Re: Digital Z attn. Anders L.

  • Ole Rosted
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
      On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:20:31 +0200, you wrote:

      Hi Anders,

      >This is the big problem I have concluded. If you don't know where your
      >trains are you cannot run more than you can see with your eyes and handle
      >with your brain. Digital control or not doesn't care.

      My *eyes* are OK :-)

      You know Anders, there's a big difference between us. You are a lucky
      man! You have a nice layout with digital control - I have NOTHING!
      Nothing but a layout on which my 8800 jumps around like i sick
      kangaroo - and some daydream about digital control.

      This little monster andt it's fellow tyrant - my 8864 -, crept into my
      z-world disguised (spelling?) as - in my eyes - small wonders of
      miniature-modelling, but they have by now taken total control of my
      life. In the z-universe and beyond.

      At times - when I'm really down in the dumps - I put my el-loco on the
      tracks and enjoy the smooth elegance with which it pulls my new
      pullman wagons around on my layout.

      And then I return to misery and the 8800/-64.

      BUT - I'm stubborn enough not to yield. Those little innocent looking
      bastards will have to - and will - in due time be running just as god
      as the el.locos. I do not intend to let a dead frog ruin the time
      spent with my trains. (What a picture)

      It is just a matter of putting on my surgeons optical headgear and
      start all over again with my layout, this time with flex-tracks cut
      and curved to fit, homemade (=built from kits :) ) turnouts, not using
      MERKUR track-beds (if they do not go along with my homemade turnouts
      and crossings) etc,etc.......

      My small colection of small tools (until now consisting of nothing but
      tweezers, knives and an el. jig saw used for scenery building)
      incorporates as of this date als� a small electrical rotating tool for
      cutting and grinding/polishing.

      Boy - this hobby is expensive!

      When my 4th rebuild is near it's completion, I will begin to take
      digital control into consideration once more. But not before that!
      And I will surely take a further look at the CTI system - from your
      fine description and the manual I have downloaded.

      But it's still my opinion that remote (digital) control should control
      the trains - not the track!

      Thank you for taking your time to explain the CTI system!

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • Anders Lattermann
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
        > And then I return to misery and the 8800/-64.

        My 8805/8864 runs okey from the beginning, but my rails are very oily and
        that seams to help actually (well, not in pulling power, but there is this
        trimmer oil that isn't so slippery and sticky and doesn't reduce pulling
        power that the N folks recomend.

        But you can what it seams get the same electrical performance with standard
        M�rklin oil though ;-)

        Anyway, apart from the oil a Relco/Gaugemaster HF1 electronic track cleaner
        helps all locos performance and especially the smaller ones.

        > When my 4th rebuild is near it's completion, I will begin to take
        > digital control into consideration once more. But not before that!
        > And I will surely take a further look at the CTI system - from your
        > fine description and the manual I have downloaded.

        The CTI system can use a Relco/Gaugemaster HF1 on each Smart Cab what it
        seams. I got permission from CTI to test it with the Smart Cab and the tests
        have worked ok so far!

        > But it's still my opinion that remote (digital) control should control
        > the trains - not the track!

        With DCC, you don't use a Relco/Gaugemaster HF1, it will toast your
        decoder...

        God luck and may the Z be with you!
        /Anders
      • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
          Anders:

          All those rain clouds must have clouded your memory. First Ole, now you.
          <grin>

          > My 8805/8864 runs okey from the beginning, but my rails are very oily and
          > that seams to help actually (well, not in pulling power, but there is this
          > trimmer oil that isn't so slippery and sticky and doesn't reduce pulling
          > power that the N folks recomend.

          I'm delighted you tried the 20 year old "fix" I mentioned....from N scale's
          John Allen.....with the clipper oil. But one drop on your index finger,
          applied at 3 foot intervals by a simple touch to the rails....is the absolute
          maximum amount of oil you should be putting on the track. After running
          trains for a few loops around the layout, you should not be able to see, feel
          or smell it. There should be no accumlations on train wheels either. I've
          not heard of any other oil being used. A little is great. A lot is bad.
          Very bad.

          It might be a minor point, but I don't want to be drummed off the list and
          condemmed to a life on Rec.Model.Railroad.and.assorted.worthless.messages
          because someone pours a cup of automotive motor oil on their track. Then
          comes looking for me.

          Regards,
          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • Anders Lattermann
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 1999
            > I'm delighted you tried the 20 year old "fix" I mentioned....from
            > N scale's
            > John Allen.....with the clipper oil. But one drop on your index finger,

            I haven't tried the clipper oil, I still haven't got any.

            I use standard M�rklin oil. Well, not on purpose, it just came out of some
            locos. It's on my test layout which also serves as maintainance and running
            in oval and after service some locos dripped oil on the tracks and I've
            never cleaned them so slippery it is, but electrical performance is good!

            /Anders