Re: Track soldering

  • Mark Curtiss
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1 8:33 PM
      Thanks for the replies. Like I've said, I've never done Z so I'm not
      sure of the track tolerances. Very helpful information so far.

      I'm currently working on a large r/c huey helicopter and I think I
      need to relax a bit and do something else. I have too many hobbies and
      it's always nice to make the loop back to model railroading.

      By the way Adam, who's your NHL team? I'm a Avs guy. As you know, they
      were undefeated last year so watch out..LOL

      Mark
    • Tom Fisher
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2 12:32 PM
        Can you elaborate on the "rules" or guidelines for
        easements?

        --- Adam Amick <aa5821@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > Flex is great
        > to use for curves. Just be careful to lay a
        > consistent radius, and
        > possibly incorporate easements into and out of the
        > curves.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mark Curtiss
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2 4:38 PM
          LOL...I was hoping somebody got that about the NHL. Bad joke.LOL

          Also, I'm glad easements were explained when using flex track. When I
          make curves, I will get some medium or large radius curved sectional
          track (of the scale I'm modeling), solder them up to make a half
          circle, then use that as a template. I guess I've never taken into
          concideration about the easemants. Thanks for that tip.

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Moore"
          <katherinesdaddy@y...> wrote:

          > Incase some of us didn't get this at first, EVERY NHL team was
          > undefeated last season.
          >

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Curtiss" <marknkim@u...>
          wrote:

          > > Thanks for the replies. Like I've said, I've never done Z so I'm
          > not
          > > sure of the track tolerances. Very helpful information so far.
          > >
          > > I'm currently working on a large r/c huey helicopter and I think
          > > need to relax a bit and do something else. I have too many
          hobbies
          > and
          > > it's always nice to make the loop back to model railroading.
          > >
          > > By the way Adam, who's your NHL team? I'm a Avs guy. As you know,
          > they
          > > were undefeated last year so watch out..LOL
          > >
          > > Mark

        • thomascb2004
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2 6:02 PM
            I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first I soldered to
            the outside but got away from that becuase the solder has such a
            smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the results I wanted
            when weathering the track. I now solder to the bottom side of the
            track and go straight down through the roadbed etc. to the underside
            of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right where I am going
            to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the most part in
            palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a few grains of
            ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at the joints I can
            leave a small gap so the track has room to expand when temperature
            changes. Hope that helped.

            Best regards,

            Tom in Dallas

            > I don't understand. Where do you solder track if not
            > at the joints?
            >
            > --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@y...> wrote:
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            > > I have sort of gotten into
            > > soldering each
            > > piece of track and not soldering at the joints
          • Adam Amick
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2 7:25 PM
              I think what's missing here is Tom is talking about where and how he
              does his feeder wires for track power. The method he's talking about
              is more discreet than soldering to the side of rail.

              So we've got two different mini-topics in this thread. The first one
              was soldering rail before laying the track. The second one is how to
              do your power drops.

              Adam

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomascb2004" <thomascb2004@y...>

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 2 9:34 PM
                Perhaps so.

                This is not the first time I have had one thing said to me and heard
                something else.

                Tom in Corpus, what do you think?

                Best regards to all,

                Tom in Dallas

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Amick" <aa5821@s...> wrote:

                > I think what's missing here is Tom is talking about where and how
                he
                > does his feeder wires for track power. The method he's talking
                about
                > is more discreet than soldering to the side of rail.
                >
                > So we've got two different mini-topics in this thread. The first
                one
                > was soldering rail before laying the track. The second one is how
                > do your power drops.
                >
                > Adam
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomascb2004" <thomascb2004@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first I soldered
                > > the outside but got away from that becuase the solder has such a
                > > smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the results I wanted
                > > when weathering the track. I now solder to the bottom side of
                the
                > > track and go straight down through the roadbed etc. to the
                > underside
                > > of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right where I am
                > going
                > > to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the most part in
                > > palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a few grains
                of
                > > ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at the joints I
                > can
                > > leave a small gap so the track has room to expand when
                temperature
                > > changes. Hope that helped.
                > >
                > > Best regards,
                > >
                > > Tom in Dallas
                > >

                > > > I don't understand. Where do you solder track if not
                > > > at the joints?
                > > >
                > > > --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > [snip]

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 3 7:07 AM
                  --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@...> a écrit :

                  > I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first
                  > I soldered to
                  > the outside but got away from that becuase the
                  > solder has such a
                  > smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the
                  > results I wanted
                  > when weathering the track. I now solder to the
                  > bottom side of the
                  > track and go straight down through the roadbed etc.
                  > to the underside
                  > of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right
                  > where I am going
                  > to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the
                  > most part in
                  > palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a
                  > few grains of
                  > ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at
                  > the joints I can
                  > leave a small gap so the track has room to expand
                  > when temperature
                  > changes. Hope that helped.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > Tom in Dallas

                  Does that mean you don't insert any joiners between
                  your track sections?

                  Dominique

                • thomascb2004
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 3 7:32 AM
                    Dominique,

                    I most certainly do have joiners. I just do not solder them unless
                    I am on a curve using flextrack. Very sorry for that omssion.

                    ______
                    > Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo!
                    Messenger
                    > Téléchargez cette version sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

                  • Tom Fisher
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 3 9:36 AM
                      I think Adam has it straightened out.

                      The thread was discussing (a) soldering track together
                      and (b) thermal breaks if you do solder track
                      together.

                      You said you didn't solder at the joints which left me
                      in a quandary. How could you solder track together if
                      you didn't solder at the joints?

                      Adam thinks you are discussing feeder wire, which is
                      what I now think also. It certainly makes sense to
                      solder feeder wire lines at a place other than at the
                      joints.

                      Ergo, two different mini-threads if Adam's and my
                      assumption is correct.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • thomascb2004
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3 6:30 PM
                        Please accept my apologies of creating muddy waters.

                        Best regards,

                        Tom in Dallas
                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4 12:15 PM
                          --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@...> a écrit :

                          > Dominique,
                          >
                          > I most certainly do have joiners. I just do not
                          > solder them unless
                          > I am on a curve using flextrack. Very sorry for
                          > that omssion.
                          >
                          > Best regards,
                          >
                          > Tom in Dallas

                          OK Tom: I do exactly the same.....
                          All the best,
                          Dominique

                        • Rick Saviano
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 6 11:51 AM
                            Another important but subtle trick when working with flex track is to
                            slightly
                            overbend the track. One of my areas is a very tight radius curve for
                            the "L"
                            in downtown Chicago. The tension from the flex teack trying to "unflex"
                            wound
                            up distorting the structures. I solved the problem by overflexing the
                            track
                            (as everyone's pointed out, very difficult to keep gage while doing
                            this) and
                            cementing the track to clear, thin plexiglass. The plexi also makes the
                            delicate girders a bit more stable for when I eventually move the
                            layout.

                            -Rick
                          • Ed Dalman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7 9:54 PM
                              Thanks Tom

                              I just started to work with a cork roadbead for the first time.
                              What do you recommend to use as a sealer? (before it is too late to do so.)

                              I also solder pigtails at the middel of track sections and not at the joints. This works great when to make a change.

                              Take care,
                              Ed
                              Lakeside, CA

                              thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@...> wrote:
                              I agree with Adam. One additional thing I would mention about
                              flextrack, especially if you have not worked with it before...make
                              sure you do not permit flat spots in your radius. Adam said it a
                              little differently, but non-the-less.

                              If your layout is to travel (go to shows) you should seal the cork
                              roadbed at the transition points. This is subtle but important.
                              Humidity is going to creep into the cork somewhere along the way and
                              will expand. This expansion will open the pores of the cork and
                              ballast, dirt, etc will get inot the pores which will cause the cork
                              to swell. Now you have a bump in your transition and a potential
                              source for wheels to hop off track. This is more so if you use
                              Marklin expansion track.

                              As for track soldering...I have sort of gotten into soldering each
                              piece of track and not soldering at the joints (curves are the
                              obvious exception). This is a little extra work but certainly has
                              big payoff when troubleshooting or revisions that may crop up. Plus
                              expansion problems are reduced.

                              Welcome to Z Scale!

                              Tom in Dallas

                              Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

                            • thomascb2004
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 8 6:45 AM
                                Ed,

                                I have used Testor's Sanding Sealer and ballast colored Polly Scale.

                                Good luck,

                                Tom in Dallas