MTL New Track Question?

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      Anyone have any ideas or speculation as to why there are 4 small ball
      bearings contacting the rails under the new MTL track?

      There are also holes in the plastic roadbed under the rails. What on
      earth could they be for?

      Curious don't you think?

      -Robert
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
        Robert,

        They may be attached to the rail somehow or part of it initially and they
        keep the rail from sliding either direction. I am thinking that if your are
        REALLY good at soldering you might remove a bit of plastic and solder a
        feeder wire to it.

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
          Robert,
          This is only a guess. The bearings are there to provide tension to keep the
          rails against the spikes to keep the rails from sliding. The holes are there to
          cut down on friction (reduce contact surface area) while the rails are being
          inserted.
          Dan S.
          P.S.- Loren- if those are actually bearings, it would be nearly impossible to
          get them hot enough for solder to take without destroying the roadbed.
          Hardened steel doesn't take to solder very well.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
            Right on Dan. I was told that they, (whatever they are) were to keep the
            rail from sliding.