attn: Rob Kluz

  • Ole.Rosted@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 1999
      On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:19:50 EDT, you wrote:

      > Honestly, the first 13 years where very frustrating for me (I
      >have been modeling Z for 14 years!). Only lately, concepts, ideas, and skills
      >have come together to give me a wonderful running Z layout.

      What a perspective - 14 years. My 8800 will have killed me long before
      that!

      >I have found most frustrations can me
      >eliminated at track level. Careful assembly of track and frequent cleanings
      >and maintenance helps keep locos running.

      I have come to this conclusion too. It is not the rolling stock! All
      evil is coming from the tracks. Turnouts in particular. They are a
      complete disaster, but I guess that Bill Kronenberger is right, when
      he suggests, that lousy construction lends itself to mass production.

      On the other hand - if you - through your 10x hoods - look at the
      pantographs (is this the correct term in english for these things
      collecting current from a cable over the tracks?) you will see that
      near-watch-maker accuracy is not completely impossible in mass
      producted z-gear. Then why not in turnouts, their details being
      several 100 times as big.

      >I also found that the truck based locos
      >such as the DB class 111 or U.S. F7 run much better on a layout then a 2-10-0
      >steam loco. It is just the nature of the loco.

      Yes, I guess so.

      >How large of a layout do you want? What do you
      >demand from your trains.

      Nothing much. Smooth running of 0-6-0s even at loooow speed on *all*
      tracks - turnouts and crossings included.

      >freight on the branch. (Photos of the layout can be found at www.ztrack.com
      >in the gallery section)

      Been there, seen the photo. I think that your plural is a little
      misleading, when all there is, is one photo. But beautiful layout!
      More pictures please!

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • Ztrack@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
        Ole and others:

        I have more photos of the layout! Click on the 'Gallery' icon on the home
        page (www.ztrack.com). This will take you to a page where layout will be
        listed (currently mine is the only one). Then select the photo and this will
        take you to a page with 8 other photos of the layout. Or you can just go to:
        http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKLOpg.html. By clicking on the photos, a
        larger version will appear. The photos are a little dated, but it should give
        you a good idea of my layout.

        Bill mentioned in a previous e-mail to run your fingers along the track and
        look for bumps and rough spots. This is very good advice. Another set of
        tools you might want to invest in is a set of jewelers files. I found that I
        can often file down small imperfections in my track. This really helps to
        smooth operations. Also, some Zers file down the front of the fogs on
        turnouts to help Z locos run over them better.

        Since the 0-6-0 is the one locos you really want to run well, your track is
        going to need to be perfect. I run the 0-6-0 on my layout, but even with a
        RELCO track cleaner, I find I need to run it on the fast side. Even then,
        stalls occur, but derails I not as frequent as they used to be (thanks to
        fine tuning my track work).

        Enjoy the photos!

        Rob Kluz
        Ztrack Magazine
      • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
          Rob:

          > page with 8 other photos of the layout. Or you can just go to:
          > http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/RKLOpg.html

          You did good. No, great.

          When will you have an open house? All 70+ members of the list group would
          like to stop in and run trains on your layout, after looking at the pictures.

          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • Anders Lattermann
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 1999
            > Bill mentioned in a previous e-mail to run your fingers along the
            > track and
            > look for bumps and rough spots. This is very good advice. Another set of
            > tools you might want to invest in is a set of jewelers files. I
            > found that I
            > can often file down small imperfections in my track. This really helps to
            > smooth operations. Also, some Zers file down the front of the fogs on
            > turnouts to help Z locos run over them better.

            I have noticed that the 8802 Schienenreinigungswagen helps over the time to
            file down bumps to - if you're to lazy to do it manually! ;-)

            /Anders
          • Ztrack@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 1999
              Bill,

              Stop by any time! Just give me an hours notice so I clean the track ;-). I
              have some updating to do with the photos though. I have been working more in
              the town and yard area. A small hill now anchors the 4 lane highway near the
              town, plus 50+ trees have been added since the photos taken. I still have
              much work ahead!

              Bill and any list members, if you are in the Columbus, Ohio area, please
              contact me. I would be happy to open the house and show off the layout!

              Rob Kluz
              Ztrack Magazine
            • Jeffrey MacHan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 1999
                Rob, if I had known you last summer before the NTS 1999 in Saint Paul, I
                would have made a bee line to your house after the show. Thanks for the
                invitation.

                Jeffrey

              • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.x.xxxxx)
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 10, 1999
                  Dear Anders,

                  you must be a very young lad to have time for waiting the 8802 has smoothend the
                  missmatched track. I am over 60, so I use my finger tip :-))).

                  Also Essen, my hometown, is gray and rainy at the moment. Cheer up!! Have an
                  oel at the Tivoli.

                  Greetings

                  Dieter

                  Anders Lattermann schrieb:
                  > From: "Anders Lattermann" <latte2l@...>
                  >
                  > > Bill mentioned in a previous e-mail to run your fingers along the
                  > > track and
                  > > look for bumps and rough spots. This is very good advice. Another set of
                  > > tools you might want to invest in is a set of jewelers files. I
                  > > found that I
                  > > can often file down small imperfections in my track. This really helps to
                  > > smooth operations. Also, some Zers file down the front of the fogs on
                  > > turnouts to help Z locos run over them better.
                  >
                  > I have noticed that the 8802 Schienenreinigungswagen helps over the time to
                  > file down bumps to - if you're to lazy to do it manually! ;-)
                  >
                  > /Anders
                  >
                  > > Small iZ Beautiful!

                  Dieter W. Nolte
                  E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...