Member introduction

  • Howard Koch
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      This is a great group- the best list on the net!

      My name is Howard Koch. I am an Accountant living in Toronto, Ontario
      Canada. I am new to model RR and know very little about it. But I have
      had the bug in me since I was a kid, when my father had a Lionel
      train set he ran on the living room floor.

      I was thinking of getting into N scale, as I had heard very little
      about Z scale (space is limited in my apt). Then I went to the Toronto
      Model RR Show and met Jeffrey MacHan and his outstanding Val Ease
      Central - (I had never seen any thing like it)!! He told me about this
      group and Z scale. That was a real eye opener for me. I have become
      fascinated with z scale, even though I am very wet behind the ears in
      regard to all model RR.

      I am now in the planning and studying phase before a start on my first
      layout. I will have to wait a little longer as I am short of money
      just now (between jobs). Just planning and dreaming is fine for now.

      If anyone wants to get in touch with me at my e-mail address below,
      feel free to do so at any time.

      I would also like to thank Jeffrey for promoting Z scale and for this
      group.

      Regards,

      Howard Koch E-mail: greenforest100@...
      Toronto, Ont.
      Canada
    • grumpy@gbpackers.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
        What is this!!! An accountant willing to SPEND money, and on something as
        frivilious as little trains!!!
        What is the world coming to ... please don't get let this disease spread to
        Australia .. there are many disastrous implications here ...

        Welcome aboard Howard.

        (For those with little English, please place tongue firmly in cheek when
        reading the above)

        Tom
        Oz

        On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:09:30 -0000 (GMT), "Howard Koch"
        <greenforest100@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >

        > This is a great group- the best list on the net!
        >
        > My name is Howard Koch. I am an Accountant living in Toronto, Ontario
        > Canada. I am new to model RR and know very little about it. But I have
        > had the bug in me since I was a kid, when my father had a Lionel
        > train set he ran on the living room floor.
        >
        > I was thinking of getting into N scale, as I had heard very little
        > about Z scale (space is limited in my apt). Then I went to the Toronto
        > Model RR Show and met Jeffrey MacHan and his outstanding Val Ease
        > Central - (I had never seen any thing like it)!! He told me about this
        > group and Z scale. That was a real eye opener for me. I have become
        > fascinated with z scale, even though I am very wet behind the ears in
        > regard to all model RR.
        >
        > I am now in the planning and studying phase before a start on my first
        > layout. I will have to wait a little longer as I am short of money
        > just now (between jobs). Just planning and dreaming is fine for now.
        >
        > If anyone wants to get in touch with me at my e-mail address below,
        > feel free to do so at any time.
        >
        > I would also like to thank Jeffrey for promoting Z scale and for this
        > group.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Howard Koch E-mail: greenforest100@...
        > Toronto, Ont.
        > Canada
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get your own email account at gbpackers.com today!

        Click here <http://www.packers.com/email/> to open your account.
      • Jay & Anne Greer
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
          Hi back to you Howard,
          I think that I can speak for all of us in saying that we welcome you to our
          Z group and that you can count on us to assist you with any questions you
          may have about modeling in Z Scale. I have been model railroading for more
          years than I care to admit to. Z scale has held my fascination for nearly
          twenty years now. If you need help just post your emergency flag to the Z
          group and I am sure that you will receive an avalanche of assistance!
          Nice to have you aboard the Z train! Best wishes and happy rails to you!
          Sincerely,
          Jay Greer/Der Wegmann

        • ddechamp71@yahoo.fr
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
            --- In z_scale@y..., "Howard Koch" <greenforest100@h...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone,
            >

            > This is a great group- the best list on the net!
            >
            > My name is Howard Koch. I am an Accountant living in Toronto,
            Ontario
            > Canada. I am new to model RR and know very little about it. But I
            have
            > had the bug in me since I was a kid, when my father had a Lionel
            > train set he ran on the living room floor.
            >
            > I was thinking of getting into N scale, as I had heard very little
            > about Z scale (space is limited in my apt). Then I went to the
            Toronto
            > Model RR Show and met Jeffrey MacHan and his outstanding Val Ease
            > Central - (I had never seen any thing like it)!! He told me about
            this
            > group and Z scale. That was a real eye opener for me. I have become
            > fascinated with z scale, even though I am very wet behind the ears
            in
            > regard to all model RR.
            >
            > I am now in the planning and studying phase before a start on my
            first
            > layout. I will have to wait a little longer as I am short of money
            > just now (between jobs). Just planning and dreaming is fine for now.
            >
            > If anyone wants to get in touch with me at my e-mail address below,
            > feel free to do so at any time.
            >
            > I would also like to thank Jeffrey for promoting Z scale and for
            this
            > group.
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > Howard Koch E-mail: greenforest100@h...
            > Toronto, Ont.
            > Canada

            Welcome in the world of Z scale modelrailroading Howard!
            About Z scale, which is I agree with you a wonderful scale, You must
            be aware of one primary important thing: there is very few choice in
            rolling stock, track and structures, in comparison with other scales;
            it`s due according to me to the fact our favorite scale is very
            marginal in the modelrailroaders world (ah, you are modelling Z, very
            funny, ah, ah!). Well, no, our scale is not desk-top or Briefcase
            scale, as other scales modelrailroaders think of it (cf.
            Modelrailroader, april issue). So what do you want to model? Very few
            choice, unless scratchbuilding.
            Basically, you have choice between European and North American trains.
            If you want European, only a main choice, Marklin Miniclub
            (essentially German, a little Swiss, a little Austrian). Very good
            products. Several small builders, who make beautiful brass models,
            like Freudenreich in Germany (but more expensive)
            On the other hand, if you want North American, one main choice:
            Microtrains: very nice models, very accurate, very good running
            characteristics, but few choice: essentially years fifties, F-units,
            a small Mogul steamer,40' and 50' boxcars,gondolas and low-capacity
            tankcars. No modern power,no double-stack, no autoracks, no TOFC.
            Marklin makes some american models (same era than Microtrains), but I
            think their shape is not prototypical. But modelrailroaders seem to
            be very happy with them . And you have small builders who make modern
            equipment, like Rogue Lines who release wonderful Dash9-44CW's (very
            expensive, about $500 each, see with www.Ztrack.com ), Pennzee who
            release coal hoppers of very good quality, and other like
            Freudenreich, who release very nice brass models like the Gunderson
            Husky car). I think that looking at all the site
            www.creativelement.com/z will give you a full idea of what is
            possible in Z. But, I think, if you want to model anything else than
            above, only one choice: scratchbuilding. But, whichever your choice,
            you will have fun. It`s according to me the only purpose in
            modelrailroading.
            Friendly!
            Dominique
          • Edward Scullin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
              Welcome to the list. Even though money might be tight, desire and
              planning can go on uninterupted. Even with a small layout you might
              wnat to include at least one open interconnection to the "outside
              world" the would permit you to hook up to a bigger layout in the
              future.
              Now is the time to explain how your railroad came into being IE what
              is the rational for it . Mine came about because during the
              migration to the west, a farming community and mining community were
              settled and each had their own railroad which merged to form one.
              Again Welcom to the list.
              Ed Scullin

              --- Howard Koch <greenforest100@...> wrote:
              > Hi everyone,
              >

              > This is a great group- the best list on the net!
              >
              > My name is Howard Koch. I am an Accountant living in Toronto,
              > Ontario
              > Canada. I am new to model RR and know very little about it. But I
              > have
              > had the bug in me since I was a kid, when my father had a Lionel
              > train set he ran on the living room floor.
              >
              > I was thinking of getting into N scale, as I had heard very little
              > about Z scale (space is limited in my apt). Then I went to the
              > Toronto
              > Model RR Show and met Jeffrey MacHan and his outstanding Val Ease
              > Central - (I had never seen any thing like it)!! He told me about
              > this
              > group and Z scale. That was a real eye opener for me. I have become
              >
              > fascinated with z scale, even though I am very wet behind the ears
              > in
              > regard to all model RR.
              >
              > I am now in the planning and studying phase before a start on my
              > first
              > layout. I will have to wait a little longer as I am short of money
              > just now (between jobs). Just planning and dreaming is fine for
              > now.
              >
              > If anyone wants to get in touch with me at my e-mail address below,
              >
              > feel free to do so at any time.
              >
              > I would also like to thank Jeffrey for promoting Z scale and for
              > this
              > group.
              >

              > Regards,
              >

              > Howard Koch E-mail: greenforest100@...
              > Toronto, Ont.
              > Canada

            • A H-Ellary
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
                hi there Howard

                what Dominique says is very true but if you really want to raise the eye
                brows then do what i do which is model z gauge (European modern image) and
                control it using DCC... you get one eye brow raised with Z gauge and all
                three ( :))) ) when you say your using DCC as well

                Anyway nice to have another member of the group

                A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

                now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
              • Howard Koch
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2001
                  Hi Ed,

                  I appreciate your welcome.

                  Cheers, Howard

                  >From: Edward Scullin <sculline@...>
                  >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Member introduction
                  >Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:26:44 -0800 (PST)
                  >
                  >Welcome to the list. Even though money might be tight, desire and
                  >planning can go on uninterupted. Even with a small layout you might
                  >wnat to include at least one open interconnection to the "outside
                  >world" the would permit you to hook up to a bigger layout in the
                  >future.
                  >Now is the time to explain how your railroad came into being IE what
                  >is the rational for it . Mine came about because during the
                  >migration to the west, a farming community and mining community were
                  >settled and each had their own railroad which merged to form one.
                  >Again Welcom to the list.
                  >Ed Scullin
                  >
                  >--- Howard Koch <greenforest100@...> wrote:
                  > > Hi everyone,
                  > >

                  > > This is a great group- the best list on the net!
                  > >
                  > > My name is Howard Koch. I am an Accountant living in Toronto,
                  > > Ontario
                  > > Canada. I am new to model RR and know very little about it. But I
                  > > have
                  > > had the bug in me since I was a kid, when my father had a Lionel
                  > > train set he ran on the living room floor.
                  > >
                  > > I was thinking of getting into N scale, as I had heard very little
                  > > about Z scale (space is limited in my apt). Then I went to the
                  > > Toronto
                  > > Model RR Show and met Jeffrey MacHan and his outstanding Val Ease
                  > > Central - (I had never seen any thing like it)!! He told me about
                  > > this
                  > > group and Z scale. That was a real eye opener for me. I have become
                  > >
                  > > fascinated with z scale, even though I am very wet behind the ears
                  > > in
                  > > regard to all model RR.
                  > >
                  > > I am now in the planning and studying phase before a start on my
                  > > first
                  > > layout. I will have to wait a little longer as I am short of money
                  > > just now (between jobs). Just planning and dreaming is fine for
                  > > now.
                  > >
                  > > If anyone wants to get in touch with me at my e-mail address below,
                  > >
                  > > feel free to do so at any time.
                  > >
                  > > I would also like to thank Jeffrey for promoting Z scale and for
                  > > this
                  > > group.
                  > >

                  > > Regards,
                  > >

                  > > Howard Koch E-mail: greenforest100@...
                  > > Toronto, Ont.
                  > > Canada

                • Howard Koch
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2001
                    Hello there A H-Ellary,

                    Nice to hear from you. I think I will have to put DCC on hold for now. It is
                    too advanced for me right now.

                    Howard in Toronto