Re: Masonite

  • rgminutillo
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      Homasote: it warps easily, is highly absorbent of paints, glues, etc,
      does not cut or drill cleanly. It's heavy. I've used it for a 'trial'
      layout and even for that, I could have made a better choice.

      RGM

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole
      <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:

      > Thank you, that's the word. I couldn't remember what it was called.
      I was thinking of using it instead of that blue or pink board that is
      often talked about around here.
      > Rob
      >
      > Adam Amick <aa5821@s...> wrote:
      > Robert,
      >
      > Is that 1/2" homasote that you're referring to?
      >
      > Adam
      >

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole
      > <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bill,
      > > Is the SD RR club in Balboa Park?
      > >
      > > I came accross a material at Lowes here in Hemet that is a
      > cardboard material that is 1/2" thick. They call it ":white building
      > board" or "sound deading board".

      > Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model
      train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
        Robert Toole <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        > Is the SD RR club in Balboa Park?

        Hi Robert,

        Yes. check out: http://www.sdmrrc.org/main.html

        I did include your name in my list of Southern California members in
        Z_scale Yahoo groups. I was surprised that there were 21 Z_scale
        group members in Southern California. I have been trying to assemble
        some So Cal Z_scale members to form some kind of group like they have
        in the San Francisco area, The BAZ gang. I don't believe that they
        constitute a "club". They seem to be a gathering of friends with the
        same interest. That is, to promote Z scale.

        You have read about my abhorrence of clubs but I have tried to
        assemble some names for a group in So Calif similar to the BAZ
        group. A group who would combine their efforts to display Z in some
        of our local shows. In the last three or four years I got 5 names.
        The first 4 were obtained in the first month. Yours' came later.

        I am retired and I do not have the ability to host my own Z scale
        display. I don't have the space to even build my own Z modules in my
        garage but I would like to promote Z in Southern California. My
        exposure to clubs has not been that extensive. About 5 or 6
        different clubs in 45 years. I enjoy the club atmosphere but I
        cannot cope with all the energy and money that is side-tracked from
        the clubs goals. That is: spending club funds for a train mounted TV
        system even before the mainline is completed. Or, like in 1979,
        giving thousands to one club member so that he can practice building
        a computer for operating an unfinished layout. If he should quit the
        club, what happens to the computer?

        In 1979 no one knew computers. They came as a kit with no
        programming. The time spent arguing this point kept me away from the
        club for almost a year. The club was only a mile from home. All
        other clubs required lots of freeway miles to attend.

        These clubs had a space for a club sized layout and required club
        dues for the rent and the purchasing of supplies to build the
        layout. With today's Z modules we no longer need a permanent space
        for a layout.

        It would be nice to have a gathering spot for building modules and
        share ideas but at the end of the day, each member would take his own
        work back home. In that way no one is particularly inconvenienced.
        No club dues, no officers, no politics. Your money is invested in
        your module to be spent in the manner that you want but at the same
        time advice and support and ideas will be available from everyone
        else. You don't know how to paint, someone will help you. You want
        DCC, someone will know how. You want scenery, we will build the
        Matterhorn for you. You can't attend but once a month, fine. You
        want to quit, just stop coming. You want to join, just show up.

        But we need some kind of nucleus. Two months ago my arthritis
        knocked me out for almost a month. It was a problem to get out of
        bed. I never know when it will come back. Today it is an old back
        injury. One that I had since I was 26. I don't really want to be
        the organizer. Will someone step up?

        Anyone can get a list of the Southern California members of Z_scale
        groups. Just go to the members list and scroll through all of the
        names and write down all those who list that they live in this area.
        A no brainer. The problem is that all of them do not include an
        email address.

        To change the subject, homosote is used as a roadbed material for
        model trains. It is much too heavy and soft for use as a model RR
        platform. Its' manufacturing process is similar to making paper.
        Soaked shredded stuff is floated onto a screen, drained and dried.
        Its' surface is not smooth nor flat. It is popular as a basis for
        laying track because it takes spikes easily and it is thought to be a
        sound deadner.

        Also, it is a very messy stuff. If you cut it with a saw, do so
        outdoors. If you do it in your garage, your mice and rats will be
        delighted at all the new nesting materials that you have provided for
        them.

        I will try Luan ply for my roadbed. Cheap, stable, easy to cut, and
        available. Thanks for all the help.

        'Nuff said,

        Bill H.
        El Toro, CA
      • randy smidt
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
          Bill,

          The BAZ group is most definitely not a "club". They actually made a conscious decision not to use that word because of the connotations which you covered pretty well. They are officially a "collective" (I guess that's a Left Coast thing ;-) .

          I am actually pretty surprised that some kind of group has not yet formed in southern California, especially after reading about a small group of you all getting together to visit a few shows in your area.

          I hope you all can get some kind of group together. Let us all know if there is any success.

          Randy Smidt
          Springfield, VA (my mom is from Riverside if that counts for anything - I used to love watching the SP and ATSF when visiting my grandparents as a kid. My Graddad even lived in Hemet)

          Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...> wrote:
          I was surprised that there were 21 Z_scale
          group members in Southern California. I have been trying to assemble
          some So Cal Z_scale members to form some kind of group like they have
          in the San Francisco area, The BAZ gang. I don't believe that they
          constitute a "club". They seem to be a gathering of friends with the
          same interest. That is, to promote Z scale.

        • John Duino
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
            Greetings!

            Yes, he's speaking (typing) about the model railroad museum in Balboa.
            They've loosely expressed interest in either a temp display, or even a
            more permanent, of Z scale. But Bill has had little luck in getting them
            to reply to him regarding details.

            As for the board, was it cellotex? The stuff they use for ceiling tiles?

            John

            --
            *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
            | John Duino | 23 Tidewater Cove |
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
              Hello, I'm in San Diego. My first Z set came in 1974. I'm (slowly) building a module. Don't
              want to be president, just play with my trains. Where are the other guys?

              Gary

              > > Bill Hoshiko <billhko@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi John,
              > >
              > > Hope that you and your family had a great Thanksgiving Day.
              > >
              > > I have two things for you today.
              > >
              > > 1. About that display layout for the San Diego Museum. A few days
              > > ago the guy from the SD club posted a message stating that he didn't
              > > think that there were any Z scale modelers within 70 miles of San
              > > Diego. I sent him a list of 21 Yahoo Z scale members who live south
              > > of Ventura down to the Mexican border. Those are only the ones who
              > > posted their location. Most of the people who join Yahoo groups
              > > don't like to admit where they live.
            • loren snyder
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@u...> wrote:

                > Hello, I'm in San Diego. My first Z set came in 1974. I'm (slowly)
                building a module. Don't
                > want to be president, just play with my trains. Where are the other
                guys?

                > Gary

                Gary,
                You said the magic word.......module!

                The Best coast needs a Z club in the Southern region of California and
                you sound just like the guy to start it.

                Then we'd have the entire West coast covered in Z clubs, all the way
                from San Diego clear up to Seattle. You may be the missing link? You
                don't have to be president, just be willing to help get a local group
                together.

                Loren from CZM in Portland and SOZ in Medford
              • socalz44
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7 6:46 PM
                  Micheal, If you can get to Shelter Island the Central California RR is
                  open for viewing. Check out the photos section. Which Wed. to Sat.?
                  You didn't give a date. You can contact me out of the group via email
                  or in. If it is this week, I'm at your service except Thurs. and Sat.
                  mornings. Cheers, Jim CCRR