AMERICAN SEMI TRUCK LONG NOSE TRACTORS

  • sea_rails
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
      EZ Scale Motors has finished a Semi Tractor/Trailer prototype for
      Chistmas. (See _EZ Trucks in Z List 2).

      You will see wax models ready for prototype molding. Additional changes
      will be made.

      We need to ask for your comments regarding Trailers.

      1. TRAILERS - (Unloaded Frames only) Flat Racks, or Goose Necks, or Low
      Boys, or ALL 3?

      2. Volume - Would you prefer to purchase bags of 5 or 10 units.

      If you respond with your MAILING address you will receive samples when
      ready, and as always, your positive critical remarks and comments are
      welcome

      Jim
    • Larry Donsbach
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
        I am not a truck expert and I know there are a few that will give you
        some expert views on the models but from this non expert, I like them.
        They fit a need of the hobby.

        As for the trailers, I think all three are needed, if it is possible. I
        have plans for a freight station so I need a few flats and covered
        trailers. I realize that injection molding is the ideal way of getting
        more detailed models but there are a lot of us that can not afford a lot
        of $18 tractor and trailer models

        I think it would be great to have them in groups of 5. 10 might be a
        lot for a lot of modelers my self included but I am sure that I could
        incorporate groups of 5.

        Larry Donsbach
        San Antonio, TX

      • harbormaster@searails.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
          Soooo,

          How about $7 for each Semi Tractor, and $5 for each Trailer?
          That's 2/3rds of $18.

          Just asking, not written in stone, especially since we're
          only at the wax prototype model stage, and don't have any
          costs yet.

          Thanks for your response, already got your address (thanks
          for the earlier apprecaition.)

          Jim
          Harbormaster@...
          Rail Served Heavy Industry Models
          Valley Ford, CA 94972
          1-800-929-3361
        • sgt_tim7
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
            Jim,

            Just curious but is this the only design of a Semi Tractor that will be
            produced?

            Compared to the photo showing the 4 major Semi Tractors roaming around
            the US, the wax model looks to depict not any of the 4 but that of the
            Volvo Semi.

            The photo shows what I believe to be a Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth, and a
            GMC/White, but no Volvo.

            Thank you!

            Tim
          • harbormaster@searails.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
              Hi Sgt. Tim,

              Our wax prototype is for a WESTERN STAR 4900A, recognized by
              its distinctive vertical separator in its forward grill (see
              attached picture).

              As you know, the VOLVO/Ford uses a 45° slanted grill
              decoration.

              The WS 4900A is visibly similar more to the International 9400
              (Navistar) than the Volvos, but has classic horizontal
              headlamps, rather than the "cat's-eye" streamlined of the NAV
              9400.

              Our plan is to offer 5 different Tractor models (long nose
              AMERICAN mfgr - we will not do COE's or EU products) and
              develop Trailers as well.

              We will continue to show stages in our product development to
              provide the ZLIST participation, and opportunties for
              feedback. (I'm personally surprised no one has commented on
              the "UPS"-type Step Van).

              We are considering Diamond REO, Ford, Freightliner, GMC,
              International, Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt, Sterling,
              Volvo/FORD, White/GMC Tractors, and generic "flat racks",
              goosenecks, and low-boy trailers. But we need feedback before
              we enter production.

              We will ask the group to select their favorite four from the
              list above, and package them as our recently released street
              vehicles (keeping the purchase price affordable).

              If there is not a positive indication, we will release only
              100 of the 4900A and Step Van as special runs painted to
              client specification (to get our development costs back), and
              try something else to support Z scale.

              Please see

              http://www.westernstartrucks.com/P.asp?
              Loc=Trucks&Model=4900sa&App=LongHaul&Image=7&FirstThumb=1

              for our prototype Western Star 4900 SA.

              It is custom-built with a set-back configuration for off- and
              on-highway applications.

              The Off-Highway configuration provides us a future
              opportunity for different body and trailer modeling
              applications allied with railroad traffic.

              As always, your positive comments and suggestions are welcome.

              Jim

              Harbormaster@...
              Rail Served Heavy Industry Models
              Valley Ford, CA 94972