Re: Track soldering

  • thomascb2004
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
      I agree with Adam. One additional thing I would mention about
      flextrack, especially if you have not worked with it before...make
      sure you do not permit flat spots in your radius. Adam said it a
      little differently, but non-the-less.

      If your layout is to travel (go to shows) you should seal the cork
      roadbed at the transition points. This is subtle but important.
      Humidity is going to creep into the cork somewhere along the way and
      will expand. This expansion will open the pores of the cork and
      ballast, dirt, etc will get inot the pores which will cause the cork
      to swell. Now you have a bump in your transition and a potential
      source for wheels to hop off track. This is more so if you use
      Marklin expansion track.

      As for track soldering...I have sort of gotten into soldering each
      piece of track and not soldering at the joints (curves are the
      obvious exception). This is a little extra work but certainly has
      big payoff when troubleshooting or revisions that may crop up. Plus
      expansion problems are reduced.

      Welcome to Z Scale!

      Tom in Dallas
    • Mark Curtiss
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
        Thanks for the replies. Like I've said, I've never done Z so I'm not
        sure of the track tolerances. Very helpful information so far.

        I'm currently working on a large r/c huey helicopter and I think I
        need to relax a bit and do something else. I have too many hobbies and
        it's always nice to make the loop back to model railroading.

        By the way Adam, who's your NHL team? I'm a Avs guy. As you know, they
        were undefeated last year so watch out..LOL

        Mark
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- Mark Curtiss <marknkim@...> a écrit :

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I'm new to the site and new to Z scale. I bought a
          > little set and plan
          > to build a layout very soon.
          >
          > Having done N scale, I soldered all my joints and am
          > wondering if it's
          > advisable with Z track. I've also bought some flex
          > track and was going
          > to use this for much of the layout but I thought I
          > read somewhere to
          > use it for longer straight sections. Is it a no-no
          > to use for curves
          > and all?
          >
          > Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
          >
          > Mark

          Hi Mark, if you're already a N-scaler keep in mind Z
          scale is not really different than other scales except
          of course for the size.

          So if you want to have the best electric contacts
          indeed it's advisable to solder your joints. About the
          flextrack, I don't remember to have read such topics.
          On the opposite, I believe flextrack is what is the
          best for curves, especially if you don't want to stick
          to a given curve radius and if you want to have
          easements (decreasing curve radius from straight
          section to middle of the curve), flextrack is the only
          way to go.

          Myself I only use MTL flextrack (except turnouts of
          cource) on the main layout I'm building, as I want to
          have a prototypical tie spacing, that implies I use it
          both on straight sections and curves.

          Hope this helps,

          Dominique

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
            Can you elaborate on the "rules" or guidelines for
            easements?

            --- Adam Amick <aa5821@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > Flex is great
            > to use for curves. Just be careful to lay a
            > consistent radius, and
            > possibly incorporate easements into and out of the
            > curves.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mark Curtiss
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
              LOL...I was hoping somebody got that about the NHL. Bad joke.LOL

              Also, I'm glad easements were explained when using flex track. When I
              make curves, I will get some medium or large radius curved sectional
              track (of the scale I'm modeling), solder them up to make a half
              circle, then use that as a template. I guess I've never taken into
              concideration about the easemants. Thanks for that tip.

              Mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Moore"
              <katherinesdaddy@y...> wrote:

              > Incase some of us didn't get this at first, EVERY NHL team was
              > undefeated last season.
              >

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Curtiss" <marknkim@u...>
              wrote:

              > > Thanks for the replies. Like I've said, I've never done Z so I'm
              > not
              > > sure of the track tolerances. Very helpful information so far.
              > >
              > > I'm currently working on a large r/c huey helicopter and I think
              > > need to relax a bit and do something else. I have too many
              hobbies
              > and
              > > it's always nice to make the loop back to model railroading.
              > >
              > > By the way Adam, who's your NHL team? I'm a Avs guy. As you know,
              > they
              > > were undefeated last year so watch out..LOL
              > >
              > > Mark

            • thomascb2004
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
                I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first I soldered to
                the outside but got away from that becuase the solder has such a
                smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the results I wanted
                when weathering the track. I now solder to the bottom side of the
                track and go straight down through the roadbed etc. to the underside
                of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right where I am going
                to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the most part in
                palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a few grains of
                ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at the joints I can
                leave a small gap so the track has room to expand when temperature
                changes. Hope that helped.

                Best regards,

                Tom in Dallas

                > I don't understand. Where do you solder track if not
                > at the joints?
                >
                > --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@y...> wrote:
                >
                > [snip]
                >
                > > I have sort of gotten into
                > > soldering each
                > > piece of track and not soldering at the joints
              • Adam Amick
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
                  I think what's missing here is Tom is talking about where and how he
                  does his feeder wires for track power. The method he's talking about
                  is more discreet than soldering to the side of rail.

                  So we've got two different mini-topics in this thread. The first one
                  was soldering rail before laying the track. The second one is how to
                  do your power drops.

                  Adam

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomascb2004" <thomascb2004@y...>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Perhaps so.

                    This is not the first time I have had one thing said to me and heard
                    something else.

                    Tom in Corpus, what do you think?

                    Best regards to all,

                    Tom in Dallas

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
                      --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@...> a écrit :

                      > I solder somewhere along a piece of track. At first
                      > I soldered to
                      > the outside but got away from that becuase the
                      > solder has such a
                      > smooth, shinney surface that I did not get the
                      > results I wanted
                      > when weathering the track. I now solder to the
                      > bottom side of the
                      > track and go straight down through the roadbed etc.
                      > to the underside
                      > of the layout. I clip a portion of a tie off right
                      > where I am going
                      > to solder so I have room yet the ties looks for the
                      > most part in
                      > palce. If it look bad I cover the small area with a
                      > few grains of
                      > ballast. The purpose of the trouble is so that at
                      > the joints I can
                      > leave a small gap so the track has room to expand
                      > when temperature
                      > changes. Hope that helped.
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      >
                      > Tom in Dallas

                      Does that mean you don't insert any joiners between
                      your track sections?

                      Dominique

                    • thomascb2004
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
                        Dominique,

                        I most certainly do have joiners. I just do not solder them unless
                        I am on a curve using flextrack. Very sorry for that omssion.

                        ______
                        > Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo!
                        Messenger
                        > Téléchargez cette version sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

                      • Tom Fisher
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
                          I think Adam has it straightened out.

                          The thread was discussing (a) soldering track together
                          and (b) thermal breaks if you do solder track
                          together.

                          You said you didn't solder at the joints which left me
                          in a quandary. How could you solder track together if
                          you didn't solder at the joints?

                          Adam thinks you are discussing feeder wire, which is
                          what I now think also. It certainly makes sense to
                          solder feeder wire lines at a place other than at the
                          joints.

                          Ergo, two different mini-threads if Adam's and my
                          assumption is correct.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • thomascb2004
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
                            Please accept my apologies of creating muddy waters.

                            Best regards,

                            Tom in Dallas
                          • de Champeaux Dominique
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 4, 2005
                              --- thomascb2004 <thomascb2004@...> a écrit :

                              > Dominique,
                              >
                              > I most certainly do have joiners. I just do not
                              > solder them unless
                              > I am on a curve using flextrack. Very sorry for
                              > that omssion.
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              >
                              > Tom in Dallas

                              OK Tom: I do exactly the same.....
                              All the best,
                              Dominique

                            • Rick Saviano
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2005
                                Another important but subtle trick when working with flex track is to
                                slightly
                                overbend the track. One of my areas is a very tight radius curve for
                                the "L"
                                in downtown Chicago. The tension from the flex teack trying to "unflex"
                                wound
                                up distorting the structures. I solved the problem by overflexing the
                                track
                                (as everyone's pointed out, very difficult to keep gage while doing
                                this) and
                                cementing the track to clear, thin plexiglass. The plexi also makes the
                                delicate girders a bit more stable for when I eventually move the
                                layout.

                                -Rick
                              • Ed Dalman
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  Thanks Tom

                                  I just started to work with a cork roadbead for the first time.
                                  What do you recommend to use as a sealer? (before it is too late to do so.)

                                  I also solder pigtails at the middel of track sections and not at the joints. This works great when to make a change.

                                  Take care,
                                  Ed
                                  Lakeside, CA

[...]

                                  Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Scale model train Z scale model train Z scale

                                • thomascb2004
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 8, 2005
                                    Ed,

                                    I have used Testor's Sanding Sealer and ballast colored Polly Scale.

                                    Good luck,

                                    Tom in Dallas