Re: AMERICAN SEMI TRUCK LONG NOSE TRACTORS

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Jim,

      Just curious but is this the only design of a Semi Tractor that will be
      produced?

      Compared to the photo showing the 4 major Semi Tractors roaming around
      the US, the wax model looks to depict not any of the 4 but that of the
      Volvo Semi.

      The photo shows what I believe to be a Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth, and a
      GMC/White, but no Volvo.

      Thank you!

      Tim
    • harbormaster@searails.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Sgt. Tim,

        Our wax prototype is for a WESTERN STAR 4900A, recognized by
        its distinctive vertical separator in its forward grill (see
        attached picture).

        As you know, the VOLVO/Ford uses a 45° slanted grill
        decoration.

        The WS 4900A is visibly similar more to the International 9400
        (Navistar) than the Volvos, but has classic horizontal
        headlamps, rather than the "cat's-eye" streamlined of the NAV
        9400.

        Our plan is to offer 5 different Tractor models (long nose
        AMERICAN mfgr - we will not do COE's or EU products) and
        develop Trailers as well.

        We will continue to show stages in our product development to
        provide the ZLIST participation, and opportunties for
        feedback. (I'm personally surprised no one has commented on
        the "UPS"-type Step Van).

        We are considering Diamond REO, Ford, Freightliner, GMC,
        International, Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, Sterling,
        Volvo/FORD, White/GMC Tractors, and generic "flat racks",
        goosenecks, and low-boy trailers. But we need feedback before
        we enter production.

        We will ask the group to select their favorite four from the
        list above, and package them as our recently released street
        vehicles (keeping the purchase price affordable).

        If there is not a positive indication, we will release only
        100 of the 4900A and Step Van as special runs painted to
        client specification (to get our development costs back), and
        try something else to support Z scale.

        Please see

        http://www.westernstartrucks.com/P.asp?
        Loc=Trucks&Model=4900sa&App=LongHaul&Image=7&FirstThumb=1

        for our prototype Western Star 4900 SA.

        It is custom-built with a set-back configuration for off- and
        on-highway applications.

        The Off-Highway configuration provides us a future
        opportunity for different body and trailer modeling
        applications allied with railroad traffic.

        As always, your positive comments and suggestions are welcome.

        Jim

        Harbormaster@...
        Rail Served Heavy Industry Models
        Valley Ford, CA 94972