Re: GP-35 consist

  • Adam Amick
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      I pretty much concur with Robert on this. Though I would use GP35s
      to pull modern-day well cars and rolling stock, I think running
      things up to about 1985 would be prototypical. Maybe even 1990.

      Regardless, it's about your choices as CEO of your railroad.

      After all, in my world, Chessie still rides the rails, clawing her
      way up the Alleghenies every day with long coal drags, unit trains,
      and mixed freights.

      And since I'm starting to feel more confident about this airbrushing
      and decaling thing, I may be ordering more undec MT freight cars to
      paint into what I want to see... (Rail Box being first on the list)
      I may even look into re-numbering the Chessie 50 foot boxcars I have.

      Then I'll roll into scratch building coal cars, since you can't have
      enough of those (especially when you have none at present!).

      Anyway, I look forward to running a consist of A C&O GP35/C&O
      F7A/B&O GP35 here soon...

      ...now where's those decoders!? Come on Digitrax! (yes, I know
      existing ones could be fitted, I'm just hoping to make life easier
      with the board).

      Adam

      PS... ROLL TIDE!

    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        In a message dated 10/1/2005 6:39:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        tfisher10@... writes:
        Forgetting about road names and coloring schemes, what
        cars would be appropriate in a GP-35 consist?

        I would have to agree with Robert on this one. Pretty much everything would
        work, in one way or another. Almost all of MT's line would be prototypical for
        the 60's. Since the GP35 didn't come out until '64, I would stay away from
        MT's wood sided box cars, or anything with a roof mounted brake wheel. At least
        for over road traffic. Some of these cars were probably still in operation on
        branch lines. Also, Father Nature/PennZee Billboard Reefers are way too old.
        PennZees hoppers and reefers would both work. For FR's unit train and more
        modern cars, the GP35's could probably be used for switching, branch-lines, or
        helper service. It would take a lot of GP35's to pull a full consist of coal
        porters. FR's two bay hoppers could also work. You can still see a few two bay
        coal hoppers around servicing small industries and other "local" traffic.
        Your question also depends on the era you are modelling. If you are
        modelling 1965, it is quite different from 1995.

        Dan S.

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          As far as cabooses go, on north eastern roads, anyway, for the 60's, 70's and
          early 80's yes. After that, they are very rare.
          Dan S.