RE: [Z_Scale] Re: New Layout Plan

  • Ted LaMar
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
      <snip>
      also i do not quite understand what you mean by :- "1. long track
      lines parallel to the layout borders. Maybe you can set
      > it at a slight angle." - can you elaborate for me?
      </snip>

      Generally, track looks better if it doesn't just follow the edge of a board. I think he means running the mainlines less parralel to the edge of your layout.

    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hello Ted, Hello Aquadave,

        >>> Maybe you can set it at a slight angle."

        >> can you elaborate for me?

        > Generally, track looks better if it doesn't just follow the edge of
        > a board. I think he means running the mainlines less parralel to the
        > edge of your layout.

        That's exactly what I meant.

        And while looking at the picture of the real thing you also uploaded,
        I'm wondering why you didn't turn the main part (the station) about
        180°. If I see it right, you are looking at your layout (it will be an
        U-shape layout along the walls of the room?) over the station building
        onto the station tracks?

        If you change from the circle or dogbone into a figure 8 form, since
        you mentioned a tunnel for the track in front of your station you have
        the elevation planed anyway (just don't make it to steep), you can put
        the station diagonal over your layout. This will avoid those parallel
        lines from the edge of the layout, and you will get some space behind
        the right end of the station area for the village, just like in the
        picture.

        About the reverse loop:

        It can be done. But you will have to change polarity while in the
        loop. Either by some kind of automation, or manually. One way is to
        use the 8993 reverse loop set. It contains three straight track pieces
        (110mm) which all have gaps in both rails, and two tracks are fitted
        with diodes. Those pieces have always to be used in the the right
        direction from track 1 to 3 (they are numbered). I used them here in
        the middle (those three lumps at the tracks above the church):

        http://tinyurl.com/9lwtm
        (this is my first test layout for playing with the wiring)

        and I always go into the loop clockwise. The turn out is permanently
        set for this way. The train stops just before he reaches the turn out
        again, and when I change the polarity it starts again to go through
        the turn out back to the rest of the layout again.

        To avoid this reverse loop you could change from a one line circle to
        a two line circle. Your layout calls for more than one power source
        anyway, since then you can do so much more, like running a train
        through the complete circle, while shunting in the freight yard at the
        same time...

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
          hello all again

          i have made a few adjustments but i will tell you first what is
          still the same and why!

          i have kept the reverse loop at one end as i am planning on only
          running passenger trains on this section as it loops back into the
          station.
          long goods trains will go via the front branch.

          on that note i have kept the front branch virtually the same for
          simplicity but it is now a large passing section.

          whats new?

          i have added some sidings to the left of the station as a small
          goods yard as the layout previously lacked much storage space!

          there is the extended double tarck section at the very front of the
          layout.

          i have removed the X crossings in most areas only one left but i
          have run out of switches :( this may be up for modification if i do
          get round to designing on the PC.

          i have kept a few of the curved turnouts for the same reason!

          i have modified the loop at the end of the layout to allow a little
          more space for me to put in a gradient that is not too steep.
          despite this space limitations have prevented me removing the S
          section but i would like recommendations as to whether to remove
          this as i can extend the layout a little but i really dont want to!

          any more suggestions will be welcome!

          Aquadave
        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hello aquadave,

            > i have modified the loop at the end of the layout to allow a little
            > more space for me to put in a gradient that is not too steep.
            > despite this space limitations have prevented me removing the S
            > section but i would like recommendations as to whether to remove
            > this as i can extend the layout a little but i really dont want to!

            > any more suggestions will be welcome!

            this won't go with the track planning set, but with a software: maybe
            if you consider flextrack for some of the curves. It will allow for a
            lot more free flow track laying than sectional track. Also for any
            long stretch of straight track i would use flextrack, and thus avoid
            joints. Each rail joint is a potential place for a fault. And also
            because I'm lazy: it saves me to join 6 pieces of 110 mm if I use one
            Maerklin flextrack at 660 mm... :-)

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
              Hi Bill

              i could have saved you time by telling you i already know about the
              real world of train operations but i have designed the layout to
              give a bit of extra operation.
              the idea of the siding where they are is so the small shunter has to
              pull back into the station then up to the top passing loop to add
              trucks to a train. it just adds a bit more operational complexity?
              anyway it made sense in my head :)
              thanks for your time Bill it is much appreciated!!

              cheers
              matt

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hoshiko" <billhko@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Do you plan to operate this layout while standing inside the U?
              > Using the photo of your track plan as a guide, will you be facing
              the
              > yards and station tracks with the short yard tracks to your left?
              >
              > Train yards have lead tracks where the locomotive is able to pull
              > trains from the yard tracks inorder to switch them about. The
              > switching moves make up a train in some kind or order. All cars
              > destined to different yards are grouped together so that there
              would
              > be a minimum of switching further down the line. In the end a
              > complete train is made up to go on the mainline.
              >
              > Your yard tracks must be long enough to accomplish this with a
              > minimum number of moves. Once the yard engine accomplishes this,
              he
              > moves the completed train onto a mainline siding where a mainline
              > locomotive will take it on the road. Mainline locomotives are
              > generally too heavy to travel on the light rail used in yard
              tracks.

              > You have designed a lead track leading to your four yard tracks
              but
              > the lead track seems to be much too short. A longer lead track
              will
              > help tremendously. The lead track should be long enough to hold
              the
              > entire contents of the longest stub ended yard track. The track
              for
              > holding the cars being assembled into a train could be the track
              > leading to the reverse loop but that would foul the tracks
              preventing
              > the turnaround of any passenger train. Scheduling could alleviate
              > this problem.
              >
              > It may seem unnecessary to plan your tracks in a prototypical
              manner
              > (and what I have discribed is far from prototypical) but if your
              > tracks are not planned before hand, they will just sit unused on
              your
              > layout. Many model railroad yards are simply display tracks for
              all
              > the equipment that the modeler owns. They just sit and collect
              > dust. Someday, you may decide that running trains around in
              circles
              > becomes boring and you may want to try some switching to make up a
              > train. Just for the fun of it. But if your track doesn't allow
              for
              > that, what can you do? Switching doesn't mean that you must have
              > industrial sidings. There is a lot of switching going on in the
              > yards them self. Maybe you could switch all of your cars by
              color,
              > or by type, or by which ones you like and which ones that you
              don't.
              > It is not necessary have to have car cards or switch lists or
              things
              > like that, but it is necessary to have FUN!
              >
              > But I like your reason for having this particular track plan.
              That's