Re: [Z_Scale] MTL Release today????

  • randy smidt
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      Anthony has the list of what is supposed to come out posted at www.ZScaleMonster.com and a note saying no photos yet because MTL is having computer problems. Another log car, CP Caboose, Soo Gondola and UP 50' box (I am assuming with roofwalk. Would be a nice surprise if it was a new one though), plus more Christmas cars.

      Randy Smidt

      Stephen Moore <katherinesdaddy@...> wrote:
      Website is not yet updated.
      What are they coming out with today in Z????
      We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?

    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
        MTL is very slow in getting their web site updated.......maybe they forgot
        to pay their electric bill?
        According to their new mailer, their new releases this month, besides the
        undecorated Geep 35 are:

        1. 40' log car with new log load
        2 UP 50' standard box car w/ double doors
        3 Soo Line 50' gondola w/ fishbelly sides
        4 Canadian Pacific caboose

        BTW, the undecorated is the same price as the PRR version.

        > What are they coming out with today in Z????
        > We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?
      • pinekirk
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          went to Zscalemonster and couldn't find the info.

          posted elsewhere is this list of new releases, as randy has reported:
          (Z) Undec GP-35 Locomotive
          (Z) 40' Modern Log Load
          (Z) UP 50' Boxcar
          (Z) Soo Line Gondola
          (Z) CP Caboose

          below are N scale releases:
          CP 89' Tri-Level Autorack
          Kansas State Car
          ATSF Gondola w/ LOAD
          StLSW Bulkead Flat w/ LOAD
          UP 50' Boxcar
          Chessie/WM 50' Boxcar
          C&EI 40' Boxcar #5
          Libby's Foods 50' Boxcar
          TAG 50' Boxcar

          dave f.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:

          > Anthony has the list of what is supposed to come out posted at
          www.ZScaleMonster.com and a note saying no photos yet because MTL is
          having computer problems. Another log car, CP Caboose, Soo Gondola
          and UP 50' box (I am assuming with roofwalk. Would be a nice
          surprise if it was a new one though), plus more Christmas cars.

          > Randy Smidt
          >
          > Stephen Moore <katherinesdaddy@y...> wrote:
          > Website is not yet updated.
          > What are they coming out with today in Z????
          > We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?

          Service.

        • www.zscalemonster.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            Hello Everybody,

            The Z scale info is on my home page. Make sure you refresh your
            browser.
            MTL is having a computer issue and they are working on the problem.

            MTL and I thank you for your patience. Thank you to everyone who
            pointed to my site today. I am working hard to make it easy for you.

            Best wishes,
            Anthony
            http://www.zscalemonster.com/

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
              Good news!!!
              I am uploading photos of the December Releases at this moment.

              Best wishes,
              Anthony
              http://www.zscalemonster.com/

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "www.zscalemonster.com"
              <anthony@n...> wrote:

              > Hello Everybody,
              >
              > The Z scale info is on my home page. Make sure you refresh your
              > browser.
              > MTL is having a computer issue and they are working on the
              problem.

              > MTL and I thank you for your patience. Thank you to everyone who
              > pointed to my site today. I am working hard to make it easy for
              you.

              > Best wishes,
              > Anthony
              > http://www.zscalemonster.com/
              >

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "pinekirk" <pinekirk@r...> wrote:
              > >
              > > went to Zscalemonster and couldn't find the info.
              > >
              > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Anthony has the list of what is supposed to come out posted at
              > > > www.ZScaleMonster.com and a note saying no photos yet because
              > > > MTL is having computer problems. Another log car, CP
              Caboose,
              > > > Soo Gondola and UP 50' box (I am assuming with roofwalk.
              Would
              > > > be a nice surprise if it was a new one though), plus more > >
              >
              > > > Christmas cars.
              > > >
              > > > Randy Smidt
              > > >
              > > > Stephen Moore <katherinesdaddy@y...> wrote:
              > > > Website is not yet updated.
              > > > What are they coming out with today in Z????
              > > > We all know about the gp35, but what about the other stuff?

            • Garth Hamilton
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                Joe I hope your listening.

                Z-scale we really need a good caboose similar to your n-scale
                offereing. The pennsy cabin is fine but not with Canadian Pacific on it.

                regards
                Garth
              • Elizabeth Hayes
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                  another log car with supposedly different logs, a Canadian Pacific caboose
                  for the F7, a white Soo Line gondola and a yellow UP 50 box car

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Garth,

                    I may be wrong (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but the MTL caboose isn't even a PRR cabin. I believe it's an NE-5 or NE-6, which the PRR never used, though most of it's neighbors did (as well as the later PC). I think something like 14 railroads bought them new and many others used them second hand.

                    This was a good choice for MTL to produce since even only 14 railroads is a pretty high number for cabooses. Lot's of railroads built their own or at least had their own styles, so cabooses are hard to make accurate and still get a lot of roadnames out of.

                    Of course, Marklin's cabooses isn't accurate for more than one or two roads. It's really a Santa Fe caboose isn't it?

                    There are probably only about 4 or 5 standard caboose designs that were used by more than a handful of railroads. They have even less commonality than locomotives.

                    If you remember back when Joe did his poll for MTL, he did ask if we wanted cabooses. I'm not sure what the results were.

                    Randy Smidt

                  • dpstripe@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                      Randy,
                      You are correct, the MTL caboose is a standard "Northeastern" caboose. The
                      PRR based their Cabin cars on it (at least their N4 and N5(a,b,c...) series).
                      The only real difference is the number and placement of windows on the A and B
                      series, by the C series they used round portals. The NYC also didn't use
                      Northeasterns, the Marklin NYC caboose is really pretty close.
                      Dan S.

                    • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                        It is true that the MTL caboose is a standard "Northeastern" caboose (a term
                        not used by any of the railroads that operated it), but the PRR N4 and N5
                        classes beat it into service by a good ten years.

                        The "Northeastern" caboose was designed by the Reading and owed most of its
                        genesis to the AC&F wooden body steel underframe caboose of 1920, which was
                        originally designed by the USRA . However, the PRR caboose was considered by the
                        Reading, along with other caboose designs, when planning their caboose.

                        NE-5 and NE-6 were New Haven cabooses built much later (1940 for the NE-5;
                        1947 for the NE-6), and they bore little resemblence to the "Northeastern"
                        caboose.

                        While the NYC did not use Northeastern" cabooses, they did have several USRA
                        cabooses acquired from the Ulster & Delaware. They were numbered in the 20090
                        series.

                        John C. La Rue, Jr.
                        Bonita Springs, FL

                      • randy smidt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                          John,

                          Thanks for the details. I knew I was on the right track but didn't have the details quite right. I have a great article somewhere on the Northeastern cabooses with photos of almost every paint scheme they wore, but couldn't find it just now.

                          I am curious if they are close enough to the wooden AC&F and the USRA cabooses to be modified to more closely resmble those prototypes. Scribing all those lines for the wood wouldn't be fun, but might be possible. This also would relate to the early 20th century question as well.

                          How much difference is there between the Northeastern cabooses and the NE-5's & 6's? Would it just be a matter of chaging windows and the cupola?

                          Now if only Marklin would make the PRR cabin and UP caboose they did in HO in Z scale as well.

                          Have to start looking for drawings now.

                          Thanks,
                          Randy Smidt

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 3, 2005
                            You can find a two-part article on "Northeastern" cabooses on railroad.net.

                            I do not think a good duplicate of the AC&F caboose could be made by scribing
                            the MTL car, as details of the cupola and roof do not match. In 1943 the
                            Reading built some "Northeast" cabooses with wooden siding as a wartime steel
                            conservation measure, and you could come close to those with the scribed siding,
                            though that is a job I would not take on lightly. Reading also built 8 for the
                            Lehigh & Hudson River, and a few of the Reading cabooses were later sold to
                            short lines.

                            The New Haven cars would have to be scratch built. No details on them match
                            the "Northeast" cabooses at all.

                            As was pointed out, most railroads had distinctive caboose designs that were
                            peculiar to that railroad only, as characteristic of the line as locomotives,
                            passenger, freight, and MofW cars, stations, and other details of the physical
                            plant. Even the details of the "Northeast" cabooses varied from railroad to
                            railroad.

                            In Z scale we are still hamstrung by the lack of variety that is taken for
                            granted in N and HO, and to duplicate a prototype railroad in ever detail
                            requires a lot of scratch building...very careful scratchbuilding.

                            John C. La Rue, Jr.
                            Bonita Springs, FL