Re: [Z_Scale] Masonite

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hi Bill!

      Yes, thanks, we did. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well! (We
      actually spent it camping down near San Diego!)

      1) I saw the post and figured you would contact him yet again. Hopefully
      he (or somebody associated with the museum/project) will get moving on
      this.

      I understand and agree with your sentiments on NMRA, but for me it applies
      to most 'organizations' (with this forum being one of the notable
      exceptions). I always grow tired of the cliques and arrogant "I know
      everything and you're pond scum" attitudes. When I was younger I always
      thought it was because I was a "kid" competing in adult activities, but I
      still see it now as a so-called adult ;-) And to paraphrase Douglas Adams
      (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galazy), 'No man who desires to be president is
      fit for the job.'

      > 2. About the masonite that you use.
      >
      > Where do you buy it? Home Depot?
      Most of my masonite use hasn't been for modeling but for other projects,
      but yes, Home Depot or Lowes or Ganahl are my typical suppliers.

      > What thickness?

      1/8" I believe is the typical.

      > What do you use to cut it.? How about a jig saw?

      Table saw, jig saw, scroll saw, and coping saws normally (my grandfather
      was in construction...old school before most power tools...so I grew up
      learning how to use all those wonderful hand-tools. I own and can use more
      types of hand saws than most people have heard of :)

      The problem with masonite is that it will 'flake' really easily so you
      have to use as fine a tooth as you can get. Sharper the better, too (never
      'go cheap' on blades). Also, the trick of laying tape on BOTH sides at the
      cut helps as well.

      I also tend to buy the pre-finished/pre-painted (typically for
      white-boards) variety since the paint is nice looking and thick so it
      seals against moisture better, but you have to want white cuz that's all
      you'll get. It's also slick so it may be tricky to get ballast to stick.
      Perhaps a quick hit with sandpaper will give enough texture to grip to
      without exposing the core.

      Masonite for track bed I would worry about. Since it's a "compressed"
      wood, it naturally wants to "decompress". Heat and moisture are the enemy.
      I haven't done any studies or research on it's stability, but anecdotal
      experience would make me worry. If I were to use it I'd nail it down
      regularly to keep expansion/twisting to a minimum.

      Since I haven't done much spline work (which is what I assume you're
      doing) I haven't experimented a lot, but I think I'd lean toward some of
      the ply's that are available. Yes, they are pricier (not that masonite is
      cheap), but I think their stability properties would be better and
      stronger overall. Fortunately, even for a large Z layout we can survive on
      smaller sheets. Try some woodworking shops (Rockler and Cutter are two
      that come to mind). They stock a variety of plys in smaller sheets. They
      are typically for furniture so the grain is finer, also (nicer looking,
      IMHO).

      Well..back to work...is it friday yet?

      John
    • Tom Fisher
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 29, 2005
        Bill,

        Please tell us what you really think of the NMRA, etc.
        HA!

        As much as I like corrugated cardboard (made chairs of
        it when I was in college and have seen great lounge
        chairs and dining tables out of the stuff), it has its
        limitations which can be quite severe.

        You named a biggie: water. And, as you noted, the same
        applies to Masonite. That can be remedied, but that
        has issues also.

        I saw 1/8" Masonite last week when I was at Home Depot
        looking for thin (1/8" or thinner) high quality
        plywood, which I did not see.

        Why not use 1/8"-1/4" ply, wafer board, or oriented
        strand board and cover it with formica if you can't
        get exterior grade or you're still concerned about
        water? You could cover the ply/board/formica with
        blue/pink foam for sound reduction and a more
        forgiving surface (mounting trees, buildings, track,
        etc.).

        Besides water, my biggest complaints about Masonite
        are weight and brittleness. A blow that won't do more
        than scar the surface of ply can crack Masonite or CB
        for that matter.

        Right now, I'm using a piece of MDF for a temporary
        oval. It works fine for the purpose. I wouldn't use it
        for a more permanent and sceniced layout.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Cliff Travis
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
          Hi,
          Tempered Masonite 1/8" is very hard,Finished on both sides and in my
          experience pretty closeto waterproof. It doesn't warp and is VERY stiff.
          It can be cut easily with all powered tools. Fine tooth circuler saws
          work fine as do Jig saws and router bits It is hard on edges so
          carbide is recommended.

          One problem is that Masonite isn't made anymore under the name of
          Masonite so you may have to describe what you want in places like Home
          Depot.

          Art supply stores carry tempered panels foe pictire backing but they
          charge a premium panels are small

          MAsonite products arestill being made nad you can get the # of the
          distributor from the masonite help line on Google.

          Untemperd Masonite is generally finished on only one side, Warps easily
          is in not water resistant.

          Cliff
        • Robert Toole
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
            Bill,
            Is the SD RR club in Balboa Park?

            I came accross a material at Lowes here in Hemet that is a cardboard material that is 1/2" thick. They call it ":white building board" or "sound deading board". My father used this material in the 50's for my Lionel trains. He painted it green, them used 1 x 2s around the outside and supported it with maybe 2 x 4s. I really don't remember, but it was 2 4x4 pieces and we laid them on saw horses for the Christmas Layout. It lasted for over 25 years. Hope you included my name on the list to the RR club.
            Have a great week.
            Later.
            Robert

            ---------------------------------

          • Adam Amick
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
              Robert,

              Is that 1/2" homasote that you're referring to?

              Adam

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
                Thank you, that's the word. I couldn't remember what it was called. I was thinking of using it instead of that blue or pink board that is often talked about around here.
                Rob

                Adam Amick <aa5821@...> wrote:
                Robert,

                Is that 1/2" homasote that you're referring to?

                Adam

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole
                <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                > Is the SD RR club in Balboa Park?
                >
                > I came accross a material at Lowes here in Hemet that is a
                cardboard material that is 1/2" thick. They call it ":white building
                board" or "sound deading board".

                Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

                ---------------------------------

              • rgminutillo
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Homasote: it warps easily, is highly absorbent of paints, glues, etc,
                  does not cut or drill cleanly. It's heavy. I've used it for a 'trial'
                  layout and even for that, I could have made a better choice.

                  RGM

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole
                  <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:

                  > Thank you, that's the word. I couldn't remember what it was called.
                  I was thinking of using it instead of that blue or pink board that is
                  often talked about around here.
                  > Rob
                  >
                  > Adam Amick <aa5821@s...> wrote:
                  > Robert,
                  >
                  > Is that 1/2" homasote that you're referring to?
                  >
                  > Adam
                  >

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Robert Toole
                  > <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bill,
                  > > Is the SD RR club in Balboa Park?
                  > >
                  > > I came accross a material at Lowes here in Hemet that is a
                  > cardboard material that is 1/2" thick. They call it ":white building
                  > board" or "sound deading board".

                  > Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model
                  train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------

                • Bill Hoshiko
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Robert Toole <airforce_loadmaster@y...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    > Is the SD RR club in Balboa Park?

                    Hi Robert,

                    Yes. check out: http://www.sdmrrc.org/main.html

                    I did include your name in my list of Southern California members in
                    Z_scale Yahoo groups. I was surprised that there were 21 Z_scale
                    group members in Southern California. I have been trying to assemble
                    some So Cal Z_scale members to form some kind of group like they have
                    in the San Francisco area, The BAZ gang. I don't believe that they
                    constitute a "club". They seem to be a gathering of friends with the
                    same interest. That is, to promote Z scale.

                    You have read about my abhorrence of clubs but I have tried to
                    assemble some names for a group in So Calif similar to the BAZ
                    group. A group who would combine their efforts to display Z in some
                    of our local shows. In the last three or four years I got 5 names.
                    The first 4 were obtained in the first month. Yours' came later.

                    I am retired and I do not have the ability to host my own Z scale
                    display. I don't have the space to even build my own Z modules in my
                    garage but I would like to promote Z in Southern California. My
                    exposure to clubs has not been that extensive. About 5 or 6
                    different clubs in 45 years. I enjoy the club atmosphere but I
                    cannot cope with all the energy and money that is side-tracked from
                    the clubs goals. That is: spending club funds for a train mounted TV
                    system even before the mainline is completed. Or, like in 1979,
                    giving thousands to one club member so that he can practice building
                    a computer for operating an unfinished layout. If he should quit the
                    club, what happens to the computer?

                    In 1979 no one knew computers. They came as a kit with no
                    programming. The time spent arguing this point kept me away from the
                    club for almost a year. The club was only a mile from home. All
                    other clubs required lots of freeway miles to attend.

                    These clubs had a space for a club sized layout and required club
                    dues for the rent and the purchasing of supplies to build the
                    layout. With today's Z modules we no longer need a permanent space
                    for a layout.

                    It would be nice to have a gathering spot for building modules and
                    share ideas but at the end of the day, each member would take his own
                    work back home. In that way no one is particularly inconvenienced.
                    No club dues, no officers, no politics. Your money is invested in
                    your module to be spent in the manner that you want but at the same
                    time advice and support and ideas will be available from everyone
                    else. You don't know how to paint, someone will help you. You want
                    DCC, someone will know how. You want scenery, we will build the
                    Matterhorn for you. You can't attend but once a month, fine. You
                    want to quit, just stop coming. You want to join, just show up.

                    But we need some kind of nucleus. Two months ago my arthritis
                    knocked me out for almost a month. It was a problem to get out of
                    bed. I never know when it will come back. Today it is an old back
                    injury. One that I had since I was 26. I don't really want to be
                    the organizer. Will someone step up?

                    Anyone can get a list of the Southern California members of Z_scale
                    groups. Just go to the members list and scroll through all of the
                    names and write down all those who list that they live in this area.
                    A no brainer. The problem is that all of them do not include an
                    email address.

                    To change the subject, homosote is used as a roadbed material for
                    model trains. It is much too heavy and soft for use as a model RR
                    platform. Its' manufacturing process is similar to making paper.
                    Soaked shredded stuff is floated onto a screen, drained and dried.
                    Its' surface is not smooth nor flat. It is popular as a basis for
                    laying track because it takes spikes easily and it is thought to be a
                    sound deadner.

                    Also, it is a very messy stuff. If you cut it with a saw, do so
                    outdoors. If you do it in your garage, your mice and rats will be
                    delighted at all the new nesting materials that you have provided for
                    them.

                    I will try Luan ply for my roadbed. Cheap, stable, easy to cut, and
                    available. Thanks for all the help.

                    'Nuff said,

                    Bill H.
                    El Toro, CA
                  • randy smidt
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                      Bill,

                      The BAZ group is most definitely not a "club". They actually made a conscious decision not to use that word because of the connotations which you covered pretty well. They are officially a "collective" (I guess that's a Left Coast thing ;-) .

                      I am actually pretty surprised that some kind of group has not yet formed in southern California, especially after reading about a small group of you all getting together to visit a few shows in your area.

                      I hope you all can get some kind of group together. Let us all know if there is any success.

                      Randy Smidt
                      Springfield, VA (my mom is from Riverside if that counts for anything - I used to love watching the SP and ATSF when visiting my grandparents as a kid. My Graddad even lived in Hemet)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2005
                        Greetings!

                        Yes, he's speaking (typing) about the model railroad museum in Balboa.
                        They've loosely expressed interest in either a temp display, or even a
                        more permanent, of Z scale. But Bill has had little luck in getting them
                        to reply to him regarding details.

                        As for the board, was it cellotex? The stuff they use for ceiling tiles?

                        John

                        --
                        *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
                        | John Duino | 23 Tidewater Cove |
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                          Hello, I'm in San Diego. My first Z set came in 1974. I'm (slowly) building a module. Don't
                          want to be president, just play with my trains. Where are the other guys?

                          Gary

                          > > Bill Hoshiko <billhko@y...> wrote:
                          > > Hi John,
                          > >
                          > > Hope that you and your family had a great Thanksgiving Day.
                          > >
                          > > I have two things for you today.
                          > >
                          > > 1. About that display layout for the San Diego Museum. A few days
                          > > ago the guy from the SD club posted a message stating that he didn't
                          > > think that there were any Z scale modelers within 70 miles of San
                          > > Diego. I sent him a list of 21 Yahoo Z scale members who live south
                          > > of Ventura down to the Mexican border. Those are only the ones who
                          > > posted their location. Most of the people who join Yahoo groups
                          > > don't like to admit where they live.
                        • loren snyder
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@u...> wrote:

                            > Hello, I'm in San Diego. My first Z set came in 1974. I'm (slowly)
                            building a module. Don't
                            > want to be president, just play with my trains. Where are the other
                            guys?

                            > Gary

                            Gary,
                            You said the magic word.......module!

                            The Best coast needs a Z club in the Southern region of California and
                            you sound just like the guy to start it.

                            Then we'd have the entire West coast covered in Z clubs, all the way
                            from San Diego clear up to Seattle. You may be the missing link? You
                            don't have to be president, just be willing to help get a local group
                            together.

                            Loren from CZM in Portland and SOZ in Medford
                          • socalz44
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
                              Micheal, If you can get to Shelter Island the Central California RR is
                              open for viewing. Check out the photos section. Which Wed. to Sat.?
                              You didn't give a date. You can contact me out of the group via email
                              or in. If it is this week, I'm at your service except Thurs. and Sat.
                              mornings. Cheers, Jim CCRR