Another MTL Roadbed Track Test

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hello Zeds,

      Now that I have test ovals (within an oval)
      of the small radius track, here is a brief
      observation: Appearance is clean and general
      performance is very reliable, however, all locomotives
      slow down as they negotiate the tight radius.
      This tells me that the wheels are not getting full contact
      with the rail. They are getting juice, so they do
      keep going, but the effective traction is reduced,
      causing the trains to slow down. This observation
      is very apparent while hauling at least 10 cars.
      At the slowest possible speed for a train, you
      might see the engine stutter as it rounds the
      tight radius. This can cause decouplings and
      other nuisances --- not very prototypical.
      Real railroads use easements, that is, a
      gradual spline curve that "eases" the train
      into a loop throughout mountainous regions.
      I doubt that we will ever see that in this roadbed
      track -- we'll have to build our own.

      But this is one very good reason for us to demand
      and expect larger radii configurations in our
      roadbeded track. Not just for appearances, but
      for performance.

      Best regards,
      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com