Scratch Building

  • bjstigall
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      I would like to scratch build a loco... where in the world would i
      start?
    • its_all_downhill
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bjstigall" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

        > I would like to scratch build a loco... where in the world would i
        > start?

        Well there is a new group called Yahoo Group called Zscratch, this
        might be a good start, I have thought similar thoughts, but never got
        round to it! :)

        Regards
        Tom
      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          Scratch building a Locomotive! Where to start!

          This has to be answered in several parts.

          What kind of Locomotive do you want to replicate by scratch building
          it?

          Do you want to build the entire Loco from the ground up?

          Does a Marklin or Micro-Trains or AZL locomotive already exist that has
          the same wheel arrangement of the Loco that you want to make. Will the
          Chassis of an existing loco work for you with little or no
          modifications?

          What do you want to make your loco out of, what type of material?

          A lot of factors have to be considered before you start a project like
          this. If you just want to make a shell to place over an existing
          chassis then that is easy, but to make an entirely new loco from
          scratch is a different story. Lots of details to consider.

          Look at Lajos Thek's SW-1 switcher project. He did an ingenious thing
          and modified an already built chassis to fit under the shell of his
          etched brass shell. After having put one together more than a month
          ago I am still marveled at the complexity yet simplicity of the thing.

          Please if you will, give us more info on the type of loco you are
          thinking about scratch building. It would greatly help in finding the
          best alternative in creating it. Have a most wonderful day!

          Tim

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bjstigall" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

          > I would like to scratch build a loco... where in the world would i
          > start?

        • Stephen Moore
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
            I would start with a gp35 chassis...:)

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bjstigall" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

            > I would like to scratch build a loco... where in the world would i
            > start?

          • BJ
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
              Wow! Lots to think about. Maybe I should start "simple." Perhaps a shell.
              What style of train? Don't know, maybe something that doesn't even exist in
              real life. What material? Some kind of plastic, maybe, not real sure what
              is out there, but I think brass is probably out.

            • Stephen Moore
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
                Start with what is most comfortable for you, then venture into the more
                difficult areas next time. But starting is a great start...lol
                by the way, be sure to show us some pictures of whatever you build :)

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "BJ" <bjstigall@a...> wrote:

                > Wow! Lots to think about. Maybe I should start "simple." Perhaps a
                shell.
                > What style of train? Don't know, maybe something that doesn't even
                exist in
                > real life. What material? Some kind of plastic, maybe, not real
                sure what
                > is out there, but I think brass is probably out.

              • randy smidt
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2005
                  If you are uncomfortable working with the mechanical part at this point, you could always build an unpowered or "dummy" unit with a shell on an unpowered chassis like the MTL F7 B unit does.

                  Randy Smidt