Re: GP-35 consist

  • GordonWerner
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      I still see Northern Pacific, Southern Pacific, Great Northern woodchip cars here in
      Seattle ... not behind GP-35s ... but my point is anything is possible in today's save every
      cent you can world.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:
      > Pretty much most all of the cars available from all listed
      > manufacturers will look OK with the GP's.
      >
      > They have been on the railroads from the mid 60's to present, so the
      > easiest way to decide is, were the cars you want to run behind the
      > GP's still on the rails in 1965?
      >
      > So, what looks good? Well, I seen several GP39's (rebuilt GP30's and
      > 35's) pulling containers in Seattle last year, and while researching
      > paint schemes for these geeps, I have ran across all kinds of trains
      > with flat cars, TOFC, covered and open hoppers of every kind,
      > centerbeam cars, boxcars up the ying, gondolas, log cars, and yes,
      > cabooses of all kinds.
      >
      > And remember the model railroaders rule, no matter what you model,
      > someone will find a prototype photograph of it.
      >
      > -Robert
    • Adam Amick
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        I pretty much concur with Robert on this. Though I would use GP35s
        to pull modern-day well cars and rolling stock, I think running
        things up to about 1985 would be prototypical. Maybe even 1990.

        Regardless, it's about your choices as CEO of your railroad.

        After all, in my world, Chessie still rides the rails, clawing her
        way up the Alleghenies every day with long coal drags, unit trains,
        and mixed freights.

        And since I'm starting to feel more confident about this airbrushing
        and decaling thing, I may be ordering more undec MT freight cars to
        paint into what I want to see... (Rail Box being first on the list)
        I may even look into re-numbering the Chessie 50 foot boxcars I have.

        Then I'll roll into scratch building coal cars, since you can't have
        enough of those (especially when you have none at present!).

        Anyway, I look forward to running a consist of A C&O GP35/C&O
        F7A/B&O GP35 here soon...

        ...now where's those decoders!? Come on Digitrax! (yes, I know
        existing ones could be fitted, I'm just hoping to make life easier
        with the board).

        Adam

        PS... ROLL TIDE!

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          In a message dated 10/1/2005 6:39:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          tfisher10@... writes:
          Forgetting about road names and coloring schemes, what
          cars would be appropriate in a GP-35 consist?

          I would have to agree with Robert on this one. Pretty much everything would
          work, in one way or another. Almost all of MT's line would be prototypical for
          the 60's. Since the GP35 didn't come out until '64, I would stay away from
          MT's wood sided box cars, or anything with a roof mounted brake wheel. At least
          for over road traffic. Some of these cars were probably still in operation on
          branch lines. Also, Father Nature/PennZee Billboard Reefers are way too old.
          PennZees hoppers and reefers would both work. For FR's unit train and more
          modern cars, the GP35's could probably be used for switching, branch-lines, or
          helper service. It would take a lot of GP35's to pull a full consist of coal
          porters. FR's two bay hoppers could also work. You can still see a few two bay
          coal hoppers around servicing small industries and other "local" traffic.
          Your question also depends on the era you are modelling. If you are
          modelling 1965, it is quite different from 1995.

          Dan S.

        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            As far as cabooses go, on north eastern roads, anyway, for the 60's, 70's and
            early 80's yes. After that, they are very rare.
            Dan S.