Re: [Z_Scale] Re: New Layout Plan

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hello Ted, Hello Aquadave,

      >>> Maybe you can set it at a slight angle."

      >> can you elaborate for me?

      > Generally, track looks better if it doesn't just follow the edge of
      > a board. I think he means running the mainlines less parralel to the
      > edge of your layout.

      That's exactly what I meant.

      And while looking at the picture of the real thing you also uploaded,
      I'm wondering why you didn't turn the main part (the station) about
      180°. If I see it right, you are looking at your layout (it will be an
      U-shape layout along the walls of the room?) over the station building
      onto the station tracks?

      If you change from the circle or dogbone into a figure 8 form, since
      you mentioned a tunnel for the track in front of your station you have
      the elevation planed anyway (just don't make it to steep), you can put
      the station diagonal over your layout. This will avoid those parallel
      lines from the edge of the layout, and you will get some space behind
      the right end of the station area for the village, just like in the
      picture.

      About the reverse loop:

      It can be done. But you will have to change polarity while in the
      loop. Either by some kind of automation, or manually. One way is to
      use the 8993 reverse loop set. It contains three straight track pieces
      (110mm) which all have gaps in both rails, and two tracks are fitted
      with diodes. Those pieces have always to be used in the the right
      direction from track 1 to 3 (they are numbered). I used them here in
      the middle (those three lumps at the tracks above the church):

      http://tinyurl.com/9lwtm
      (this is my first test layout for playing with the wiring)

      and I always go into the loop clockwise. The turn out is permanently
      set for this way. The train stops just before he reaches the turn out
      again, and when I change the polarity it starts again to go through
      the turn out back to the rest of the layout again.

      To avoid this reverse loop you could change from a one line circle to
      a two line circle. Your layout calls for more than one power source
      anyway, since then you can do so much more, like running a train
      through the complete circle, while shunting in the freight yard at the
      same time...

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
        hello all again

        i have made a few adjustments but i will tell you first what is
        still the same and why!

        i have kept the reverse loop at one end as i am planning on only
        running passenger trains on this section as it loops back into the
        station.
        long goods trains will go via the front branch.

        on that note i have kept the front branch virtually the same for
        simplicity but it is now a large passing section.

        whats new?

        i have added some sidings to the left of the station as a small
        goods yard as the layout previously lacked much storage space!

        there is the extended double tarck section at the very front of the
        layout.

        i have removed the X crossings in most areas only one left but i
        have run out of switches :( this may be up for modification if i do
        get round to designing on the PC.

        i have kept a few of the curved turnouts for the same reason!

        i have modified the loop at the end of the layout to allow a little
        more space for me to put in a gradient that is not too steep.
        despite this space limitations have prevented me removing the S
        section but i would like recommendations as to whether to remove
        this as i can extend the layout a little but i really dont want to!

        any more suggestions will be welcome!

        Aquadave
      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
          Hello aquadave,

          > i have modified the loop at the end of the layout to allow a little
          > more space for me to put in a gradient that is not too steep.
          > despite this space limitations have prevented me removing the S
          > section but i would like recommendations as to whether to remove
          > this as i can extend the layout a little but i really dont want to!

          > any more suggestions will be welcome!

          this won't go with the track planning set, but with a software: maybe
          if you consider flextrack for some of the curves. It will allow for a
          lot more free flow track laying than sectional track. Also for any
          long stretch of straight track i would use flextrack, and thus avoid
          joints. Each rail joint is a potential place for a fault. And also
          because I'm lazy: it saves me to join 6 pieces of 110 mm if I use one
          Maerklin flextrack at 660 mm... :-)

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hi Bill

            i could have saved you time by telling you i already know about the
            real world of train operations but i have designed the layout to
            give a bit of extra operation.
            the idea of the siding where they are is so the small shunter has to
            pull back into the station then up to the top passing loop to add
            trucks to a train. it just adds a bit more operational complexity?
            anyway it made sense in my head :)
            thanks for your time Bill it is much appreciated!!

            cheers
            matt

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hoshiko" <billhko@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Do you plan to operate this layout while standing inside the U?
            > Using the photo of your track plan as a guide, will you be facing
            the
            > yards and station tracks with the short yard tracks to your left?
            >
            > Train yards have lead tracks where the locomotive is able to pull
            > trains from the yard tracks inorder to switch them about. The
            > switching moves make up a train in some kind or order. All cars
            > destined to different yards are grouped together so that there
            would
            > be a minimum of switching further down the line. In the end a
            > complete train is made up to go on the mainline.
            >
            > Your yard tracks must be long enough to accomplish this with a
            > minimum number of moves. Once the yard engine accomplishes this,
            he
            > moves the completed train onto a mainline siding where a mainline
            > locomotive will take it on the road. Mainline locomotives are
            > generally too heavy to travel on the light rail used in yard
            tracks.

            > You have designed a lead track leading to your four yard tracks
            but
            > the lead track seems to be much too short. A longer lead track
            will
            > help tremendously. The lead track should be long enough to hold
            the
            > entire contents of the longest stub ended yard track. The track
            for
            > holding the cars being assembled into a train could be the track
            > leading to the reverse loop but that would foul the tracks
            preventing
            > the turnaround of any passenger train. Scheduling could alleviate
            > this problem.
            >
            > It may seem unnecessary to plan your tracks in a prototypical
            manner
            > (and what I have discribed is far from prototypical) but if your
            > tracks are not planned before hand, they will just sit unused on
            your
            > layout. Many model railroad yards are simply display tracks for
            all
            > the equipment that the modeler owns. They just sit and collect
            > dust. Someday, you may decide that running trains around in
            circles
            > becomes boring and you may want to try some switching to make up a
            > train. Just for the fun of it. But if your track doesn't allow
            for
            > that, what can you do? Switching doesn't mean that you must have
            > industrial sidings. There is a lot of switching going on in the
            > yards them self. Maybe you could switch all of your cars by
            color,
            > or by type, or by which ones you like and which ones that you
            don't.
            > It is not necessary have to have car cards or switch lists or
            things
            > like that, but it is necessary to have FUN!
            >
            > But I like your reason for having this particular track plan.
            That's