was designed by the Reading and owed most of its
                      genesis to the AC&F wooden body steel underframe caboose of 1920, which was
                      originally designed by the USRA . However, the PRR caboose was considered by the
                      Reading, along with other caboose designs, when planning their caboose.

                      NE-5 and NE-6 were New Haven cabooses built much later (1940 for the NE-5;
                      1947 for the NE-6), and they bore little resemblence to the "Northeastern"
                      caboose.

                      While the NYC did not use Northeastern" cabooses, they did have several USRA
                      cabooses acquired from the Ulster & Delaware. They were numbered in the 20090
                      series.

                      John C. La Rue, Jr.
                      Bonita Springs, FL

                    • randy smidt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                        John,

                        Thanks for the details. I knew I was on the right track but didn't have the details quite right. I have a great article somewhere on the Northeastern cabooses with photos of almost every paint scheme they wore, but couldn't find it just now.

                        I am curious if they are close enough to the wooden AC&F and the USRA cabooses to be modified to more closely resmble those prototypes. Scribing all those lines for the wood wouldn't be fun, but might be possible. This also would relate to the early 20th century question as well.

                        How much difference is there between the Northeastern cabooses and the NE-5's & 6's? Would it just be a matter of chaging windows and the cupola?

                        Now if only Marklin would make the PRR cabin and UP caboose they did in HO in Z scale as well.

                        Have to start looking for drawings now.

                        Thanks,
                        Randy Smidt

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                          You can find a two-part article on "Northeastern" cabooses on railroad.net.

                          I do not think a good duplicate of the AC&F caboose could be made by scribing
                          the MTL car, as details of the cupola and roof do not match. In 1943 the
                          Reading built some "Northeast" cabooses with wooden siding as a wartime steel
                          conservation measure, and you could come close to those with the scribed siding,
                          though that is a job I would not take on lightly. Reading also built 8 for the
                          Lehigh & Hudson River, and a few of the Reading cabooses were later sold to
                          short lines.

                          The New Haven cars would have to be scratch built. No details on them match
                          the "Northeast" cabooses at all.

                          As was pointed out, most railroads had distinctive caboose designs that were
                          peculiar to that railroad only, as characteristic of the line as locomotives,
                          passenger, freight, and MofW cars, stations, and other details of the physical
                          plant. Even the details of the "Northeast" cabooses varied from railroad to
                          railroad.

                          In Z scale we are still hamstrung by the lack of variety that is taken for
                          granted in N and HO, and to duplicate a prototype railroad in ever detail
                          requires a lot of scratch building...very careful scratchbuilding.

                          John C. La Rue, Jr.
                          Bonita Springs, FL