Re: Scratch Building

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      Scratch building a Locomotive! Where to start!

      This has to be answered in several parts.

      What kind of Locomotive do you want to replicate by scratch building
      it?

      Do you want to build the entire Loco from the ground up?

      Does a Marklin or Micro-Trains or AZL locomotive already exist that has
      the same wheel arrangement of the Loco that you want to make. Will the
      Chassis of an existing loco work for you with little or no
      modifications?

      What do you want to make your loco out of, what type of material?

      A lot of factors have to be considered before you start a project like
      this. If you just want to make a shell to place over an existing
      chassis then that is easy, but to make an entirely new loco from
      scratch is a different story. Lots of details to consider.

      Look at Lajos Thek's SW-1 switcher project. He did an ingenious thing
      and modified an already built chassis to fit under the shell of his
      etched brass shell. After having put one together more than a month
      ago I am still marveled at the complexity yet simplicity of the thing.

      Please if you will, give us more info on the type of loco you are
      thinking about scratch building. It would greatly help in finding the
      best alternative in creating it. Have a most wonderful day!

      Tim

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bjstigall" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

      > I would like to scratch build a loco... where in the world would i
      > start?

    • Stephen Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        I would start with a gp35 chassis...:)

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bjstigall" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

        > I would like to scratch build a loco... where in the world would i
        > start?

      • BJ
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          Wow! Lots to think about. Maybe I should start "simple." Perhaps a shell.
          What style of train? Don't know, maybe something that doesn't even exist in
          real life. What material? Some kind of plastic, maybe, not real sure what
          is out there, but I think brass is probably out.

        • Stephen Moore
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
            Start with what is most comfortable for you, then venture into the more
            difficult areas next time. But starting is a great start...lol
            by the way, be sure to show us some pictures of whatever you build :)

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "BJ" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

            > Wow! Lots to think about. Maybe I should start "simple." Perhaps a
            shell.
            > What style of train? Don't know, maybe something that doesn't even
            exist in
            > real life. What material? Some kind of plastic, maybe, not real
            sure what
            > is out there, but I think brass is probably out.

          • randy smidt
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
              If you are uncomfortable working with the mechanical part at this point, you could always build an unpowered or "dummy" unit with a shell on an unpowered chassis like the MTL F7 B unit does.

              Randy Smidt