Re: [Z_Scale] AMERICAN SEMI TRUCK LONG NOSE TRACTORS

  • harbormaster@searails.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Sgt. Tim,

      Our wax prototype is for a WESTERN STAR 4900A, recognized by
      its distinctive vertical separator in its forward grill (see
      attached picture).

      As you know, the VOLVO/Ford uses a 45° slanted grill
      decoration.

      The WS 4900A is visibly similar more to the International 9400
      (Navistar) than the Volvos, but has classic horizontal
      headlamps, rather than the "cat's-eye" streamlined of the NAV
      9400.

      Our plan is to offer 5 different Tractor models (long nose
      AMERICAN mfgr - we will not do COE's or EU products) and
      develop Trailers as well.

      We will continue to show stages in our product development to
      provide the ZLIST participation, and opportunties for
      feedback. (I'm personally surprised no one has commented on
      the "UPS"-type Step Van).

      We are considering Diamond REO, Ford, Freightliner, GMC,
      International, Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, Sterling,
      Volvo/FORD, White/GMC Tractors, and generic "flat racks",
      goosenecks, and low-boy trailers. But we need feedback before
      we enter production.

      We will ask the group to select their favorite four from the
      list above, and package them as our recently released street
      vehicles (keeping the purchase price affordable).

      If there is not a positive indication, we will release only
      100 of the 4900A and Step Van as special runs painted to
      client specification (to get our development costs back), and
      try something else to support Z scale.

      Please see

      http://www.westernstartrucks.com/P.asp?
      Loc=Trucks&Model=4900sa&App=LongHaul&Image=7&FirstThumb=1

      for our prototype Western Star 4900 SA.

      It is custom-built with a set-back configuration for off- and
      on-highway applications.

      The Off-Highway configuration provides us a future
      opportunity for different body and trailer modeling
      applications allied with railroad traffic.

      As always, your positive comments and suggestions are welcome.

      Jim

      Harbormaster@...
      Rail Served Heavy Industry Models
      Valley Ford, CA 94972