Re: I'm back - sort of

  • Steve Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3 11:40 AM
      Hello Ole -

      My main interest is Marklin (and compatible AC) HO, but I have the same
      difficulties when it comes to my "little trains".

      Of the main two sizes available (Z & N), Marklin Z (I don't model US.) to
      me has the looks and the track and wheel standards look right.
      Unfortunately, it cannot I think match the performance of Fleischmann or
      Minitrix N.

      At the moment I have a little Z material for the reasons above, but
      everything has to be right for it to run well. I don't really think in my
      case that I am dissatisfied with Marklin's build quality, but Z is very "on
      the edge" of practicability when it comes to size.

      So, at the moment I am still undecided whether to keep this or go back to

      You are not alone in your frustrations.

      "To be free, to be who you are"

    • Ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4 7:19 AM
        Steve and other frustrated Zers�

        I have watched and read with interest about your frustrations with Z scale.
        These are the same frustrations many of us felt as we advanced through our
        learning curve. Honestly, the first 13 years where very frustrating for me (I
        have been modeling Z for 14 years!). Only lately, concepts, ideas, and skills
        have come together to give me a wonderful running Z layout. I have watched
        Fleischman and Minitrix N trains run, and you are right, their performance is
        great, but with a little effort, your Z trains can run just as well.

        I am not talking about gutting a loco and adding new motors like some have
        suggested in the past. I am talking about using the M�rklin standard locos
        with 3 (and now 5) pole motors. I have found most frustrations can me
        eliminated at track level. Careful assembly of track and frequent cleanings
        and maintenance helps keep locos running. Keeping the track clean helps to
        keep the wheels of the loco dirt free. Clean wheels mean electrical pickup
        and performance. A RELCO track cleaning unit really helps as well!

        Next, look at your inventory of locomotives. If the only loco you are running
        is an 0-6-0 (standard with many starter kits), yes you will be frustrated.
        This loco is too light, does not have enough electrical pickup and tends to
        'bounce' around the layout. In Z, size does matter. I found the larger the
        loco, the better the performance. I also found that the truck based locos
        such as the DB class 111 or U.S. F7 run much better on a layout then a 2-10-0
        steam loco. It is just the nature of the loco.

        Another idea to avoid frustration is to seriously examine what you would like
        from your trains and layout. How large of a layout do you want? What do you
        demand from your trains. For instance, I want to be able to pull long trains
        on my mainline without modifying my M�rklin locos. I therefore avoided any
        grades on the mainline. Through the use of varied heights of scenery, The
        main line almost appears to raise and lower, but it is level. This enables me
        to run trains such as the full 8 car Orient Express behind a 4-6-0 without
        any hesitation or slowdown.

        As for my branch line, I added a few steep grades in order to move the branch
        line up to the main line level. But, I have cut running performance in half.
        For instance, a twelve car freight on the main might only be a six car
        freight on the branch. (Photos of the layout can be found at www.ztrack.com
        in the gallery section)

        Steve and others, these are just some tips on avoiding the common
        frustrations associated with Z. There are many other tips out there to help.
        Time and learning are by far the best way to overcome frustrations. So please
        be patient. Steve, I hope you stick with Z, it is wonderful! Where else can
        one model a 1/2 mile of mainline on an extra wall or do an incredibly
        detailed layout in a briefcase or coffee table.

        I hope this helps!

        Rob Kluz
        Ztrack Magazine