Re: What is your favorite diesel locomotive and why?

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
      My favorite is the GE U-25-C, a distinctive locomotive developed in the
      early 60's, and favored by the Northern Pacific for heavy freight
      operations. Next is the SD-45, another nice heavy hauler that the NP
      was just getting into before the merger.

      -Robert
    • de Champeaux
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
        (sorry guys, I won't be very active on the group within the next 2 or
        3 months due to a new type rating in progress - the 747-400 - I've
        even no time for modelrailroading)

        My absolute prefered? For the diesels, still unable to choose between
        the Dash 9-44 CW/AC44-9W or the SD40-2, both have a terrific look and
        a wonderful growl.....For the steams, my choice is somewhere between
        Santa Fe's Class 3800/3900, Big Boys, N&W Y6bs and AC 12 Cab Fwds,
        depending on the day. For electrics (even though I'm not fond of
        them), I've a love affair with Little-Joes.

        But although I'm an european, I don't feel any interrest in bullet
        trains / electric (passenger) powered trains, so my prefered locos are
        on the west hand side of the Pond (see above).

        Dominique
      • Deane Shepard
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
          The red warbonnet F7's are nice and definitely the best for running
          but I also really like the red Santa Fe Dash 9.

          Deane S.