Re: GP-35 consist

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      Pretty much most all of the cars available from all listed
      manufacturers will look OK with the GP's.

      They have been on the railroads from the mid 60's to present, so the
      easiest way to decide is, were the cars you want to run behind the
      GP's still on the rails in 1965?

      So, what looks good? Well, I seen several GP39's (rebuilt GP30's and
      35's) pulling containers in Seattle last year, and while researching
      paint schemes for these geeps, I have ran across all kinds of trains
      with flat cars, TOFC, covered and open hoppers of every kind,
      centerbeam cars, boxcars up the ying, gondolas, log cars, and yes,
      cabooses of all kinds.

      And remember the model railroaders rule, no matter what you model,
      someone will find a prototype photograph of it.

      -Robert
    • GordonWerner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        I still see Northern Pacific, Southern Pacific, Great Northern woodchip cars here in
        Seattle ... not behind GP-35s ... but my point is anything is possible in today's save every
        cent you can world.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:
        > Pretty much most all of the cars available from all listed
        > manufacturers will look OK with the GP's.
        >
        > They have been on the railroads from the mid 60's to present, so the
        > easiest way to decide is, were the cars you want to run behind the
        > GP's still on the rails in 1965?
        >
        > So, what looks good? Well, I seen several GP39's (rebuilt GP30's and
        > 35's) pulling containers in Seattle last year, and while researching
        > paint schemes for these geeps, I have ran across all kinds of trains
        > with flat cars, TOFC, covered and open hoppers of every kind,
        > centerbeam cars, boxcars up the ying, gondolas, log cars, and yes,
        > cabooses of all kinds.
        >
        > And remember the model railroaders rule, no matter what you model,
        > someone will find a prototype photograph of it.
        >
        > -Robert
      • Adam Amick
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          I pretty much concur with Robert on this. Though I would use GP35s
          to pull modern-day well cars and rolling stock, I think running
          things up to about 1985 would be prototypical. Maybe even 1990.

          Regardless, it's about your choices as CEO of your railroad.

          After all, in my world, Chessie still rides the rails, clawing her
          way up the Alleghenies every day with long coal drags, unit trains,
          and mixed freights.

          And since I'm starting to feel more confident about this airbrushing
          and decaling thing, I may be ordering more undec MT freight cars to
          paint into what I want to see... (Rail Box being first on the list)
          I may even look into re-numbering the Chessie 50 foot boxcars I have.

          Then I'll roll into scratch building coal cars, since you can't have
          enough of those (especially when you have none at present!).

          Anyway, I look forward to running a consist of A C&O GP35/C&O
          F7A/B&O GP35 here soon...

          ...now where's those decoders!? Come on Digitrax! (yes, I know
          existing ones could be fitted, I'm just hoping to make life easier
          with the board).

          Adam

          PS... ROLL TIDE!

        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            In a message dated 10/1/2005 6:39:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            tfisher10@... writes:
            Forgetting about road names and coloring schemes, what
            cars would be appropriate in a GP-35 consist?

            I would have to agree with Robert on this one. Pretty much everything would
            work, in one way or another. Almost all of MT's line would be prototypical for
            the 60's. Since the GP35 didn't come out until '64, I would stay away from
            MT's wood sided box cars, or anything with a roof mounted brake wheel. At least
            for over road traffic. Some of these cars were probably still in operation on
            branch lines. Also, Father Nature/PennZee Billboard Reefers are way too old.
            PennZees hoppers and reefers would both work. For FR's unit train and more
            modern cars, the GP35's could probably be used for switching, branch-lines, or
            helper service. It would take a lot of GP35's to pull a full consist of coal
            porters. FR's two bay hoppers could also work. You can still see a few two bay
            coal hoppers around servicing small industries and other "local" traffic.
            Your question also depends on the era you are modelling. If you are
            modelling 1965, it is quite different from 1995.

            Dan S.

          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              As far as cabooses go, on north eastern roads, anyway, for the 60's, 70's and
              early 80's yes. After that, they are very rare.
              Dan S.